PDA

View Full Version : what is the best stand on mower out there

bflograssman
03-03-2010, 03:54 PM
currently running 13 walker mowers and 2 gravely z260 in the fleet and looking for more cost efficient mowers to run in the fleet spending way to much money on repairs

Cummins343
03-03-2010, 03:56 PM
I run Wright Standers. I LOVE THEM!!!!!!!! They are by far the most popular stand-on Unit on the Market.

lawnjocky
03-03-2010, 04:13 PM
For what it's worth I compared several standers and it came down to Toro and Scag. I already have a small Wright. I think I am going to pull the trigger on 2 Scags later this week. My big complaint with Scag is the size of their gas tank.

MOHUSTLER
03-03-2010, 05:04 PM
We sell wrights and scags. I love the wrights, they have been around a long time. But the scags are going to give them a run for thier money $$

Lawn Pawn
03-03-2010, 06:25 PM
We sell wrights and scags. I love the wrights, they have been around a long time. But the scags are going to give them a run for thier money $$

Not to start a fight.... although I'm sure it will......

Why do you think so? Price... ease of maintenance.... cut quality.... comfort? They just look to me anyway, not a very efficient design. I would love to get one as I have great Scag dealer and love my TC. Just not impressed with the design of the stander.

Puddle of Oil
03-03-2010, 06:31 PM
great dane surfer, more comfort, cheaper, rut friendly, built like a tank and did i say cheaper!

grassman177
03-03-2010, 06:33 PM
i drove one of the scags around and it was way better than it looked, surprisingly so, and the velocity deck is one to be envious about.

all that said, we run wright standers and they have been nearly flawless and way more compact. the new ones have it even better so check the 2010 models. we have a new one sitting waiting for grass. it has spring platform now too, and even stronger frame in which the old one was plenty strong

brucec32
03-03-2010, 06:45 PM
While the Walkers probably are more prone to needing little repairs than other less-complex designs, are you going to be giving up capabilities and cut quality you need? The standers can't do high volume bagging, and I've heard nowhere near the praise for the Wright cut that you hear about Walkers.

I can see the idea of using them in place of Walkers though, since they are good on small lots with a lot of turns to make. If you're using the Walkers on small tight lots I they may work well. But if you have to bag everything you might ask users how they compare doing that first. I personally hate side bagging. They're also not getting lots of feedback on mulching ability, though I'm not sure if that's because everyone discharges with them or what.

It seems the Gravelys are the sort of machine one would use on wide open areas for chop/drop high speed mowing. I doubt the standers would be any huge improvement there, and they might be less efficient in some ways. And again, you can't hang a high capacity bagger system on them like you can a ZTR for leaf cleanup. Also I think they are pretty solid in terms of reliability. Mine is, and they look well built and pretty simple design-wise. I wouldn't think the Wrights have any real advantage there.

Finally, a company your size may have need of the various implements the Walker has, plus midmount ZTRs can usually tow various aerators, carts, etc. You might want to consider keeping one or two of the old machines in the fleet for the uses I mentioned (high profile turf on undulating terrain needing a manicured cut, leaf cleanup, bagging grass when required, aerating, dethatching, etc) and use the standers for the more routine work.

grassman177
03-03-2010, 07:09 PM
bagging does make a huge difference, we dont bag anything but leaves, but would not want to with a stander, way too time consuming

lilweeds
03-03-2010, 07:58 PM
Toro Grandstand

NMS0219
03-03-2010, 08:01 PM
I run the gravely pro stance line. I have had no problems. Cut is nice. and so is the price

SouthSide Cutter
03-03-2010, 09:00 PM
Ran a Toro and a Scag both were nice but really liked the ride of the scag and the ease of operating it better. It seemed more stable on a incline but it did have a weight on it and I think it was just one weight and it handled my weight (225) just fine.

Black Bear
03-03-2010, 09:23 PM
anybody have ball park pricing on the scag v-ride 48"? Going to take a look at them next week. Thanks.

bock
03-04-2010, 12:35 AM
Scag vride all the way. I am the proud owner of one as of today. Check it out. I tried the wright for a week and thought it rocked but then I jumped on the scag and it felt just more comfortable.

