PDA

View Full Version : Video of ZTR cutting. I have questions...

apples017
03-04-2010, 08:20 AM
Video of ZTR cutting. I have questions...

So this is a Gravely zero turn mower. How is the cutting performance of this machine, on this thick a$$ grass compared to:

1. Scag Turf Tiger
2. Exmark Next Laser Z
3. Hustler Super Z

How do people think these other ztr's would cope with cutting this grass/jungle?

I did see that he has to make 2 passes, as the first pass did leave uncut grass.

Not that I need to cut stuff like this, but its always a good idea to get something that can handle the heavy stuff for the odd jobs etc.

Video Link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKGrrbpuMjc

MOHUSTLER
03-04-2010, 08:50 AM
On thick grass nothing will compare to the scag. Exmark is right behind it. Then hustler/gravely.

N.TX
03-04-2010, 08:54 AM
Well first off I wouldn't cut grass like that with a ztr too often. If you do that on a regular basis get a brush hog. Toro cuts just ok through that. Grasshopper doesnt cut that tall stuff well though. I think grasshopper has one of the best cuts on kept up lawns but horrible on grass thats really tall.

Darryl G
03-04-2010, 09:07 AM
That looks more like job for a rough cut mover. If i were to cut that with a Z, first I'd raise the deck all the way up and then do it again a bit lower. And if I were the camera man, I sure as hell wouldn't be standing in a direct line with the discharge chute. Who knows what could be hiding in that jungle!

apples017
03-04-2010, 03:53 PM
Gee, the scag and exmark always seem to be up there as the best mowers don't they.

ashgrove landscaping
03-04-2010, 10:41 PM
Awesome! way to let her eat... I love taking silly jobs like that once in a while. I usually take one really slow pass just like you re doing and then return the same way and it comes out really clean considering you re cutting head high field grass. Hey as long as you re getting paid your wage and keeping your equipment safe tear it up....

SouthSide Cutter
03-05-2010, 12:43 AM
I keep a lake area cut for a lady and behind the dam looks just like that stuff. I dont think any ZTR will cut that stuff in 1 pass. My TT cut it about like that mower. Really dont like to cut to much like that because I would think it would be hard on the mower clutch over time.

MOHUSTLER
03-05-2010, 08:28 AM
Mowing grass like that is honestly hard on every component on the mower.

hornett22
03-06-2010, 09:25 PM
i'd never use a finish mower to rough cut.

apples017
03-06-2010, 09:31 PM
hornett 22, Yes point taken, Should be using a big tractor and slasher.

But I'm investigating and researching looking at buying a ZTR. The jobs I'd like to hit would be open acerage and rural blocks, which would have heavy stuff like this in it.

So for financial reasons its cheaper to get one big a$$ ztr (diesel) then a ZTR and a big tractor etc.

hornett22
03-06-2010, 10:19 PM
hornett 22, Yes point taken, Should be using a big tractor and slasher.

But I'm investigating and researching looking at buying a ZTR. The jobs I'd like to hit would be open acerage and rural blocks, which would have heavy stuff like this in it.

So for financial reasons its cheaper to get one big a$$ ztr (diesel) then a ZTR and a big tractor etc.

what happens when you hit stump or chunk of cement or metal in that tall grass with that fancy expensive ZTR?

apples017
03-06-2010, 10:40 PM
BANG

Then

F*&K

Then, open wallet and step aside as moths fly out.

turftracerhp
03-07-2010, 08:16 PM
thats funny.but your exactly correct about both.

mowerbrad
03-07-2010, 09:35 PM
I for one, would never take a job like that. First, I have no idea what could be hidden in that "jungle". I could find rocks, sticks, dead bodies, scrap metal, bombs, animals, Bin Laden, etc., and personally I don't want to be the one to come across some of that stuff. And secondly, ztr mowers aren't designed for that type of work...I would destroy a mower in no time using it in conditions like that.

ashgrove landscaping
03-07-2010, 10:25 PM
Apparently you guys are from the city. Mowers are made from 1/4 inch steel and they don't care about grass. I ve been doing jobs like this for years. And never broke a thing. I still use 8 year old mowers on 5 million dollar estates that cut that head high field grass with the same blades. Get real and quit thinking your mowers are made from glass. They re fine! You pay your hard earned money for them beasts. USE THEM! for all their worth. Steel is steel. Dont let them sales men tell you their capabilities. And sell more crap you don t need. Come on guys so what if you bend a couple of blades. It happens from time to time. $50 bucks for a set of new blades is nothing. You make that in an hour. And use one set all season. Quit being glamour queens! We re just cutting grass....

fobaum
03-07-2010, 11:07 PM
I agreeThumbs Up

apples017
03-07-2010, 11:27 PM
Yes I do agree as well, but I can see both sides of the story.

