PDA

View Full Version : Proud new owner of a Mulch Mule

DixieFerris
03-02-2010, 05:13 PM
Finally! Was able to finance this machine with our bank and will be picking it up asap. Last year we installed about 1000 yards but with this machine we are hoping to top the 2500 mark thru lots of advertising and door to door sales. This machine is just so amazing and will eliminate extra staff, eliminate the fork/shoveling of mulch (which is the real back breaker) and will be used to install stone, transport plants and trees and flowers, suck up grass and turf edging and some shrub clippings, and in the fall assist in major leaf cleanup projects. Look out mulch customers here we come! I will post pics of us using it this spring and also post actual data of old vs. new margins and install $$$

clean_cut
03-02-2010, 05:16 PM
Hey, thanks for posting, sounds like a great new investment, try to get some pictures up soon! :)

DUSTYCEDAR
03-02-2010, 05:18 PM
Why not a mulch blower?

foggyjr5
03-02-2010, 05:41 PM
What does something like that run?

DixieFerris
03-03-2010, 07:53 AM
The mulch blower only does 1 thing - blow (haha). This machine allows us to do stone, mulch, topsoil, pick up leaves, suck up clippings and shrub edgings and the trailer can be loaded with plants, trees, flowers and unloads via a reverse walking floor out the back. Blowers don't always eliminate shoveling and that's the worst part

Strongmd
03-18-2010, 09:19 AM
just listed mine on ebay if anyone is interested.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180482723647

syzer
03-18-2010, 10:00 AM
The mulch blower only does 1 thing - blow (haha). This machine allows us to do stone, mulch, topsoil, pick up leaves, suck up clippings and shrub edgings and the trailer can be loaded with plants, trees, flowers and unloads via a reverse walking floor out the back. Blowers don't always eliminate shoveling and that's the worst part

Our blower eliminates 100% of shoveling.

Keep us posted on how it works, I see how it eliminates unloading, but you still have to manually hump it to where its going, and manually install the mulch. Compared to a bark blower, I dont think the labor savings would be even close.

Good luck, its a nice machine! Why didnt you go with the Finn model?

Shasta Lake Landscaping
03-18-2010, 12:42 PM
How much do you charge per Cu. Yd. of mulch installed? Say 5 yards for example, delivered and installed, no bed preparation needed, just come slap it down and go.
Just wondering what you would btw;
because that thing looks expensive, we install about 5,000 Cu. Yd. a year and I still couldnt justify it.

BrandonV
03-18-2010, 09:02 PM
i'm with you shasta... we do about 5-8k a year and I'd love to have one of these but man they're $ and then you need a truck to pull it!

AintNoFun
03-18-2010, 10:17 PM
no dissrespect i just cant see the value of this machine.. the only step you seem to be eliminating is the shoveling into wheel barrows...

DixieFerris
04-12-2010, 10:14 AM
That's what I thought too when I first started looking into this a few years ago. How wrong I was. Not only is the shoveling and pitchforking eliminated, but the refreshes and fluffs the mulch perfectly each time into the wheelbarrow, making it go down with no clumps at all, and helping us save 10% mulch from years past, even more cost savings. Saturday with a crew of 4 (3 guys on site, and myself driving for more 1/2 the time), we worked from 8-4 and put down 68 yards including my drive time). Lets do the math...

$1,700 in mulch ($25 per yard picked up)
$50 in gas for the truck
Labor for the 3 staff members $400 (ins and taxes and everything rolled up)
2 staff members edging the day before: $275 (ins and taxes)

Total cost: $2,425.00

Mulch installed at $80/yrd x 68 yards $5,440.00

Net after expenses with Mule: $3,015.00 ($376.88/hour less any income tax). Given this were big commercial places, but travel was pretty far between a good day.

Scary huh? Machine costs me $1,500 a month, so I paid for it by lunch, ate lunch, had a laugh about the good ol days with the dump trucks, then went back to kicking tail in the afternoon)

This baby also does topsoil and stone, and in the fall will be a killer leaf vac with a 25hp debris loader. Also sucks up the edgings from the bed shaping.

eaglescout1993
09-06-2010, 11:20 AM
Scary huh? Machine costs me $1,500 a month, so I paid for it by lunch, ate lunch, had a laugh about the good ol days with the dump trucks, then went back to kicking tail in the afternoon)

This baby also does topsoil and stone, and in the fall will be a killer leaf vac with a 25hp debris loader. Also sucks up the edgings from the bed shaping.

And that is why im am getting one asap, probably 2012, i did aprox 500 yds of mulch this year and wish i could do "rake it take it" on leaves but i dont have aloader/trailer and this would do all of the above.

i know 500yds isnt much but this is my first year and i did not advertise any more than just going door to door in my own neighborhood. started with 3 customers and now have 11 full time and about 30 leaf jobs already lined up.

snowplow12345
11-26-2010, 12:28 AM
Lets see some pics!!

HPSInc
11-26-2010, 01:58 AM
http://www.mulchmule.com/mule_videos

just watched this video.. seems like a bad@$$ piece of machinery.