PDA

View Full Version : Saw the new Exmark stand-on today

nobagger
03-03-2010, 03:11 PM
We had a little seminar at our local Exmark dealer today. They brought in one of the new stand-on units along with a new rider. Nice features, comfortable etc. One nice new feature is the deck adjustments...one bolt raises or lowers the whole deck as one unit, the engine and everything lift with the adjustments made, so no more belts running at an angle. The rider's are pretty much the same but have a few new features, the one I can remember is the seats...very comfortable! And it sounds like they got the bugs worked out of the EFI units as well. They didn't get into prices but the dealer said maybe a few hundred bucks more than last year, but he wasn't sure.

JayD
03-03-2010, 04:40 PM
We had a little seminar at our local Exmark dealer today. They brought in one of the new stand-on units along with a new rider. Nice features, comfortable etc. One nice new feature is the deck adjustments...one bolt raises or lowers the whole deck as one unit, the engine and everything lift with the adjustments made, so no more belts running at an angle. The rider's are pretty much the same but have a few new features, the one I can remember is the seats...very comfortable! And it sounds like they got the bugs worked out of the EFI units as well. They didn't get into prices but the dealer said maybe a few hundred bucks more than last year, but he wasn't sure.

We just had a customer day at our dealers and they had exmark there too. Think the 52" stander at our dealer will be $7450 with the 24HP

Cummins343
03-03-2010, 04:41 PM
One bolt adjusts the deck? The JD standers had that along time ago.

MOHUSTLER
03-03-2010, 05:03 PM
The engine and deck moving togather is going to be an industry standard on the stand on units. Wright did that with thier rapid height mower. Exmark has some nice selling points on it though. Looks to be a good mower. Cant belive they took another price increase though. Ouch!

brucec32
03-03-2010, 07:15 PM
Engine/deck moving together is a step backwards. How can a deck float when it is that heavy? It doesn't, it gouges. That's why they rarely bother with antiscalps with that design feature. I realize you gotta have belts that don't fall off or wear prematurely, but losing floating ability isn't the way to go.

dishboy
03-03-2010, 10:31 PM
Engine/deck moving together is a step backwards. How can a deck float when it is that heavy? It doesn't, it gouges. That's why they rarely bother with antiscalps with that design feature. I realize you gotta have belts that don't fall off or wear prematurely, but losing floating ability isn't the way to go.

I agree, another heavy long mower that does not follow the contour. Making a timed deck and contour following design is where it is at. I couldn't find what I wanted on the market so I built my own. I have to walk , but for real small yards, who cares.

JayD
03-03-2010, 10:37 PM
I agree, another heavy long mower that does not follow the contour. Making a timed deck and contour following design is where it is at. I couldn't find what I wanted on the market so I built my own. I have to walk , but for real small yards, who cares.

am i missing something here....where do you get that the new stand on mower is "long" ?

It has a short wheel base of only 59" total....My w/b is 78.3" long.

dishboy
03-03-2010, 10:54 PM
am i missing something here....where do you get that the new stand on mower is "long" ?

It has a short wheel base of only 59" total....My w/b is 78.3" long.

Like I said, LONG! My 42" walk wheelbase is 36"

JayD
03-03-2010, 11:14 PM
Like I said, LONG! My 42" walk wheelbase is 36"

Really...what brand is your 42"?

DoetschOutdoor
03-03-2010, 11:27 PM
If you see the mower in person, you will not say its a step backwards...its definately the most progressive stander and it has the very awesome capability of walking behind it just like a traditional walk behind. Im thinking this mower would be perfect for those customers that complain about the big ztr mowers and would be fine for the bigger properties. Gonna go demo one soon and take lots of pics.

JayD
03-03-2010, 11:46 PM
If you see the mower in person, you will not say its a step backwards...its definately the most progressive stander and it has the very awesome capability of walking behind it just like a traditional walk behind. Im thinking this mower would be perfect for those customers that complain about the big ztr mowers and would be fine for the bigger properties. Gonna go demo one soon and take lots of pics.

I agree.....Look at this.....

2010' 48" 20HP TTHP is 775 lbs.
2010' 48" 24HP Vantage is 855lbs. only 80lbs. more than w/b (not counting rider)
2010' 48" 23HP Lazer Z is 1125lbs. and 270lbs. lighter then this Z.

