PDA

View Full Version : Toro 21" Heavy Duty w/ Side Discharge?

crousehouse4
03-03-2010, 10:13 AM
Has anyone used the Toro 21" Heavy Duty push mower (22188) with the side discharge attachment they sell? I'm in the market for a good push mower and I like this one. The fact that it has no side discharge port looks like a bad thing, BUT they sell an attachment that will do this.

brucec32
03-03-2010, 08:09 PM
It's not something you'd want to use a lot. It will clump and not disperse well because it's throwing the clippings first back, then through the curved chute. I have one from their superrecycler series but have used it maybe once in 10 years. It's almost better to just mulch it than use this thing. It is nearly identical to the one on commercial mowers. It actually fits my commercial toro except for a cable being in the way, so I'm pretty sure they're all going to perform like this.

I'd look at mowers designed to discharge well if you plan on doing a lot of that. The Toro homeowner mowers have a chute that attaches to a sliding hole in the side and do a better job, though they're still not great dischargers.

crousehouse4
03-03-2010, 08:36 PM
Thanks Bruce. that makes sense. I really like everything about the Toro 21 heavy duty, but I don't think it makes sense for me with out being able to discharge the grass. I'll keep looking.

joed
03-03-2010, 09:37 PM
I have that rear discharge unit for my exmark metro 21", (same as the Toro) and it's useless. The clippings, if they're long or wet, will get caught on the plastic chute leaving clumps all over the place.

If you want to discharge, get a nice lawnboy 21" commercial unit with the old staggered deck. If you remove the little middle bar that is used to keep the chute in place, it is a fabulous discharger.

crousehouse4
03-03-2010, 10:37 PM
So do most people mulch the grass when using a push mower? I've been mowing for 2 years now and always discharged the grass or bag on the customers request. It seems odd that the toro doesn't give you the option to discharge it.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
03-03-2010, 10:45 PM
I have the SR4 Superrecycler. Aluminum deck, Pers Pace. Has lasted 3 seasons now, still runnin strong. And I always mulch, it really mulches well.

Darryl G
03-03-2010, 11:18 PM
I've got a Honda 21 that only mulches/bags but I don't really mow any lawns with it, just a few confined areas I can't get the bigger machines in.