PDA

View Full Version : Was the beginning ever slow?

RwADesigner
06-12-2002, 07:39 PM
We are a very new landscape design/build company and we have been at it for about 3-4 months hard. We both have alot of experience in this field as well as education. But we are just now starting our own together.....

Money seems to be very tight right now...cuz the phone isnt ringing off the hook....of course we havent advertised yet.....we are setting up a advertising plan for flyers....phone book....so on.

I guess my question is.....When you guys started out...was it slow to begin with..and did you ever feel like you just wanted to quit........but kept going...because you knew and hoped it would eventually take off....

any feedback is good feedback

Thanks guys

site
06-12-2002, 11:30 PM
I spent the year before I started making contacts and getting things ready, then started small. I had one one ton dump one wheelbarrow full of tools and some big ideas. The first year went pretty smooth. About year 3 as I started having multiple employees and bigger jobs that's when the --it hit the fan. I have quit the business on average once a year since then, but usually calm down about an hour later and get back to work.
The business is now 6 years old. Grossing right about a million with 10 employees 5 trucks and a whole bunch of wheelbarrows full of tools.
I usually scramble to find work for 2 weeks in March and 2 weeks in August. If you are slow do some networking. Pass out flyers, talk to contractors, talk to nursery owners, talk to brick-stone suppliers, join rotary, subscribe to the construction leads papers for your area, and get ready- once it takes off you'll be wishing you were slow.

RwADesigner
06-13-2002, 12:40 AM
Thanks alot for the reply

I enjoy doing this! and i know the money is there....just got to keep at it

thanks

rwa