I cant wait to get mine....

JohnnyRocker
03-04-2010, 12:00 AM
The engine and deck moving togather is going to be an industry standard on the stand on units. Wright did that with thier rapid height mower. Exmark has some nice selling points on it though. Looks to be a good mower. Cant belive they took another price increase though. Ouch!

Hopefully exmark's stander won't be just like the wright RH. I couldn't get rid of that fast enough.

yardguy28
03-04-2010, 12:19 AM

show me where it says its suppose to be a floating deck and i'll agree with you on that point.

i have the toro grandstand which is pretty much the same mower since toro owns exmark. as much as i like floating decks and agree fixed decks have a much higher chance of scalping a property the point is, i do not believe either of these mowers have been marketed as floating decks.

so to ask the questions how can it be a floating deck with a heavy engine mounted to it is totally off the ball. neither toro or exmark have claimed these mowers are floating decks and last time i checked they both still made mowers with fixed decks.

bock
03-04-2010, 12:31 AM
I just bought a 36' scag vride today. Best stander on the market in my eyes. The exmark stander is just a rebadged toro grandstand!

yardguy28
03-04-2010, 12:34 AM
I just bought a 36' scag vride today. Best stander on the market in my eyes. The exmark stander is just a rebadged toro grandstand!

yep and the toro grandstand is the best stander on the market...........

bock
03-04-2010, 12:44 AM
I tried out the the wright and grandstand and I think the scag controls and hydraulics are much more smooth than the others. Plus the scag 36 vride is 300 dollars cheaper than the RH wright. I am not too sure on the grandstand price.

yardguy28
03-04-2010, 12:49 AM
i tried out all 3 and arrived that the toro grandstand was the most comfortable to stand on and the controls are much smoother and easier to operate than any other stander on the market. as for the price it wasn't really an issue once i decided it was the best stander on the market. i do believe toro does cost less than wright and scag but i wouldn't put my life on that comment........

brucec32
03-17-2010, 04:14 PM
show me where it says its suppose to be a floating deck and i'll agree with you on that point.

i have the toro grandstand which is pretty much the same mower since toro owns exmark. as much as i like floating decks and agree fixed decks have a much higher chance of scalping a property the point is, i do not believe either of these mowers have been marketed as floating decks.

so to ask the questions how can it be a floating deck with a heavy engine mounted to it is totally off the ball. neither toro or exmark have claimed these mowers are floating decks and last time i checked they both still made mowers with fixed decks.

Who said they claimed a floating deck? But down south we NEED a deck that floats and contours to the turf exceptionally well. Ever need to mow hybrid bermudagrass at 1.5"? What you may not realize is that bermuda is not green throughout the plant. The lower part is stemmy and brown/straw colored, only the top is green. It helps to picture a shrub that has been sheared regularly. The taller it gets the more of it is stem and the less of it is grass. So if you drop the deck 1/4" too low....oops...you just put a nice brown stemmy line in the otherwise lush green lawn. For that reason we often have to pull out smaller deck mowers to do a good job. 21, 36", which is very inefficient. But Exmark makes 48" decks with lots of antiscalp rollers that do a pretty good job of terrain following so that you don't get the mow lines in the lawn whenever the turf isn't exactly level. They simply need to put that sort of deck on a stand-on machine.

Unfortunately nobody takes photos of their bad mow jobs, so I can't find one on the web to illustrate the point about how bad Bermuda looks if cut with the wrong machine. But I see them in neighborhoods all the time. Being able to get the cut quality on bermuda with a larger deck makes all the difference in the world in getting and keeping customers here. You can cut it with a GS type machine, but it won't look as good and customers will notice. The alternative is to use a smaller deck, which makes you less competitive on price.

Dishboy uses the Walker 42" deck because it truely floats, the blade timing allows them to be aligned side-by-side, which makes the mower shorter, and the front casters match the width of the deck for maximum terrain following. The nicer the neighborhood the more Walkers you see on lawns for that reason.

If I were just cutting our version of bluegrass (turf type tall fescues) at 3" I couldn't care less about the antiscalps, as I wouldn't need them.

brucec32
03-17-2010, 04:23 PM
I agree.....Look at this.....

