PDA

View Full Version : Woods ZTR mowers

Circle 4 Ranch
03-01-2010, 04:27 PM
I've been lurking here for awhile. In the market for ZTR. The mower I like is Grasshopper with the front deck, with diesel. I heard that Woods mowers are made by Grasshopper. Does anyone know? And any opinions on Woods.

I don't recall ever seeing them even mentioned so they must not be a mainstream mower.

Mowingman
03-01-2010, 07:55 PM
Grasshopper quit building mowers for Woods back in the mid 90's. Since then, Woods has contracted with a whole bunch of different companies to build their mowers. They change manufacturers about every two or three years when their contracts expire.
If you want a Grasshopper, then you will have to buy a Grasshopper.

Sammy
03-02-2010, 07:13 AM
Gravely made them for a few years also.
Heard someplace that Woods is making the outfront themselves ???

Bob Cat makes their mid-mount.

ALC-GregH
03-02-2010, 08:38 AM
Grasshopper makes a nice machine. If that's what your looking for, don't bother looking at the Woods. They are not the same. I'm stuck with what I have, for now. When it's time to buy again, I'll definitely buy a GH. The attachments alone will make my life easier.

4man
03-02-2010, 10:07 AM
We had woods to start off with. Then we went to ZTR's. If you like the front mount deck woods and grasshopper are great, also check out exmarks FrontRunner. Its the same kind of setup, only with an exmark name and durabilty

Mowingman
03-02-2010, 01:46 PM
The Exmark front deck machine is no longer in production. It was a poorly engineered dog that cost Exmark a lot of money in warranty claims. They never could compete with Grasshopper for market share.
If you want a front deck machine that is state of the art, well built, easy to use, and easy to maintain, you have one choice, Grasshopper.

We had woods to start off with. Then we went to ZTR's. If you like the front mount deck woods and grasshopper are great, also check out exmarks FrontRunner. Its the same kind of setup, only with an exmark name and durabilty

Circle 4 Ranch
03-02-2010, 02:24 PM
From the research I have done, I was fairly sure that was the answer. GH are pricy. I may have to settle for a mid mount.

Mowingman
03-02-2010, 06:44 PM
Keep an eye on Craigslist. I have seen some nice Grasshopper front-deck machines listed for sale at very reasonable prices.