PDA

View Full Version : ZTR engines: Kawasaki vs Kohler vs Honda

turnipgreen
06-12-2002, 02:28 PM
I'm considering ZTRs. I don't have a ton of grass to mow, just over 1 acre, slightly sloping, with one ditch at the rear to handle. Lots of trees in the rear.

I've seen lots of posts, and based on what I see around here I can easily get Exmark and Hustler (along with Scag although the local guy says getting parts is difficult). The Exmark carries both the Kawasaki and the Kohler, with the Hustler running a Honda. I've seen some posts saying the larger Honda engines weren't great, so I'm asking for opinions. Which engine would you choose?

Also, I'm having trouble figuring out the Exmark Lazer Z vs Lazer Z HP, and then there is the Hustler Fastrak vs the super Z. I really didn't want a huge deck, just something that will do a good job on my lawn, require little maintenance, is easy to adjust deck height (I have two types of grass), can handle slopes, and will last forever.

Opinions, besides getting demos of each?

HOWARD JONES
06-12-2002, 03:58 PM
I won't get into the engine debate - think they are all good. You mentioned something about ditches - with a Z, you have to mow with the ditch, not across it. Still, you need to cross it sometimes even when not mowing, and something I didn't notice until after buying is that some brands hang out far and low behind the rear wheels - so low that you can get hung up fairly easily. You might consider that in your search.

turnipgreen
06-12-2002, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the pointer. I'll look at that if I get as far as demos.

I called and the local dealer quoted me $5800 for an Exmark Lazer Z HP with a 44 inch deck and 17 hp Kawa, and $6600 for the same mower with a 48 inch deck and a 21 hp Kawa. Do those prices seem in line with what you would expect? Giving Exmark first consideration based on their rep on this board and on statements that you can't go wrong with Exmark.

HOWARD JONES
06-12-2002, 04:09 PM
Prices vary by area and dealer - I got quotes from 7060 to 8500 on the exact same machine. Toro owns Exmark and is almost identical except a different deck. Most dealers that handle Toro can also get Exmark - my point is only this: there should be lots of dealers to allow you to shop around. Having said that, the price sounds a bit high - I got the 62" Toro with 25 hp Kohler for 7060 last year, and the pricing for Toro and Exmark is very close.