PDA

View Full Version : What to charge for Shed Demo???

N.TX
03-02-2010, 08:02 PM
I have a lawn customer that asked if I would be willing to tear down a shed and I have no idea what to charge. If anyone has done this please help give me some numbers if you can.

Size 20 X 15 on concrete foundation.....foundation will stay for a gazebo deal

I was thinking it could be done in 1 day with a total of 2 guys including myself and I was planning on using a bobcat to knock it down then cut it up with a chainsaw and sawzalls. I am guessing dump fees will be around 150-250 bucks.
I was thinking around $1000-1200 bucks please let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance
http://www.lawnsite.com/images/smilies/hi.gif

mnms0562000
03-02-2010, 08:40 PM
Charge by the hour, plus Bobcat rental, and dump fees.

N.TX
03-02-2010, 09:01 PM
Well he just wants firm bid which can be good if it takes less time but I guess as long as I cover my expenses it will be ok....I wont lose and I will learn.

nepatsfan
03-02-2010, 09:04 PM
I have a lawn customer that asked if I would be willing to tear down a shed and I have no idea what to charge. If anyone has done this please help give me some numbers if you can.

Size 20 X 15 on concrete foundation.....foundation will stay for a gazebo deal

I was thinking it could be done in 1 day with a total of 2 guys including myself and I was planning on using a bobcat to knock it down then cut it up with a chainsaw and sawzalls. I am guessing dump fees will be around 150-250 bucks.
I was thinking around $1000-1200 bucks please let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance
http://www.lawnsite.com/images/smilies/hi.gif

I could rip that down with me and a couple guys and load it in into the truck in a half day without a bobcat. I think you will definitely make good money if you charge them 1000-1200 and use a bobcat. Do you have a grapple bucket? You would make really good money if you had that. I don't know what they charge to get rid of construction debris around you but I can load my f350 dump with three 2x12's stacked up on top of the actually dump sides(can hold about 7-8 yards) and it costs me right around a hundred bucks. Depends on weight but thats what it is when loading mostly wood. I would assume that if what you are looking at is one story it would take probably 1 to 1 1/2 loads in my dump. Be careful you dont catch any nails with your chainsaws.

W.L.M.
03-02-2010, 09:11 PM
Maybe look into getting a roll-off dumpster brought in?

N.TX
03-02-2010, 09:42 PM
nepatsfan ...Do you think I should charge less than 1000 then. I dont want to over charge them. I have done lots of interior demo in construction but there have always been a dumpster ect...Dumpster is too expensive to rent for that. I just figure there is going to be several loads which I could haul off and unload on my landscape trailer or rent a dump for 75 bucks a day.
Heres my guesstimate price breakdown

250 Bucks Dump Fee @ 2 cents pound
75 Dump Trailer
150 Bobcat Fee
600 Labor
Total $1075

bohiaa
03-02-2010, 09:53 PM
I tore down a shed once. it was made of wood. however no floor.

I used a chainsaw cut it halfway across the walls all way around, then used truck to pull it down onto itself, " man the dust was flying"

this way it gave me access to roof. it loaded up prety well onto the trailer, almost 2 pieces. used the half sides to load on the sides of trailer to give me more room to load.

took it in 2 loads. took me by myself about 1/2 to 3/4 of the day.
to be honest it wasn't a bad job.

I made it disapear for 750.00 there were NO dumping fees.

Best of luck to you

LB1234
03-02-2010, 09:58 PM
one guy with a mini-x with thumb. Have the dumpster/s placed close enough and you could have it down in hours.

Daily Lawn/Landscape
03-02-2010, 10:17 PM
Do you have to worry about turf damage? I just think the skid is going to make a bigger mess. We took a 1 car garage down a couple yrs back. 2 guys 6 hrs and 2 trips to the dump. Done all by hand. Pulled it down and cut into sections and loaded on the trailer.Charged $1285.00. Bill them separate for dump because you will have more there than you think.

