PDA

View Full Version : Your opinion of my bid

lalorslawncare
03-02-2010, 07:29 PM
i would like your opinion of my bid that I just submitted. The details are as follows
Five park properties all within one mile of each other so virtually no drive time. also within five minutes of my shop.
Park 1- twelve acres of mostly wide open mowing, soccer fields and a couple of pavillions My bid $380
Park 2 - Four acres three baseball diamonds no outfield fences Bid $165
Park 3- 1/2 acre playground park. woodchip playlot minimal trimming
Bid $40
park 4- 1.6 acre retention pond sidewalls only not really a park just vacant ground but sloped rather steep Bid $80
Park 5- 1.5 acre playground park very flat bid $70
Total bid was $700 per cut.total of 19.5 acres. being very close to home I would like to have it. I have concentrated in the past on almost strictly residental mowing and it has served me well in the past, however due to the so called economy jobs have been increasingly difficult to come by. Three years ago in the spring I prayed that the phone would stop ringing the work was so overwhelming. Last year I prayed the the phone would just ring. Lets hope this cycle breaks soon and we can go back to the old days and rake the cash like oak leaves in the fall.

JB1
03-02-2010, 07:33 PM
you should hope nobody around you is also bidding this.

hitechlm
03-02-2010, 07:35 PM
it looks good, but i am willing to bet that it will go for half of that. We bid on city work such as parks and right-of-way mowing all the time and usually it goes for around $15-$20 per acre. One of the parks we bid on actually went for $11 per acre.

lalorslawncare
03-02-2010, 07:40 PM
I beat myself up over this one. I know the guy who has been mowing these for the past five years. he is kind of a well I wont say but he has been getting nearly 1k per cut for this job in the past. I want to beat him but I'm not going to beat the crap out of myself and my equipment for nothing

lalorslawncare
03-02-2010, 07:44 PM
11 bucks figure it out cost is that if not more. I know a huge and I mean huge company around here that last year bid a lot of work for about $17 an hour. they are looking to just pay overhead so they dont lose all employees when market turns around. I will also mention that two years ago they were primarily design build very little maintence. Now almost all maintenance because build is completely dried up

Lawnut101
03-02-2010, 11:44 PM
I don't think municipal bids are worth it. They are just a price slashing fest. Residential is the way to go. They usually remain loyal, and they pay pretty good. Around me, an 18 acre bid was just done. There were 3 sites, one with 13 acres, one with 4, one with 1. The 13 acres went for $220, the second site with 4 acres went for $50, and the third with 1 acre went for $25. At least this year it was a big company that won. He just lowballed it, so that a lowballer wouldn't get it and start a "lawncare" business up. I was happy he won it rather than a regular lowballer. It's a tough market out there for mowing.

lalorslawncare
03-03-2010, 01:44 PM
50 bucks for 4 acres a couple of years ago that was my per acre price and no one even batted an eye. I was looked at as a lowballer. How times have changed

delphied
03-03-2010, 03:30 PM
If you do get it for for that, its sure nothins to get excited about. Then next year someone can underbid your cut throat price.........I hope.

Mahoney3223
03-03-2010, 04:08 PM
wow i hope this isn't how the cheap the prices are going to be around here...11 an acre? what a joke...ppl are so lazy they need to quit thinking running a lawn service is cake and ruining the pricing structure and get a real f'n job...i coud go on for hrs but here's a prime example of how lowballing dbags are screwing up the conditions...

Hometown
03-03-2010, 04:21 PM
I would have to agree with Delphied about the problem that is on the horizon. I just dropped off a walkbehind at my dealer for service yesterday and they were asking me what my bids were comming back like. I said they were ok ( I do mostly res.) they were telling me that other contractors were seeing several bids going in the $8-$9 per acre range. Maybe we have too many lco's here but the overall market is in a deflating situation.

BCofDayton
03-03-2010, 04:31 PM
I don't think I can warm my truck up for $11, much less mow an acre for that BLAH

santafe
03-03-2010, 05:19 PM
I don't get it guys. If I have a mower that will mow 6 acres an hour and i am getting $10/acre, that is $60.00/hour. That is not enough?:confused:

santafe
03-03-2010, 05:25 PM
lets figure this together, if the mower is costing you $5/hr, fuel $3/hr, labor $15.00/hr, $2/hr for repair, $2/hr misc . I see a profit. what am I missing?

BCofDayton
03-03-2010, 06:48 PM
I get more than $60/hr, to each his own I suppose

hitechlm
03-03-2010, 06:54 PM
I don't get it guys. If I have a mower that will mow 6 acres an hour and i am getting $10/acre, that is $60.00/hour. That is not enough?:confused:

i have a hard time believing your mower can mow 6 acres and hr, maybe with perfect conditions like a wide open field. We run 3 60" ztr's and i know even running them full speed that we're not mowing 6 acres an hr maybe 2.5-3.

lalorslawncare
03-03-2010, 07:56 PM
exactly hitechlm I had mine figured at 2.5 acre an hour If you have a machine that can cut quaility at 6 acres an hour you are talking a 12ft batwing diesel. at a cost of 25k even with those figures above youre going to put it out there to make 25 an hour. might as well flip burgers for that.

