PDA

View Full Version : Employee productivity rates.

flexlawn
03-03-2010, 12:26 PM
I've had the same crew for several years now working mainly the same route, a landscape maintenance route. On average they (2 employees, 1 52" Z, 1 48" walk behind, and several trimmers, blowers etc.) take roughly 45 min. to mow an hour per acre for the both of them. That includes trimming, edging, clean up, etc. Am I getting too comfortable with this pace of work, or are my employees a little lax? We do a lot of softscape/hardscape work, which leaves all my maintenance work to this crew, and I really do not have another maintenance crew to compare productivty with. Opinions welcome.

Southern Elegance
03-03-2010, 04:29 PM
little slow , but not much, if they are doing a good job. you have to decide if they are doing a good job or riding the clock. i have had both 1 crew taking their time doing a good job, the other crew spending more time on their cel phone than work. guess which crew is no longer employed.

Mahoney3223
03-03-2010, 05:09 PM
45 mins seems alright as long as everything is looking good...if its shaggy and stuff is skipped then that's another story

brucec32
03-03-2010, 07:11 PM
I can't understand the working (45 to mow an hour per acre?) but there is really no substitute for going out and doing it once yourself with a stopwatch on it. Or at least observing and timing them. That way you KNOW how long it takes.

Odds are if not supervised they will be a little slower/slacker than they could be, but that's just part of human nature.

flexlawn
03-05-2010, 09:33 AM
Yeah, not sure where the hour part of that came from. But they have been taking 45 min. per acre. It seems I get so caught up with the larger installs that I forget about the maintenance aspect, but looking at it now I think I will tak a trip myself and see how the pace is. They do a nice job, straight striping, clean cut edging, everything is crisp when they leave, just wanted to get a guage on where I stood with the time being consumed, thanks guys!