Pro-Scapes
03-04-2010, 01:14 AM
Does the Scag flip up to become a walk behind as nice as the grandstand does ? I really liked the grandstand but the Toro dealer is out of his mind. The Scag looks really nice. Looking for a 36"

OrangeToys
03-04-2010, 01:27 AM
all i know is if you can find a scag, and its on your list of considerations to buy. Do it now cause you won't be finding them in the dealers much longer. I talked to my rep and he said they can't keep of with demand. I would have my scag v ride now but can't afford it unless i get a few more accounts.

MOHUSTLER
03-04-2010, 10:09 AM
all i know is if you can find a scag, and its on your list of considerations to buy. Do it now cause you won't be finding them in the dealers much longer. I talked to my rep and he said they can't keep of with demand. I would have my scag v ride now but can't afford it unless i get a few more accounts.

Your exactly right, Cutters in the KC area have been buying them by the 20+ unit orders. I havent seen a mower be this big of a hit in a long time! Im pulling my hair out cause I might be sold out of them by the time my open house gets here.

And to answer the previous question, What is going to set them apart from everyone elses. Is #1 ofcourse Scags cut quality and build quality. Dont get me wrong, I also love my wrights, we have sold many many units with little complants. The scag is going to be a hit because of scags allready great rep in the commercial market. And unlike some other companies (no names mentioned) they have a great price on them.

jtkplc
03-04-2010, 04:34 PM
I've used Great Dane (John Deere, Gravely, Everride) style stand on's but not the new designs by Toro/Exmark, Scag, and Ferris/Snapper. But the Wright Stander, especially with the improvements they made for 2010, is the best that I've used.

grassman177
03-04-2010, 04:37 PM
yes, the 2010 units of wright are great, but have tried boht the scag and toro. we stuck with wright, but both the others were very nice, the scag did handle better though and felt more stable and easy to get into places.

Landscraper1
03-04-2010, 05:02 PM
I have used Wright Standers for years. I have 4-52",3-36", and 1-32". They are very well built, great cut, and have very low maintenance to them. I would stay away from the Great Dane's. I have tried them and know many that have purchased them for the price. They have had problems and don't cut as well plus, their 52" has no trimming capacity (deck is even with rear tires). John Deere and Gravely are the same.
I can't say much about the Scag or Toro. They are fairly new to the market. And you know the new products always have problems, when they first come out. Good Luck and welcome to Lawnsite bflograssman. Good to see some large companies on here.:waving:

djagusch
03-04-2010, 05:47 PM
anybody have ball park pricing on the scag v-ride 48"? Going to take a look at them next week. Thanks.

The 52" was around $7500 retail, what you pay is another story.

lawnjocky
03-04-2010, 06:21 PM
Went ahead and bought 2 Scag 52 V-rides today. They are selling so well that getting the dealers to come down off that $7500 is a real chore. After I did the deal my dealer called back and said the dist. was going to pull them from another dealer's stock order. And the factory was out of 52's. That's how fast they're selling. Should be a good year for Scag sales.

grassman177
03-04-2010, 06:24 PM
i think the scag is better on hill than the toro, but wright is the best. yes, i have tried them all

grassman177
03-04-2010, 06:26 PM
. Good Luck and welcome to Lawnsite bflograssman. Good to see some large companies on here.:waving:

thanks, dont know about large, but getting of good size now and it is far from easy. you have to have it together to do anything more than solo or a couple of guys.

stewartje
03-04-2010, 06:42 PM
Great Dane Super Surfer 61"

turfsolutions
03-05-2010, 10:37 AM
I have ran 52 inch wrights for years now and am looking to make a change due to quality of cut (clumping in wet lush conditions). What improvements other than a spring loaded platform has wright made? Any deck / cut quality improvements on the fixed standers?

grassman177
03-05-2010, 04:10 PM
unfortunately no changes to the deck, unless the ones you have are front baffleless. the newer models as of the last few years have front baffles on them which in deed improved the cut, but also made everything worse for clumping imo. but i heard it helped on the 52in, as we only have 48in. so, i guess that depends.

improvements include: spring platform, better parking brake, norrowed the front castors(at least on the 48in) for better hang over of the deck( the others the front wheel gets int he way and got caught on curbs during curves etc), the fenders and such are actually not integrated into the frame so it is much sturdier, also but anti flex rods fromt he frame up to the front castors for added support, new spindles and better pulley system, fan cooled hydros, and also for the past couple of years the front tires are non flats.

turfsolutions
03-05-2010, 06:46 PM
My older one did not come with baffles. Had to buy them seperate, improved cut a bit. New one did come with baffles. Still too much clumping plus it needs to be scraped every other lawn when wet and lush. Its a shame because I love everything else about the Wrights fixed standers.

