PDA

View Full Version : Longbed ok for plowin?

DoetschOutdoor
03-03-2010, 10:16 PM
Without joining plowsite just yet and just looking for a quick answer, can someone tell me if I will regret getting a longbed truck when it comes time to plow? Looking at quad cab long bed dodge 3/4 ton and will be doing 90% driveways for first year or so and most of those are pretty short...should I go with the shortbed or just go with longbed? I really wanna get a toolbox back there in the bed and the shortbed with toolbox just seems too small of a bed to work with and plowing seems to be my only worries about the longbed...opinions? Thx

stroker51
03-03-2010, 10:21 PM
I plowed for a few winters in a F250 super cab longbed, but I don't touch driveways, all commercial and it's not bad at all. It's actually not much if any longer than my crew cab short bed F250. I dont have much experience with driveways, I did a few with that truck in the big snow storm we had over christmas just to bail people out, and it wasnt that bad, my complaint was more with the super stiff clutch I put in the truck than with the length. I would think I would stick with as short a truck as possible for resi's though.

DuallyVette
03-03-2010, 10:22 PM
Most people have a long bed...just not a four door. I have 2 duallys. 2 & 4 door. I wouldn't want to plow anything besides a road with the 4 door.

Darryl G
03-03-2010, 10:24 PM
I've never plowed with a quad cab, just standard cab 8 foot bed 3/4 tons and manuevering with even them can be a problem. It's easier now that I have a V plow because I can fold it into V mode when manuvering in tight spots to get additional clearance..makes a big difference not having all that plow out front. Personally I wouldn't wanna be driving a quad with 8 foot bed.

DoetschOutdoor
03-03-2010, 10:36 PM
Dam, this is what I was afraid of hearing but better to hear it now then when next winter rolls around. The space with the long bed would be so nice but might just hafta go with shortbed.

Darryl G
03-03-2010, 10:53 PM
Or get a snowblower and maybe an operator for it to get the spots you can't get into. It's just a matter of not being able to get the truck in certain places...like can't swing into the turnout or whatever. You may have to swing pretty wide or do a 3 point turn entering the driveway from road if it comes in on an angle, stuff like that. It's less than ideal for sure. I think the ideal driveway truck is something like a Tacoma with a downpressure plow.

DoetschOutdoor
03-04-2010, 03:25 PM
Yea this newer dodge will be my work/personal truck, wish I had the luxury of having 2 or more trucks so that I could get the right driveway truck.
Another question (hopefully not too dumb), when you are doing driveways with the truck, can you drag the snow out in reverse? Alot of the driveways I will be doing are really short, like 2 lengths of the truck and Im just wondering if I can pull up to the garage door and then reverse it out into the streets? Alot of them are on culdesacs or other streets where Id have room to turn around in the street...
Im looking to get a 4 wheeler and have someone on that so in that case the truck wouldnt be used except for the big driveways. But the 4 wheeler is not a guarantee yet and I would still like to be able to do some driveways with the dodge. Around here, you do one or two driveways on a street and the whole street wants it done...I dont wanna make the mistake of getting too big of a truck either.

Darryl G
03-04-2010, 05:54 PM
Yah, to your question, sort of. What i usually do is pull push off the heavy deep snow up at the apron (the entrance to the driveway) enough to get in easily then plow my way in and push off to the side before I get to the garage door, usually to the back side of the driveway turnout if there is one. Then I pull up to the garage as close as I safely can, drop the plow and drag it back. Then I may push that off to the turnout as well or go back out to the street, turn around and back in and then push out to the end of the driveway and then push it back. In most if not all areas, it's illegal to push snow across the street. If I do, it's usually just my final cleanup pass. The main thing is to pick up any spillage so that nobody will hit it and loose control. But you don't want a huge mound of snow up on the edge of the driveway by the road either because it will limit visibility pulling out. The problem with backdragging is that plows are designed to plow frontwards and they may not get all the way down backdragging and may but pack it down to ice. Some people put a backdrag edge on their plows to get it to scrap better. Hiniker has a cool C plow that actuall splits and uses the top of the moldboard as a backdrag plow. Other's have a downpressure system to backdrag better. Under some snow conditions, I won't backdrag at all..the heavy wet stuff that packs easily.

Well hope this helps..I'm not gonna even check for typos so let me know if there's something you don't understand.

DoetschOutdoor
03-04-2010, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the help man! Im already a member of soo many dang forums that I cant keep up with and if I go join plowsite I know I wont get on there enough...Ive had to learn most of the stuff in this industry on my complete own and snowplowing is just totally new to me. So many of my customers are asking for it I gotta stop letting the money pass by. Think I might go with the shortbed to be safe and really just try to get the 4 wheeler or good snowblower for the small driveways. Any other tips are appreciated.

