PDA

View Full Version : What do you use to cut down plants in cleanups???

grassman177
03-02-2010, 07:02 PM
i was just curious what you all used in the spring clean up for landscapes. we use our hedge trimmers to cut down ornamental grasses, and all other types that get cut down in that manner for the spring. perrenials are usually just hand pulled as the dead just slips right off to expose the new emerging growth.

do any of you still do the old school method of hand shears?? sometimes we use those on liriope as they are so short to the ground they are dangerous to do with hedge trimmers while someone is holding it "up" for you to cut.

superintendent
03-02-2010, 07:36 PM
grassman, we burn our ornamental grass in the spring. By doing this it will warm the ground up around that plant and will start to green it up sooner. Don't know if this helps

grassman177
03-02-2010, 08:14 PM
cant do that here, plus would take longer, but i know some old school homeowners do and catch half the lawn on fire, pretty funny to see

tyler_mott85
03-02-2010, 09:30 PM
Hedge Trimmers on everything we feel comfortable getting our hands on. Even larger liriope gets the hedge trimmer treatment...anything smaller or flowering plants like Hostas or Mums just use my hands to break off at ground level. Hand Pruners for anything in between.

Darryl G
03-02-2010, 09:34 PM
I use my extended articulated hedge shears as a ground sythe..works great..just watch those phone lines along the foundation...been there, done that. Great for ornamental grasses and hosta flower stalks and everything in between. I keep a pear of shears in a holster on my hip too.

Surfdunn
03-03-2010, 01:03 AM
matters what were trimming. hedge trimmers are used for hedge rows and ornamental grasses. All shrubs are done by hand pruners since we want to make sure there trimmed the correct way and not just the fast way

LB1234
03-03-2010, 09:58 AM
something neat that an employee taught me last year for large ornamental grasses...take you belt off and tighten it around the grass in the middle. Cut it off and the bottom and pick the whole thing up and bring it back to the trailer/dump/etc. Saved a crapload of time. stupid, but it works great.

grassman177
03-03-2010, 02:59 PM
yeah, we have done that with bungie cords, but found we were faster just having a large tarp next to us and the person holding the grass could easily put it there till full and then drag it to the trailer. for one person doing it though, that method of using a bungee etc is great and less cleanup!

scagtiger
03-03-2010, 03:12 PM
my guys use twine off pine straw and regular straw to tie up the ornamental grasses... its free and if they accidently cut it with the hedge trimmers no big deal

Florida Gardener
03-03-2010, 05:33 PM
We have such a diversity of plants here in South Florida that everything needs a certain tool. Hedge trimmers are only used by me on formal hedges that do not have larger leaves. I own hand saws, short/long reach hedge trimmers, two size loppers, felco hand snips, machette, chainsaw, polesaw, and a telescoping silky polesaw. Depending on the plant, I will use a certain tool on each. Like I said though, we have a large diversity of plants down here.