I have heard great things about the Deere 7 iron deck. Very smooth undersides, rarely needs scraping, and little clumping so I am told. Toro has the adjustable deck which I am demoing this spring in wet lush conditions. I would like to demo the Scag as well.

meicher806
03-05-2010, 07:16 PM

just got a quote today, 6999.99+tax.

kinggregi
03-05-2010, 10:20 PM
The Grandstand "flip up platform" is virtually useless. I only use this when I'm loading onto the trailer. Since the engine weight is forward, it takes all traction from the rear wheels, unless there is an operator riding to counter balance it. Literally, if you are walking behind it and encounter ANY uneven ground, one of the tires will spin. It's simply pathetic, and also dangerous when the mower doesn't have both tires in full contact of the ground.

mysteryman
03-05-2010, 11:34 PM
The word from Scag is that they were designed only as a stand-on (no GrandStand-style flip-up platform to convert to a walk-behind)

demhustler
03-06-2010, 02:14 AM
how's wright sentar (with the seat) compare to stand-ons and ztrs?

MOHUSTLER
03-06-2010, 10:13 AM
The Grandstand "flip up platform" is virtually useless. I only use this when I'm loading onto the trailer. Since the engine weight is forward, it takes all traction from the rear wheels, unless there is an operator riding to counter balance it. Literally, if you are walking behind it and encounter ANY uneven ground, one of the tires will spin. It's simply pathetic, and also dangerous when the mower doesn't have both tires in full contact of the ground.

So I assume the exmark will have the same faults?

And scags flip up platform only flips up the back 1/4 of the platform, so if your loading and want it shorter and out of the way, then when your mowing you can flip it down for ride comfort.

CLS LLC
03-06-2010, 10:19 AM
how's wright sentar (with the seat) compare to stand-ons and ztrs?

The sentar is kind of stuck in between and stander and a ztr. It has flip up seat. but when it's flipped up the machine is very uncomfortable to ride because the seat is in the way. I personally don't care for the sentars. But I love the standers.

grassman177
03-06-2010, 10:44 AM
sentars were very nice to use, although your but will get sore from straddling the seat. the older ones had serious issues so never purchase one that is any older than about 2 years. dont even get me started on that.

PTP
03-06-2010, 11:03 AM
I demoed the V-ride a couple of weeks ago and was impressed with it. I much prefer the height adjustment system of the Scag over the Toro. The Scag was simply built more heavy duty. I also like the fact that the deck was separate from the engine. I don't know how that will affect the belt wear and that may be a negative but it may not make a difference at all.

I also preferred the Scag operator suspension system over the Toro in that it was made of steel springs rather than rubber bumpers. Those rubbers are going to wear out and render themselves useless over time.

There were a couple of negatives with the Scag though. For one it was the heaviest - not by a lot but every little bit counts. There was a weight on the front and a better designed system would have eliminated the need for the weight. I imagine that they were restricted by other patents though. Also, the rear tires are 10.5 inches wide rather than the traditional 10". It is very hard to find the same tires. They are made by Kenda but even Kenda's website did not list them. You could put the 10" tires on it but wider is almost always better.

The last thing that I did not like is that you could not get off of the machine unless you 1. Turned the blades off. 2. Placed the hydros in neutral. 3. engaged the parking brake. If you do not do those three things in that order, the engine will cut off. Well, that is very good from a safety perspective but there are times when I really need to get off of the back and help it along in wet conditions. If you get stuck, it would be really handy to be able to operate the hydros and push the mower at the same time. That is not an option with the Scag though.

Landscraper1
03-06-2010, 12:58 PM
The sentar is kind of stuck in between and stander and a ztr. It has flip up seat. but when it's flipped up the machine is very uncomfortable to ride because the seat is in the way. I personally don't care for the sentars. But I love the standers.

Agree 100%. Love the Standers but, not crazy for those Sentars.

djagusch
03-06-2010, 11:31 PM
There were a couple of negatives with the Scag though. For one it was the heaviest - not by a lot but every little bit counts. There was a weight on the front and a better designed system would have eliminated the need for the weight. I imagine that they were restricted by other patents though. Also, the rear tires are 10.5 inches wide rather than the traditional 10". It is very hard to find the same tires. They are made by Kenda but even Kenda's website did not list them. You could put the 10" tires on it but wider is almost always better.