2010' 48" 20HP TTHP is 775 lbs.
2010' 48" 24HP Vantage is 855lbs. only 80lbs. more than w/b (not counting rider)
2010' 48" 23HP Lazer Z is 1125lbs. and 270lbs. lighter then this Z.

I cant wait to get mine....

The GS is only 80 lbs heavier than the w/b, but the 200 lb operator you mentioned makes it 36% heavier. The tires are different sizes, but at some point that much more weight does matter.

I think a better weight comparison would be to a small frame 44-48" ZTR. (lazer z hp, gravely 144z, etc) which exmark currently doesn't sell anymore, as they, like most manufacturers, continue making mowers heavier and bigger hoping to sell machines to the power and speed crazy buyer. At about 900lbs (w/o rops) it's only 45 lbs heavier than the GS. And similarly, the tire size difference probably evens ground pressure out.

I don't think the GS is "too heavy", but it's not going to be significantly easier on turf than a ZTR due to weight alone. Its advantage there will be in how the weight is centered at the axle and such. It will turn quicker w/o damage. You can also point a GS downhill, you can't really do that with a ZTR.

green monster
03-19-2010, 09:05 PM
The Ex-Mark Stander is definately a rebadged Toro Grandstand which came out last year, but that doesn't mean it is a bad mower. The Grandstand is a pretty awesome machine. So is the new Scag. I would check them all out before buying. They are all pretty impressive.

tallimeca
03-19-2010, 09:50 PM
Cant belive they took another price increase though.

Exmark didn't have another price increase. Prices actually dropped on some models, which is what they said may happen. Gear drive walk behinds went down close to 10 percent.......and that's with the new 16 hp kawi on it.

The Vantage is not marketed as a floating deck......... The deck doesn't even have anti scalp rollers on it.

.....Don't know why I'm bothering with with this....... but the Exmark is not just a rebadged Grandstand. The Exmark engineers changed some things on it, which is said to go into production on the Toro as well. The new deck adjust, solid hydro controls instead of cables, and a few other things are new. These may take a while to see on the Toro until the stock in the field is sold through. This will be available immediately on the Exmark. Plus the Exmark has the Ultra cut deck on it, which the Toro does not. Big difference in my eyes.........

No different the the Toro Z's being rebadged Lazers.......... similar, yet different.

Also, the Walker GHS deck is not a floating deck as well. Yes , the deck is hung......but it doesn't have anti scalp rollers to lift it. If you have it set low......can come on a sharp incline.....you can bury it. More so on a 48 then a 42. The design of the carrier frames on the deck help lift but it's not a true floating deck.

The stand on market will continue to evolve as patents run out. Everyone will have on at one point or another. Wright used to be the only game in town.......and they have done a good job. However, they are pricey and even more pricey at some select dealers that don't have much competition......unless you want to buy a brand new mower in the heart of the offseason with their discount program.

Currently you have...

Wright
Gravely (also marketed as Great Dane and Everride.......for now)
Scag
Toro
Exmark
Ferris

Bobcat/Bunton is still without

Husqvarna is hot on the trails but has nothing. They know they need one and they have the pockets to do it. Guessing they may eventually buy someone out or contract to build with orange paint.

djagusch
03-19-2010, 10:02 PM
Forgot John Deere has a stander.

Also Hustler is without.

tallimeca
03-23-2010, 11:19 AM
Forgot John Deere has a stander.

These are Gravely units with a Deere deck on it. Was told they were no longer building them. Maybe i was told wrong.

MikeKle
03-23-2010, 12:04 PM
Exmarks prices need to come WAY down!! When they are charging almost $9K for a TT with 60"/23hp, and this is a WB? Geez, that is ZTR money! Exmarks are good mowers, but not for that much money! Thats why I bought a ferris this time. I had planned on another TT 60", but Im not paying that for a WB!

And no mower has a TRUE floating deck like we would like. My TT, TTHP, and ferris are all said to be floating decks, but really they are fixed decks, the deck does not move to follow the terrain, it is still held in one place by the 4 pins. I have only had one true floating deck and that was on a really cheap swisher that had chains instead of pins securing the deck, but the deck flopped around alot, but that was a cheap mower, for the prices we pay for these commercial mowers, One of these companies should be able to come up with a true floating deck?