PDA

View Full Version : Grass growing in Shaded Area

Ben's Landscape
03-03-2010, 07:17 PM
I am looking at getting a new lawn. The lady said that she had a nice and full lawn at one time then her husband died and the grass when downhill.

So I was wondering what tequniques are best for getting grass to grow in shaded areas. Right now there is grass on the property but it is not thick and healthy. What kind of grass would work best? Thanks for all the information. I would post pics of the yard but they are on my phone and I cant put them up here. If anyone would want to see the pics I can send them to you via text.

touhey33
03-03-2010, 07:59 PM
Im pretty sure creeping red fescue is the best for shaded areas.

slplow
03-03-2010, 08:34 PM
Poa sapina from what I have been told is the best for shade but needs more water in the heat.

Merkava_4
03-03-2010, 09:18 PM
Perennial rye grass would work too.

SangerLawn
03-03-2010, 09:32 PM
See if you have a lesco near you. They carry a seed called triple blend. We had some great results from it. It is a mixture of different types of fescue. Some do awesome in shade, some in high traffic areas, and others in droughts. They all blend together in one bag and make a really good looking lawn.

Of course if you have horrible soil nothing is going to grow. You may want to have a soil sample taken to make sure nothing needs done to prep it. Once the soil is right, go rent a power seeder and power seed those areas. Of course with it being a cool season grass you will need to do this in the fall.

Hope that helps?

Ben's Landscape
03-03-2010, 09:57 PM
Thanks for the prompt responses. I did some research and it said fescue for shade. Can that be put down the the spring like early like now? Where would I take a sample of soil to be tested?

anlo
03-03-2010, 10:29 PM
Slplow is right, but its Poa Supina. can't be beat for cool season shade. Have had great success with it.

Darryl G
03-03-2010, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the prompt responses. I did some research and it said fescue for shade. Can that be put down the the spring like early like now? Where would I take a sample of soil to be tested?

Most states have an agricultural extension service that will do a soil test free or for a nominal fee and make recommendations on what it needs.