The wider tire will help handle the weight by displacing it over a larger area.

The last thing that I did not like is that you could not get off of the machine unless you 1. Turned the blades off. 2. Placed the hydros in neutral. 3. engaged the parking brake. If you do not do those three things in that order, the engine will cut off. Well, that is very good from a safety perspective but there are times when I really need to get off of the back and help it along in wet conditions. If you get stuck, it would be really handy to be able to operate the hydros and push the mower at the same time. That is not an option with the Scag though.

How fast will it take someone to figure out which wires to unhook or wire differently.

yardguy28
03-07-2010, 12:47 PM

interesting......

i have not found this to be true even slightly......i flip up the platform and walk behind it on hills that i'm uncomfortable standing on the unit.

i never flip it up when loading unless i need the extra space when i'm hauling my walkbehind edger which is twice a season.

lawnjocky
03-07-2010, 01:46 PM
I want to comment on how heavy built the Scag is. I really don't understand why everyone keeps saying this. The Grandstand has a bigger frame (size of the steel) and a lifetime warranty. Besides looking at the two in person just read the specs. The Toro is 866 lbs vs Scags 860 lbs. The Grandstand has more metal guards on it, otherwise the engine's, drives, etc.. are similar but the Toro does not have a 40 lb chunk of iron bolted to the front to hold it down. That weight difference went somewhere. From the overall size of the machines you would expect the Scag to weight more but it does not. I am not knocking Scag (buying two) but I do get tired hearing this from dealers and reading it on the board. The real difference between Scag, Toro, Wright, all good machine's, is in the design and operation of the units. The hard part is choosing which will work best in your mowing business.

hmc610
03-08-2010, 12:04 AM
I have seen the Scags at a lawn show and I thought that they were to big. Not compact enough they seem large.

Pro-Scapes
03-09-2010, 06:28 PM

This is about the only thing 100% keeping me from getting the Scag. I was told by an unnamed source this could be bypassed easy enough and I could comfortably walk behind the Scag but im not sold until I actually see it and walk behind it. The Toro is VERY comfortable for me to walk behind which is one of the features I am not going to budge on. I really do preffer the service the Scag/hustler/stihl dealer I use gives me. I even take our ZMasters in there now they are out of warranty.

LawnScapers of Dayton
03-10-2010, 05:05 AM
I loved my 52" Standers but got so fed up with the crap cut quality I bought a Toro last year. Its OK.....but not nearly as agile as the Wrights.... Also Toro uses a cable system for the controls.....I have found that that system tends to come out of adjustment regularly...

I want a Wright Stander with the cut quality of the Toro....

yardguy28
03-10-2010, 08:48 AM
I loved my 52" Standers but got so fed up with the crap cut quality I bought a Toro last year. Its OK.....but not nearly as agile as the Wrights.... Also Toro uses a cable system for the controls.....I have found that that system tends to come out of adjustment regularly...

what adjustment are you making?

i haven't made a single adjustment to my 52" toro grandstand. it's run perfect from day one.

Lawn Pawn
03-10-2010, 10:13 AM

Take this for what it's worth to you.... but this improved the cut of my Wright 36 BIGG time. Much better discharge... and almost never any little stringers left standing up in tall grass.

Tached the engine RPM... and the spindle speed. BOTH WERE WAY SLOW FROM FACTORY SPECS. Why??? have no idea.

Brought the engine up to proper speed.... and installed half inch smaller pullies on the spindles that I got from a local machine supply shop.

Now it's at the factory specs. and cuts 200% better. Never never trust even a new mower to be set up properly!!!!

yardguy28
03-10-2010, 03:54 PM
i have great faith in my dealers to set up my mowers properly. i would never check anything unless i had a problem.

it's the dealers job to set up the mower before sending it off to you and they have people who know what they are doing.

if you don't trust your NEW mower is set up properly, thats the same as saying you don't trust your dealer. if you don't trust your dealer it's time to find a new one.

so far i have always have and always will trust my dealers unless they give me reason not to. i know everyone's experiences are different as well but i've never had a machine that wasn't set up properly.

LawnScapers of Dayton
03-10-2010, 06:55 PM
Take this for what it's worth to you.... but this improved the cut of my Wright 36 BIGG time. Much better discharge... and almost never any little stringers left standing up in tall grass.

