PDA

View Full Version : Snapper 26" Mower

intimidator782
03-01-2010, 08:43 PM
I have the chance to buy a Snapper 26" commercial grade mower. It has a Robin/Subaru 6.0 HP motor on it. Its got 6 speeds and a blade clutch. Its in really good condition and it looks like new. The only problem is the pull cord broke so i cant start it until i buy it and work on it. This guy doesnt know how to fix it. He says he was given it from his father in law and doesnt have a need for it. He only wants $100 for it. Im currently using a Craftsman "21 for a push mower. I think this would be a great deal for me but i dont know anything about these. Anyone with experience your input is greatly appreciated. I guess im asking if this would be a good mower that will last for me. Im only part time right now but i want to increase this year.

lawnwizards
03-01-2010, 09:10 PM
the cord shouldnt take more than 5 minutes to fix. my only concern is that the cord broke because of engine seizure. check the oil in it and see if what it looks like. then take off the cover and try to manually spin the flywheel. if everything seems o.k. i think 100 bucks is alright.

intimidator782
03-01-2010, 11:03 PM
To the top: need some answers before tomorrow. I know theres guys on here that run 26"

Tinkerer
03-02-2010, 03:21 AM
If your not broke, $100 is not a bad risk that the motor might be bad. Will he take $75? If the motor is bad another engine that size would not be too expensive. Snappers always have fairly good quality. If you remove the spark plug wire, try and crank the engine around 5 to 10 revolutions by pushing on the engine intake screen or by reaching under and turning the engine with the blade. Carefull if the blade has just been sharpened you could cut yourself. The engine should have compression and resist turning after 1 or 2 revolutions but you should be able to turn it past the compression.

THC
03-02-2010, 04:18 AM
6HP is too little for 26 unless the grass is dry and light. Half the time it's barely adequate for a 21" (imo at least).

Merkava_4
03-02-2010, 04:41 AM
Does a Snapper 26" look like a Snapper 21" ?

I've never seen a Snapper 26" :confused:

intimidator782
03-02-2010, 10:57 PM
I went ahead and bought the mower today. Got the pull start fixed and got a spark plug (didnt have one) started up with some starting fluid. It seems to be a pretty good mower for now. I broke one of the cables tryin to free it up but i think i can get one fairly cheap. Still needs a good tinkering but i think i can get it there. I read on here that they have a bad problem with the tranny. I hate to say it but i think this one is about to go. It kinda hesitates unless you push it a little to get it goin. Is there anything i can do to make it better? Should i just replace the transmission? If i replace it how long should it last? Any opinion is greatly appreciated.

THC
03-03-2010, 12:53 AM
Is it an exmark or really a snapper? If it has trouble running put some seafoam is the gas, that stuff really works well. I don't know anything about the tranny though

lawnboy dan
03-03-2010, 09:42 AM
if you dont know anything about the snapper drive system -you shouldnt have bought this pos-you didnt get ONE positive comment on this mower-the fact that no one here uses one should have benn a tip-off. good luck!

sehitchman
03-03-2010, 09:58 AM
If you decide you don't want it, I'll give you $100 for it. The tranny is simple and same as the common rear engine ride on. You most likely need a drive disc or rubber ring which wears out. You should never need to replace the whole transmission, take a look, you will surprised how simple it is. They are easy to work on and parts are readily available from a snapper dealer. Ive got three now and they cut fine on bermuda here. I use the crappiest one for clearing tall stuff that has not been mowed in awhile. I almost always have one on the trailer. They are light and easy to use on steep hills without giving up production and speed of using a 21. The manual can be downloaded from the snapper site.

ProcsLC
03-03-2010, 10:10 AM
If you decide you don't want it, I'll give you $100 for it. The tranny is simple and same as the common rear engine ride on. You most likely need a drive disc or rubber ring which wears out. You should never need to replace the whole transmission, take a look, you will surprised how simple it is. They are easy to work on and parts are readily available from a snapper dealer. Ive got three now and they cut fine on bermuda here. I use the crappiest one for clearing tall stuff that has not been mowed in awhile. I almost always have one on the trailer. They are light and easy to use on steep hills without giving up production and speed of using a 21. The manual can be downloaded from the snapper site.

Agree... These mowers are just little machines, AND a lot of people on this site DO use them... We run all Snapper and have for a few years now. The simple tranny design on these is easy to work on and 90% of the time its a rubber o-ring which is easy to spot and see... I would throw a cable on it and check out the tranny on your own... Great little machines, like he said, light weight... smooth operation... I would say with a little work you got a great deal.

Jason Rose
03-03-2010, 10:19 AM
I finally bought a used snapper 21" with the same Robin engine your 26" has on it. They are pretty much bulletproof little engines.

I think your drive issues are the disk as well, and two, even if the rubber disk is still in good condition you may just need to run it a while to get any gunk cleaned off the metal disk so the rubber one 'bites' onto it better.

I've always wanted to see what the grass catcher looked like on the snapper 26" I believe their website says there's one available, but there's no pics.

And to whom said the 6hp engine wouldn't be enough, I believe that's what the Exmark metro 26" had on it as well.

lawnboy dan
03-03-2010, 06:34 PM
a lot of us use snappers yes but very few use the 26 model-its way to heavy for the pitiful weak snapper sp system.

intimidator782
03-20-2010, 10:23 AM
If the transmission is the same as the ride on snappers, then how is it weak on the push mower while the ride on would be heavier and strain more. Im a little confused on that

AOD
03-20-2010, 10:35 AM
I don't see any drive system that has a true automotive style differential as being weak. I have had those cases split apart, they are very rugged and well made. There is a gear inside there that drives the main gear in the diff, and sometimes those teeth wear fast. Should be an easy fix.

I think lawnboy dan just doesn't like friction drives. There is nothing wrong with them in this application, they are simple and reliable.