My old busted MTD 38" cut has a stamped/pressed deck that would be about 1.6mm thick (1/16") and I have cut long grass with it but not huge jungle grass like that.

Yes 1/4" is much heavier. So I guess as long as you don't drive full speed into the stuff and hit a rock it will not bend.

As to the blades hitting stuff, well yes it is a PITA , but even with a slasher(bush hog) you still going to hit rock, branches, and other stuff.

How thick are the blades on most big commercial ZTR's?

MJB
03-08-2010, 01:39 AM
Yes I do agree as well, but I can see both sides of the story.

My old busted MTD 38" cut has a stamped/pressed deck that would be about 1.6mm thick (1/16") and I have cut long grass with it but not huge jungle grass like that.

Yes 1/4" is much heavier. So I guess as long as you don't drive full speed into the stuff and hit a rock it will not bend.

As to the blades hitting stuff, well yes it is a PITA , but even with a slasher(bush hog) you still going to hit rock, branches, and other stuff.

How thick are the blades on most big commercial ZTR's?

The brush Hog is designed to take it when you hit stuff. It's not just the blades that can get damaged if you hit a chunk of steel. You can tear up spindles, even break the motor on some ztr's with that sudden stop. My Grass Hopper is designed to let the blades slip if you hit something solid, but when I hit about a 4 inch rock it broke the crankshaft on a 20 Kohler engine years ago.

MOHUSTLER
03-08-2010, 08:41 AM
Apparently you guys are from the city. Mowers are made from 1/4 inch steel and they don't care about grass. I ve been doing jobs like this for years. And never broke a thing. I still use 8 year old mowers on 5 million dollar estates that cut that head high field grass with the same blades. Get real and quit thinking your mowers are made from glass. They re fine! You pay your hard earned money for them beasts. USE THEM! for all their worth. Steel is steel. Dont let them sales men tell you their capabilities. And sell more crap you don t need. Come on guys so what if you bend a couple of blades. It happens from time to time. $50 bucks for a set of new blades is nothing. You make that in an hour. And use one set all season. Quit being glamour queens! We re just cutting grass....

I see your side of the story, But if you have to replace a $50 set of blades on a $50 yard. Broke even and wasted your time....

ALC-GregH
03-08-2010, 08:46 AM
I see your side of the story, But if you have to replace a $50 set of blades on a $50 yard. Broke even and wasted your time....

or better yet, hit a chunk of metal and blow out a spindle along with the blades and it's costing you lots of money to make none.

GreenmanCT
03-08-2010, 08:51 AM
On thick grass nothing will compare to the scag. Exmark is right behind it. Then hustler/gravely.

i demoed a 31hp scag, so i would agree with this statement. the thing didnt even bog down at all, it was pretty amazing.

lotsagrass
03-08-2010, 09:23 AM
The problem with tall grass is that it lays down when the front of the deck hits it and the blades can't always reach it at that point so a second or third pass is needed. The deeper the deck, the better. Also, an open deck in the front is good for tall grass since it won't push it over as much before the blades reach it...but an open front in the deck is more of a brush cutter feature and not for manicured lawns.

apples017
03-08-2010, 04:09 PM
I think the Toro machines have a raised or open front part of the deck? Maybe this is adjustable?

How would a Toro machine rate among the scag, exmark and huslter fr long grass chopping?

Hoy landscaping
03-09-2010, 04:59 PM
go with a scag. but honestly if you need to cut a field like that, charge alot and rent a bush hogg. its not worth ruining your perfectly good mower.

brucec32
03-09-2010, 05:19 PM
As others have pointed out, using a $10K mower designed to mow fine turf to bush hog is asking for damage problems. I stupidly agreed to do an empty lot about like the one in the video and hit a hidden stump almost immediately. The fuse saved the clutch but it really could get much worse.

So the answer is it really doesn't matter since you shouldn't be using the mower for this type of work anyway, and probably all of them would require at least a second pass to get a clean look.

bohiaa
03-09-2010, 09:38 PM

LMAO,,,, I was thinking the same thing. you name it we have hit it....

I personaly have hit a stump so hard it broke a tooth.

hornett22
03-13-2010, 01:50 PM

I spent my hard earned money on a 3215 Mahindra and a Woods brush mower for crap lots like that.