PDA

View Full Version : Savannah Holly Root Spread????

KrayzKajun
03-04-2010, 12:43 AM
customer wants me to trim some savannah holly trees. they about 30ft in height and have grown out of control. stick about 8ft above the roof on a 2-story house!

they are only about 2.5ft away from the house. the wife wants to remove them completely because of the how large they are.

with a tree this size, wht size root spread am i looking at? reason i ask is because they are worried the roots are growing under the slab of the home!

any help?
thanks in advance to the Pros!

turf21
03-04-2010, 12:25 PM
I don't know for sure the characteristics of a Savannah Holly but I would assume that you may run into trouble with this one pertaining to the roots. Especially with how close this is to the house. Tree roots spread farther than the dripline of the tree and occupy the top 24" of soil (mostly). Soil types may also play a role in that. Soil in LA (I'm sure) is more loose and you don't have compaction problems like we do here so the roots may spread farther since it's easier for them to move through the soil.

Take a look at this article on tree root systems from IA State...http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortnews/1992/4-1-1992/treeroot.html

KrayzKajun
03-04-2010, 05:24 PM
thank you sir!

turf21
03-04-2010, 05:31 PM
You are very welcome.

I see you're from Harvey. I was down there right after Katrina. Stayed in the cafeteria at John Ehret High School and spent about a months worth of nights at a security checkpoint in Marrero.

KrayzKajun
03-05-2010, 01:56 AM
You are very welcome.

I see you're from Harvey. I was down there right after Katrina. Stayed in the cafeteria at John Ehret High School and spent about a months worth of nights at a security checkpoint in Marrero.

small world! i got home from iraq a week after Katrina!