PDA

View Full Version : So....When y'all starting clean-ups in the NorthEast?

lawnguyland
03-04-2010, 09:33 AM
Happy almost spring!

I think I'm gonna start my clean-ups on 3/15. Still have some piles of snow to melt and ground is soaked and muddy. I'm on Long Island- NY.

When are you planning on starting?

I'm sure I'll see dudes out next week and feel like I should go out too, but I think I'm gonna wait for better conditions.

DieselLandscaping
03-04-2010, 09:42 AM
I'll prob. start in june, all this damn snow, we still have about 18 inches here. hopefully by ap.1st

Stevegotcrabgrass
03-04-2010, 09:48 AM
Im in Long Island....Clean ups Maybe end of March depending on weather. In my spring clean ups we redefine the beds which is a silly if the ground is still frozen like it is. Won't cut till at least april 1st. Hope fully we can get some big jobs to stay busy in the early part of the season....We have some sprinkler work lined up too.

lawnguyland
03-04-2010, 09:50 AM
Wow 4/1 seems late to me, but I guess guys down south started already.
I'd love to move up north a bit, but the landscaping season even 100 miles from here is probably 4-6 weeks shorter (2-3 wks ea. in spring and fall). That's a lotta $!
If I start 3/15 and someone else starts 4/1 I will have 2.5 -3 wks more work done and that much more $. I realize no one can help snow, temps, and weather, but I'd go nuts waitng till april and ending in early Dec.
Thanks for the reply Diesel and have a good season.

lawnguyland
03-04-2010, 09:53 AM
Im in Long Island....Clean ups Maybe end of March depending on weather. In my spring clean ups we redefine the beds which is a silly if the ground is still frozen like it is. Won't cut till at least april 1st. Hope fully we can get some big jobs to stay busy in the early part of the season....We have some sprinkler work lined up too.

Yeah I do the beds and edge them too and wont work on frozen lawns, but if it doesn't rain too much should be good to go by the 15th. I usually do clean-ups (which includes a mowing) until mid april and then start weekly maintenance about 4/15.

Darryl G
03-04-2010, 09:58 AM
I start as soon as the ground is firm and dry enough. It won't be long. Differs year to year, but bascially as soon as I can.

HighlandLC
03-04-2010, 10:22 AM
Full mud season here now. Had 1" snow yesterday, then rain showers and all meted. I walked 2 yards other day, and had to stop. Way too soggy. First of April depending on mother nature.

yardatwork
03-04-2010, 10:33 AM
Typically last week of March or first week of April. Seems like I always start mowing the second week of April...however...we still have 3 feet of snow on the ground and about 8 feet high snow piles EVERYWHERE!!!

lawnguyland
03-04-2010, 11:15 AM
cool... thanks everyone

blakerugg
03-04-2010, 11:34 AM
still probably almost a month away, theres powder on the ground here in ri right now, beneath it is a ton of mud...

EDEN77
03-04-2010, 11:39 AM
Hopefully in a couple of weeks. Like everyone else, we're waiting for all the snow to melt. As of March 1st, we have already had the 3rd snowiest winter in Pittsburgh's recorded weather history, which goes back to the late 1800s. Won't start mowing until the 1st half of April.

CLARK LAWN
03-04-2010, 11:46 AM
the way the snow is here we may not be able to start til probably at the very earliest would be early April but i dont even see that happening we have at least a foot of snow in most places and in shaded areas its still almost 2 feet.

K/B
03-04-2010, 12:05 PM
Still 2+ feet of snowpack on the ground here in W NY.

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
03-04-2010, 12:48 PM
I sent an email to Mother Nature for a date I could start spring work. She still hasn't replied yet!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

green_with_envy
03-04-2010, 02:11 PM
Too much snow here yet. Maybe end of March

Assuredlandscape
03-04-2010, 02:41 PM
Still got about 5" of snow on the ground in wisconsin. Hoping to start clean ups within the next 2 weeks im hoping 3/22...

hackitdown
03-04-2010, 02:43 PM
Usually we start cleanups 4/1, and we start mowing around 5/1. But we have very little snow cover this year, so maybe a little earlier.

pkra12
03-04-2010, 03:25 PM
Anyone around northeast ohio remember how nice last march and april were? Man it was awesome, started cleanups early march and got 5 cuts per account in April....I'd kill for that now

ALC-GregH
03-04-2010, 03:55 PM
sounds like a broken record with all the " too much snow on the ground still" going on. :D
I'm just patiently waiting for it to melt.