Mahoney3223
03-03-2010, 11:15 PM
lets figure this together, if the mower is costing you $5/hr, fuel $3/hr, labor $15.00/hr, $2/hr for repair, $2/hr misc . I see a profit. what am I missing?

your either

a) just starting out and talking out of your a$$
b) joking and i appreciate humor
c) really stupid

so which is it

lalorslawncare
03-04-2010, 07:23 AM
Just got results from bid opening.
1. company previously mowing bid 950
2. myself and one other co. bid exactly the same at 700
3 friend of mine with lco bid 585 then calls to tell me that he goofed and underestimated area by 4 acres.
4. lady up the street with 12 year old skag and no other equip bid 375
5. last some smuck somewhere bid 280 14 bucks an acre wth

Bids are going to be reviewed and winner announced in two weeks. they said they will be going somewhere middle of the road.

ALC-GregH
03-04-2010, 08:06 AM

You obviously don't understand business.

What if your mower can only cut 2 acres an hour? Are you still going to price it at $10 an acre? Why not bid it so you make money? If you came in with a large mower that can cut grass at a rate of 10 acres an hour, is you price going to drop even more? Remember, the price of the larger equipment costs you more even though you can cut the grass faster. So why charge less. To me, that means I can make more money.

lalorslawncare
03-04-2010, 08:17 AM
Lets look at it in anouther way. Say your in the pizza business and you sell a pizza for an average of 15 bucks a pie. you have an oven that can make 4 pizzas per cycle. thats 60 bucks a cycle. Now you install an oven that canmake 10 pizzas a cycle thats 150 bucks. would you lower the price of your pizzas to 6 bucks. No and why is that youve just invested huge dollars to upgrade your business. the product is the same. you might adjust your pricing slightly to get a business edge and take advatage of the volume that you can now handle but the product is the same.
In the lawn business why spend huge dollars on massive machinery just to do it for the same per hour cost as smaller equip. Makes no sense the bigger the equip the better the return on investment should be not the opposite.

EcoGreen Services
03-04-2010, 08:22 AM
Subscribed.
Interesting , I just did a bid for local municipal work. Parks and ball diamonds for a total of 18.8 acres. Only 12 cuts a year though.

It's a 2 year contract with a $2500 non completion penalty. I'm hoping that scares a few of the lowballers off.

As a few have said, A lot of newbies underestimate cutting and trimming time.
They seem to think a mower the manufacturer say can cut 8 acres a hour will actually cut that quickly. With a 72" I find we get a actual 4 acres a hour at best. The manufacturer rates it at 7 acres a hour.

santafe
03-04-2010, 04:57 PM
that was fun. I am trying not to crack up. I am barley holding it in. you all are too easy.

santafe
03-04-2010, 04:59 PM
:laugh:man its a good day to go fishing.:laugh::waving::laugh::waving::laugh:
I knew you guys would go off.:usflag:

santafe
03-04-2010, 05:04 PM
I knew alc-greg couldn't stay off that if he was tied to his chair with chains. thanks guys.
hope i didn't tick any one off. o.k. I calmed down now. that was great.

Mahoney3223
03-04-2010, 11:49 PM
so it was #2!! nice! well played

LawnPro19
03-05-2010, 12:46 AM
wow...maybe its just my area or maybe its just me but i think that is way to low or should i say i wouldnt do it for that...our industry is getting really bad because of all the price slashing where does it stop this guys was making a thousand a cut you heard about it and really wanted it so u cut that by 300 dollars then next year someone will hear what you are making a want it really bad and cut ur throat.. when does it stop...the academy down here was being done for 3400.00 a month by a well known company since it opened included bed maintenance lawn maintenance and parking lot sweepig somebody cut his throat and is charging 1700.00 a month now that is rediculous....my opinion which is what you asked for is stop bidding just to get accounts bid it at what you need to make money and if you get it, its because you have a great rep and they think your worth it so many people bid jobs just to get instead of bidding it right ...and im not bashing you.... we live in different areas so maybe yalls is just a little worse on the price cutting but i mean your cutting this guy by 300 when word spreads that they are looking for cheaper work guess what ur gone!!!

SouthSide Cutter
03-05-2010, 12:53 AM
Just got results from bid opening.
1. company previously mowing bid 950
2. myself and one other co. bid exactly the same at 700
3 friend of mine with lco bid 585 then calls to tell me that he goofed and underestimated area by 4 acres.
4. lady up the street with 12 year old skag and no other equip bid 375
5. last some smuck somewhere bid 280 14 bucks an acre wth

Bids are going to be reviewed and winner announced in two weeks. they said they will be going somewhere middle of the road.

That is exactly how some of the bids are done here. How they can bid it that cheap I dont know. But it aint no old lady down the street its the bigger guys doing it!!!!

LawnPro19
03-05-2010, 01:00 AM
the way i look at it if they are looking for cheap work then my company is not the right fit for them!!

lalorslawncare
03-05-2010, 09:19 AM
When I bid a job I bid what is fair and equitable for the job and for the customer. By all means I will make a fair buck if I get this job at 700. The real issue I have with the previous lco is that he takes people for all that they are worth. As an example he has no pesticide licence so last year he contacted me to spray some of these same parks for him. I did this and charged him a fair price and made a very good buck for myself. When I gave him the bill his quote was to me " this is all your charging they will pay a lot more than this. In the end he took my bill and submitted a bill 2.5 times higher. I charged 400 dollars for spraying, of this I had 75 dollars in chem. took 2.5 hours to apply, job is 3 minutes from my shop. I made 130.00 an hour. He submits bill to his customer for 1000 dollars. If you see where im coming from. I have no quarrels with a genral making money off of a sub, but that was robbery. This is how this guy runs his business in general.