PDA

View Full Version : high lift, low lift? san augustine/bermuda in east Texas

RhettMan
03-03-2010, 09:45 PM
Whats your vote for the best spring time option?

Turf Dawg
03-04-2010, 12:12 AM
To me the St Augustine needs some lift and the Bermuda could dang near be cut with a flat blade. I prefer the Gator 3n1 blade because it has enough lift for the St Augustine but not too much for the Bermuda. Just my preference though.

Merkava_4
03-04-2010, 12:46 AM
High lift or low lift? You need REEL lift. :drinkup:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4006/4405127557_10f87e2ea0_o.jpg

greendoctor
03-04-2010, 12:58 AM
High lift rotary sharpened to a razor edge for the st augustine, reel mower for the bermuda.

JimQ
03-04-2010, 10:24 AM
Better go with the Low lift. That Bermuda really gobbles up the hp and you really don't need much lift for either grass type.

My experience tells me low lift. Also, look for a blade sharpened all the way to the center. I've found it reduces random uncut grass and really "crisps" up the cut.

Q

brucec32
03-04-2010, 01:19 PM
I've mowed both types and in my experience neither requires any sort of high lift blade. Both are pretty rigid grasses and don't need any standing up like the floppier Fescues and Bluegrasses. Moderate lift at most will do.

High lifts will also wear faster, much much faster if the soil is sandy. I was taking off nubs daily in Florida till I switched. Wore the sails right off.

You will also have more effective power with lower lift blades.

I only mulch Bermuda, as clippings look terrible laying on top of the dense turf. St. Aug is sparse enough for cuttings to fall down to the soil level and decompose. I was able to mulch St. Aug pretty good in S. Florida, so I'd try mulching both.