PDA

View Full Version : Kawasaki FH500v "Governor shaft seal / OIL LEAK"

jlbf0786
03-03-2010, 12:12 PM
Picked up a HUSQVARNA 48 hydro wb the other day, has a 17hp Kawi vtwin.
got it home and done the basic service on it, and then noticed an oil leak coming from under the carb area where the governor shaft is.

I havent replaced these before, whats needed and whats the steps involved..?

Also, I can't get the thing to crank at all.. the spark plugs are getting a little oil on them after every attempt to start it.
---(is this caused by the leak, or should i be more worried about a head gasket or something more serious?)

I MOW ALONE
03-03-2010, 04:59 PM
govenor seal leak is not gonna make plugs wet with fuel. you need to worry a little more. sorry

jlbf0786
03-03-2010, 11:37 PM
I'm gonna replace the governor seal, and im also going to adjust the valves..
you can tell by looking at the mower that the original owner didnt do alot of the maintenance that shouldve been done.

I bent the choke linkage so badly that rigging it back up seems impossible.. so i'll have to get another linkage.. Parts for this engine are seemingly hard to come by in my area!

fireman9
03-03-2010, 11:44 PM
Is it not starting because it won't turn over or crank? Or is it just not starting IE choke/fuel spark problem?
They don't like low voltage at the starter relay and will make a click sound only...If this is what it's doing send me a pm and I'll hook you up on how to fix it.

PETER PIPPER
03-04-2010, 09:23 AM
Two things can cause govenor shaft leaks
1.worn shaft and base
2.worn rings causing positive crankcase pressure/ if plugs have oil on them and engine wont crank i would think rings are your problem.

jlbf0786
03-04-2010, 08:30 PM
I got it running but its not hitting high RPMs at full throttle, i know its either the choke lever being bent all to crap..
or I must have messed up the Governor when removing the linkage plate & spring under the carb.

How do i reset the governor to factory specs? I dont know the current RPM's its at.

I dont have a Tach to check the RPM's but i will get one because ive been needing a good reason to go buy one.. LOL

FIXDISS
03-04-2010, 10:11 PM
Maybe this will help. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=198439

PETER PIPPER
03-05-2010, 08:32 AM
To set the governor u need to loosen clamp bolt at shaft. Hold the throttle at carb at full throttle position. Then rotate governor shaft in counter clockwise rotation until it stops and tighten clamp back. Rpms can be adjusted by loosening bolts that hold control plate and moving plate up for more rpms and down for less.

jlbf0786
03-05-2010, 01:45 PM
To set the governor u need to loosen clamp bolt at shaft. Hold the throttle at carb at full throttle position. Then rotate governor shaft in counter clockwise rotation until it stops and tighten clamp back. Rpms can be adjusted by loosening bolts that hold control plate and moving plate up for more rpms and down for less.

I WAS JUST GETTING READY TO ASK EXACTLY THIS QUESTION, I KNOW ITS GOOD TO CHECK THE RPM'S FOR THE CORRECT GOVERNOR SETTING.. BUT CAN I JUST EARSHOT THIS GOVERNOR?

I SHOULD'VE NEVER MESSED W/ IT ALL LAST NIGHT, I WAS TRYING TO INCREASE THE RPM'S, AND I TURNED IT A BIT TOO MUCH THE WRONG WAY!
"REALLY DUMB-AMATUEUR MISTAKE!" - I DIDNT KNOW IT WAS TOO HIGH UNTIL JUST NOW WHEN I WENT OUT TO CRANK IT, AND THE ENGINE REVED UP ENOUGH TO SCARE THE CRAP OUT OF ME.... LOL

DO I JUST LOOSEN THE GOV. ARM BOLT, THEN TURN IT CLOCKWISE TO DECREASE THE RPM's

jlbf0786
03-05-2010, 05:33 PM
When i reset the RPM's do i 1st turn the governor arm counter clockwise until it stops then reattach the plate and governor spring, and then lower the RPM's by turning the governor arm back clockwise? (or do i just leave the governor arm turned counter clockwise and then lower the plate for less RPM's????

This honestly doesnt make alot of sense if it were the way to do it, but i dont wanna make a mess..

FIXDISS
03-05-2010, 08:16 PM
Read Peter Pipper's post again. Adjust the governor then move throttle plate up or down to adjust rpm.

jlbf0786
03-05-2010, 09:13 PM
Read Peter Pipper's post again. Adjust the governor then move throttle plate up or down to adjust rpm.

I tried this, but im obviously doing it incorrect. But no luck yet.
I'll retry again tomorrow.

Thanks

PETER PIPPER
03-08-2010, 08:29 AM
U cant adjust the rpms with the governor shaft! The governor shaft is adjusted once. Rpms are adjusted with the control plate. Trust me been doing it for years.

Restrorob
03-08-2010, 09:44 AM
http://www.smileyvault.com/gs_image/green%5E_%5Earial%5E_%5E5%5E_%5E0%5E_%5E%5E%5E%5E+I+Agree+%5E%5E%5E%5E_%5E000000%5E_%5E.gif (http://www.smileyvault.com)

PETER PIPPER
03-08-2010, 10:03 AM
Set governor shaft first. Then leave alone once it is set it is set. Then attach plate and adjust arpms by moving it up or down. Moving down will decrease rpms and up increase

jlbf0786
03-17-2010, 04:37 PM
Set governor shaft first. Then leave alone once it is set it is set. Then attach plate and adjust arpms by moving it up or down. Moving down will decrease rpms and up increase

So you're saying that the Governor shaft is supposed to be turned "counter-clockwise" until it wont turn anymore.. then tighten the clamp bolt, and use the plate to adjust the engines RPMS ?

The bolt on the right side of the plate is the adjustment then, is this correct?