Landscraper1
03-04-2010, 04:34 PM
Usually we start cleanups 4/1, and we start mowing around 5/1. But we have very little snow cover this year, so maybe a little earlier.

Ditto. I might start a week earlier if the weather is right. No matter what I try to wait for May 1st on mowing. Have all contracts, no need to give customers an extra mowing, if I can't help it.:nono:

STIHL GUY
03-04-2010, 04:59 PM
planning on starting in the beginning of april

Darryl G
03-04-2010, 06:32 PM
I got no snow on the ground here. Just some small piles left at this point. I went around and inspected some of my accounts this afternnoon...lots of sticks down..lots and lots.

Also pulled my plowing stakes out and inpsected for turf damage...I messed up one lawn pretty good at the end of the turnout. Got a nice pile of driveway gravel on another. I'll probably try to get a jump on things this year since plowing income was way down with everyone else getting snow but me. Will try to get my cleanups done early so I can do some lawn renovations as soon as it's warm enough.

deere615
03-04-2010, 11:08 PM
I'll prob. start in june, all this damn snow, we still have about 18 inches here. hopefully by ap.1st

Same here, But I would like to get started as soon as possible because spring gets busy real quick!

ashgrove landscaping
03-04-2010, 11:09 PM
it s april 15 every year. i don't know how it ends up like that. 11 years running. Upstate ny on the vt border near manchester, vt.

bare spot
03-05-2010, 01:43 AM
thinking april, got a few mulch jobs would like to get at sooner, weather permitting (still got snow).

gardiner
03-05-2010, 08:48 AM
being it my 3rd season . i had to looked at the time sheets and both years i started around march 20 .
but i don't see me starting till April with all the snow on the ground i still have like 2-3 inches of snow around my trailer .

lawnguyland
03-05-2010, 09:35 AM
I too still have snow on the ground, but if all goes well it should be 99% gone by the end of next week, then I gotta get out there or go nuts. I'll consider anything I can do the week of the 15th bonus and less I have to do the rest of the month and into early april.

ALC-GregH
03-05-2010, 11:33 AM
With all the snow that was pushed into the grass, I bought one of these to clear all the gravel and debris out of the grass. This thing works GREAT for cleaning up stones and debris. :)

http://www.echo-usa.com/Images/Products/ProAttachments/99944200620/99944200620.jpg

Darryl G
03-05-2010, 12:11 PM
Yah, those are the tool for the job. Great for heavy concentrations of nuts under trees too.

A lot of times I'll run mine upside down. Much easier on the operator but a bit less aggressive as far as the cleaning action goes. But it will pull it self away from you that way and you just drag it back. And if you need to transport it, just fire it up, set it on the ground behind you and give it a little throttle. It will walk right along with you.

It's not a tool I use a lot but when I do use it it's handy as hell. Great for sawdust from tree work and getting any spilled mulch out of the turf too.

McFarland_Lawn_Care
03-05-2010, 03:20 PM
Yes I have two of those rubber power brooms attachments for my Stihil's for spring cleanups mostly - they work great!! And we can rotate the head around so it can be pushed or pulled to operate. Great investment...

DixieFerris
03-05-2010, 03:43 PM
We will start on our commercial cleanups probably last days of March or 1st of April (weather dependent, maybe earlier). Usually start the houses about a week after the commercial ones are done, giving them more time to dry so we can dethatch. Edging an prep team goes out around end of March too an the mulch crew follows them about 3-4 days behind. Dethatching and mulch keeps us busy all April, so the earlier the better. Already have over 1,000 yrds of mulch booked and over 300 properties to dethatch and cleanup. We are about 30 mins above Albany, NY

nobagger
03-05-2010, 04:56 PM
Would like to start around 1st or 2nd week of April. Realistically we're looking at another month of winter here. We still have about a foot of snow on the ground and monster 20ft snow piles everywhere. We usually get a big snow storm around late March/early April.