Tached the engine RPM... and the spindle speed. BOTH WERE WAY SLOW FROM FACTORY SPECS. Why??? have no idea.

Brought the engine up to proper speed.... and installed half inch smaller pullies on the spindles that I got from a local machine supply shop.

Now it's at the factory specs. and cuts 200% better. Never never trust even a new mower to be set up properly!!!!

I run a Tiny Tach on all my mowers.....I increased the RPMs as well.... The spindle thing is interesting but I assume that would void the warranty. I currently still have a 36" Stander that I do not have any problems with......It was my 52" that had bad cut quality....

LawnScapers of Dayton
03-10-2010, 06:57 PM
what adjustment are you making?

i haven't made a single adjustment to my 52" toro grandstand. it's run perfect from day one.

I gradually lose speed, and the tracking continually is out of wack.....the large hex nuts behind the leg pad vibrate and loosen....

djagusch
03-10-2010, 07:09 PM
I gradually lose speed, and the tracking continually is out of wack.....the large hex nuts behind the leg pad vibrate and loosen....

Easy fix is loctite

yardguy28
03-10-2010, 07:21 PM

i think the loosing speed thing sounds like a major problem you should have your dealer look at.

as for the tracking. i've never adjusted mine. it's been close enough for me. i'm never concerned with having it perfect because i personally believe no matter how close your tracking is, uneven or bumpy terrain will still cause your lines to be crooked unless you adjust as your "driving" the machine.

Lawn Pawn
03-10-2010, 07:22 PM
Just to be clear on bumping the speed up on my 36 Wright.....

This was not a new machine, had a few hundred hours. But I still have never bought a new machine that at minimum did not need the deck pitch set correctly, and leveled side to side.

yardguy28
03-10-2010, 07:28 PM
maybe you should change where you buy your machines.

every new machine i've ever purchased has been ready to hit the field from leaving the store.

not saying it stays that way forever but i've stopped at the dealer first thing in the morning picked up the mower, threw it on the trailer and went to work with no problems. i've also stopped in the middle of the day when my trimmer took a crap. bought a new one and right back in the field to finish the day.

the guys putting the equipment should know what there doing and in my neck of the woods they sure do.

LawnScapers of Dayton
03-11-2010, 12:26 AM
Easy fix is loctite

the point was that I dont like having to mess with this at all.......but thanks for the suggestion

LawnScapers of Dayton
03-11-2010, 12:29 AM
i think the loosing speed thing sounds like a major problem you should have your dealer look at.

as for the tracking. i've never adjusted mine. it's been close enough for me. i'm never concerned with having it perfect because i personally believe no matter how close your tracking is, uneven or bumpy terrain will still cause your lines to be crooked unless you adjust as your "driving" the machine.

Thats a great idea........its only been in 3 times...........

Seriously........I have only been doing this for 13 years..........but thanks for the operations lesson.....

bflograssman
03-11-2010, 05:18 PM

7300 in my neck of woods

jvanvliet
06-26-2011, 05:20 PM
I have and am getting large numbers of "0" lot line homes. I have 2 36" Metro's in my inventory but they are belt driven and won't do well with a velke. I have enough "0" lot line accounts to warrant adding 2 standers or even ZTR's if the width deck is narrow enough

Anybody have any ideas about a smaller than 36" deck on a stander or ZTR? I still want some extra HP to put on a mulching kit.

Looked at Wright, Great Dane & Torro so far. All their small decks are bigger than I want, I'm hoping for something around 30"

My other mowers are Exmark

Any thoughts? :dancing:

Florida Gardener
06-26-2011, 05:28 PM
jvan

knowing the grass you cut and the properties you have, a 36 wright stander will be plenty. I have the 15 hp pull start with a mulch kit and if you are mulching thick grass, I think the 17hp is the way to go plus it has electric start. My 15hp does good with the mulch kit, but i havent cut a yard yet that has had a couple days worth of rain so Im not sure how it will perform in those conditions.

I would go with a wright though, it is a solid machine.

bonzo1012
07-02-2011, 12:28 AM
great dane surfer, more comfort, cheaper, rut friendly, built like a tank and did i say cheaper!

Anyone ever notice the likeness of the standers? great dane, gravely pro sance, everride scorpion?? all grate danes in disguize, heres a little nugget dane scag is the inventor and him and Wright arent on the best of terms.

T.E.
07-02-2011, 09:49 AM
Wright Standers!