S&S Outdoor Services
03-04-2010, 06:37 PM
I do about half commercial and half residential with my 3/4 ton Ram, Ext Cab/ Long Box. It gets a little long sometimes but I've gotten used to it and I would much rather deal with that during the winter than losing out on all that bed space for everything else. In my opinion, it's worth it to get the long box unless it's strictly a plow truck. - Sam

S&S Outdoor Services
03-04-2010, 06:38 PM
PM me if you have any other questions about it.

Darryl G
03-04-2010, 06:41 PM
The guys on PS can be kind of harsh. Most new members there ask one question and never come back, lol. Personally I'd skip the quad unless you have stuff right in your neighborhood you can service with it. You're not gonna want to be loading it onto your truck in the snow and hauling a trailer is a pain in the snow. Most guys just get a little single state Toro to throw in the back..I've got a Honda and it's a good machine but wish I'd bought the Toro. The honda has manual discharge chute and the handle is in the way when doing garage fronts. I've gotten a lot of my lawn care customers through the plowing end of the business.

DoetschOutdoor
03-06-2010, 08:17 AM
Thanks for the advice guys appreciate it! Test drove a bright red longbed yesterday and pulling the trigger Monday if I can come up with tax money....for sure going to be getting a snowblower, maybe wait on the 4 wheeler another year. My shop is right next to my neighborhood and about 20 others so I might look into getting a 4 wheeler and just having that head out straight to the neighborhoods next year. We'll see. Look for pics of the new(er) cummins soon!!!!

ProTouch Groundscapes
03-06-2010, 08:57 AM
i have an F350 crew cab long bed single rear wheel and plow alot of driveways. sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do lol.

dodgerfan
03-06-2010, 10:08 AM
Personally I would Not do a long box with a quad and a plow. I have a quad short box & do 50-70 resies & it's hard enough getting around the residential area's, parked cars' (on the street) let alone getting into some of the dirves especially with all the snow this year!
I'd go with a std cab or a ext cab so you have a little room.

Good Luck

DoetschOutdoor
03-06-2010, 04:28 PM
I wish I could get a single cab truck dodgerfan but this is my only truck so I gotta have somethign more than single cab and dodge does not make the newer big trucks in the regular extended cab version...I almost pulled the string on a 4wheeler last year on craigslist with plow so Ill keep surfin there looking for good deals to supplement the truck/plow for next year.

pitrack
03-07-2010, 09:08 PM
I think you would be fine doing drives, just watch out for mailboxes across from the driveway you're plowing..easy to back into.

CLS LLC
03-09-2010, 11:14 AM
I think you would regret the quad/long bed. If you're plowing you pretty much have to choose bed space or people space. You can't have both.

DoetschOutdoor
03-09-2010, 07:46 PM
I bought the truck, 06 longbed. Doesnt seem big at all really driving around town but I know that will change when plowing. We will see, hopefully Ill have other means of getting the smaller driveways cleared.

Darryl G
03-09-2010, 07:50 PM
Grats on the truck! Hanging a plow on the front greatly increased your swing too. Less than ideal for sure but we all have to pick our own priorities.

Swampy
03-09-2010, 09:35 PM
Grats on the truck! Hanging a plow on the front greatly increased your swing too. Less than ideal for sure but we all have to pick our own priorities.

True!

I have F350 4x2 Standard Cab with a 8ft flatbed for my plow truck. I used to have a Dodge 150 that someone customized a 6ft bed on it. Honestly it was the better set up then the Ford. I ended up just selling it when I went with the ford. I needed a heavier truck. Plus my first truck that I still have is a short bed. If I could find a 3/4 ton with a standard cab and a short box I'd pick that up but to what I'm aware of they don't exist.

But anyways its true that you need to pick what works for you. Me I'm happy with my short bed 1/2 ton. If I need to haul anything that is what the flatbed is there for.

DoetschOutdoor
03-09-2010, 10:27 PM
I really just got the long bed because with the shortbed when you put the toolbox in the bed you end up with barely any usable bed space. The toolbox will be filled with basic tool set, tow straps, cleaning supplies, etc. so I couldnt not have a toolbox. We go boating and camping alot too so the longbed will come in very handy then too . This truck was local and just too clean to pass up so I went against my original wants and got the longbed. I went from an 02 ZR2 S-10 4.3L to 06 Cummins so Im frieken pumped to say the least!!!