James

N.TX
03-02-2010, 10:25 PM
Was the 1285 with the dump fees or before the dump fees. Also the only problem I can see about doing it all by hand is that the roof will be hard to get down and possibly dangerous. I figured it would be safer and easier with a bob cat or a backhoe.

nepatsfan
03-02-2010, 10:32 PM
nepatsfan ...Do you think I should charge less than 1000 then. I dont want to over charge them. I have done lots of interior demo in construction but there have always been a dumpster ect...Dumpster is too expensive to rent for that. I just figure there is going to be several loads which I could haul off and unload on my landscape trailer or rent a dump for 75 bucks a day.
Heres my guesstimate price breakdown

250 Bucks Dump Fee @ 2 cents pound
75 Dump Trailer
150 Bobcat Fee
600 Labor
Total $1075

.02 cents a pound is a little low. I think its like $120 a ton which is about .06 cents a pound. I wouldn't worry about overcharging someone. He wants a set price. If he doesn't want you to work by the hour(which I wouldn't do anyways) then its fair game. The only question would be, is the guy gonna get other estimates. I think what you are charging them is fair. I would probably charge a bit less but I have pretty extensive carpentry experience(licensed in the state of MA) with the tools and knowledge to complete the job effieciently. It is tough to say exactly with just your description exactly how long it would take me. All I am picturing is a 300 square foot one story shed(empty I would assume). If that were the case that would be a half day job and probably 150-170 to dump. This is kind of a shot in the dark and for you it really depends on where you are dumping and what they charge. I wouldn't have to rent anything. If you were gonna rent a trailer you might be better off with a 15 yard dumpster. Around here you can get one for $300. No rental fees no trips to a dump. Rip the thing down and tell them to come get it. I seriously would be cleaned up and outta there in 4 hours with two other guys for sure.
Provided at least one of them could use a sawzall and has some knowledge. I would say bid a little on the high so you can take your time and do a good job without getting hurt or anything. Start on the roof and work down. Or just plow it over with the bobcat and cut it up. What is the sheathing on the building? You might have to cut the rafters away from the ridge and cut the ceiling joists out. then the bobcat will definitely push it right over. just be careful when cutting the rafters and ceiling joists. Use common sense.

Southern Elegance
03-03-2010, 12:12 AM
1 guy can do it in a couple hrs by himself. all u need is a little diseal fuel and a match.

seriusly, go with the dumpster, (no trips to dump, no dump fees, no trailer rental, no bobcat) dumpster will save u money when all is said and done. 3 guys with sawzalls and chainsaws can easliy b done in 6 hrs. ( 18man hrs x $ 75/hr = 1350 plus dumpster)

making multiple trips to the dump will add hrs to the job plus fuel cost. use the dumpster!!

Brown & Co.
03-03-2010, 04:03 AM
You guys taken your time? Not sure where to have started? Its demo! Cut the power if theres is any and rip it apart...if you cant have it down in a couple hours on your own you just dont have the motivation of a demolition man I suppose. HEHE I love it!

The # of loads will only depend on how small you can cut your pieces down to (and size of trailer). PLEASE do watch for nails like recently said! Crowbar and hammer pop off extrimities cut the supports... its a shed so its prolly only got afew anyways. I would rent the bobcat (you already know you can use one or else you wouldnt have come up with it yourself already if the surroundings wouldnt allow for it) cause that badboy is only like 100 bucks for how long youll need it. If you can get the grappler attatchment with it your gonna knock some **** down and pick it up even faster! I would Estimate total hours worked (I could have a basic shed of those dimensions down in 3...maaaaaybe 4 hours but at four hours Ive been loading up the pieces, its the running around thats going to eat up your time)... You know you can have it down and outta there in full days work 8-10 hrs with just yourself a hammer and saw... so charge that and include ALL your cost for rental, feul for hauling and equipment, perhaps a new toy from the lawn store to help with the project, some lunch, agua, hell even a new hair cut lol jk about the hair cut. With all that added together Im sure your your bids gonna be priced better that fair for both partys...

betmr
03-03-2010, 07:37 AM
I would do it by hand, to avoid the mess a machine is going to cause. Some hammers, flat and crow bars, and saws-all, are all you need to take it down piece by piece. No muss, no fuss. Done in a day, Charge for your time and gas, and tell him, he'll pay the tipping fee, as you can't tell that until you weigh out. Wood and shingles weigh a lot!