PDA

View Full Version : Questions on making a stone parking lot

ajordan193
03-04-2010, 10:47 PM
I'm looking to add additional parking for trucks and trailers at my shop. Right now the area is dirt and grass. What is the best way to go about making this area suitable for storing trailers so the stone doesn't just sink into the ground and become a mess when it rains?

Drew Gemma
03-04-2010, 11:01 PM
i did that 4 years ago. excavate to the clay then laydown fabric then use stone. The fabric will prevent the stone from getting sucked up in the base.

ajordan193
03-04-2010, 11:04 PM
In the past the stone I used on the main road wasn't large enough and ended up getting sucked up in the truck tires. What type of fabric and size of stone is best to use in this situation?

Drew Gemma
03-05-2010, 12:27 AM
we use a geo textile fabric 12.5ft. by 300 ft cost about 300-350 a roll. Then we used slag a by product of steel making. It is cheap we used 1's and 2's then topcoated with 57 white limestone. Just don't use stone with sharp edges.

ajordan193
03-05-2010, 12:45 AM
Would this work for fabric? http://www.idealtruevalue.com/servlet/the-138106/Detail

Drew Gemma
03-05-2010, 12:53 AM
i think so but you want to go wide because you need to over lap seams. this stuff is what they put down prior to paving a road around here.

Dirt Boy
03-07-2010, 09:02 PM
I don't think you want to use that kind of fabric. Like Drew said, it needs to be wider, and is made specifically for under roads, etc.
Contact a construction company, that either does concrete roadwork or heavy excavating, they either would have some to sell you or be able to tell you where to get it.
Another option, and I don't know how expensive it is, is called "cell-tek", there web site is at www.gravel-lok.com.
If you can get that slag that Drew talks about, that is the absolute best, like he says, put that in and cover it over.

Regards

Darryl G
03-07-2010, 09:12 PM
I never use fabric under parking areas/driveway, only beds. What I do is scrape off any really soft material such as muck and topsoil and level the area and pitch it how I want for drainage. If it's a wet area I'll put down 3.5 inch washed drainage rock on the bottom but I usually just skip that and put down 3.5 inch process stone...or 3.5 minus as some call it. Smooth and compact and then top with 3/4 or 1.5 inch process. The process is nice because it has fines in it that lock everything together. My vehicle parking area I actually did a little different but it's right behind my house and was pretty solid to begin with. I just put down 3/4 process and then topdressed with 3/8 clean pea gravel. Looks nice but a royal pita to plow...even if you pick up the blade it sticks to the snow.

I really think the fabric is unnecessary. BTW, I just compact by backdragging with my front end loader with all the weight on it..basically front wheels barely touching the ground. I'll go frontwards sometimes too actually.

Dirt Boy
03-07-2010, 11:51 PM
Might depend on what you have for soil, but if you want it to last and not have to be re-rocking it all the time, then the money for fabric is money well spent.
A good heavy fabric will keep the base from mixing with your rock and settling away.

ajordan193
03-08-2010, 12:19 AM
Thanks guys, guess ill see where I can find fabric locally then.
Posted via Mobile Device

Darryl G
03-08-2010, 12:38 AM
K...seems like overkill to me but only thing it can hurt is the wallet I guess.

Drew Gemma
03-08-2010, 01:01 AM
"I never use fabric under parking areas/driveway, only beds"

Dude wtf?

Fabric under mulch it is 2010?
You can remove all the muck you want if your trucks are heavy enough and it rains/ freeze /thaw you will be putting stone down the rest of your life. I would have said okay maybe but then you said you fabric mulch beds so you have zero credability in my book on that note. Do it cheap now and you can gravel it the rest of your life along with dealing with the ruts. Put money down up front and be done.

Darryl G
03-08-2010, 10:03 AM
Fabric under beds with stone only, not mulch. We were talked about stone Drew!!!!!!!!!!!
You know what happens when you assume dude...well you did it, lol.

Do you guys put down fabric under your walk and patio bases too. Around here you just don't put fabric down under driveways, parking areas or walk/patio bases. Maybe it's because we heave some really nice stone here. Tilcon has a processing plant nearby and their traprock (it's actually basalt) makes a great base all on it's own. I did my driveway with it 10 years ago and it still looks good..stone is still there, hasn't gone anywhere except what I've plowed off it...I just york raked it yesterday to refresh it a bit in fact.

Hey, do whatever you want, I really don't care, but I wouldn't use fabric.

MarcSmith
03-08-2010, 10:40 AM
if you end scraping the top, before you put down any stone, might want to consider some small tranches with perf pipe to really assist with any drainage issues...

Drew Gemma
03-08-2010, 10:56 AM
yes around here you fabric everything to separate the different sub bases. Freeze thaw cycle just sucks up the stone.

Darryl G
03-08-2010, 12:29 PM
We're usually dealing with sandy soils here, probably the difference. I never said not to use fabric, just that I don't find the need for it here. If local practice is to use it there's probably a reason.

Darryl G
03-08-2010, 02:56 PM
Hey Drew, I just checked the soil survey in your county and looks like you have a lot of lacustarine (lake bed) deposits there, so lots of clay. Poorly drained and all that, so it makes sense that you would use fabric a lot.

Here on the CT shore, I've got mostly alluvial and glacio-fluvial deposits...basically stuff that's been worked by streams and glacier melt. Much better drained and mostly sand and gravel although some of the glacial deposits can have a good bit of silt in them. But nothing like the clay you've got there..water really can't get percolate through clay.

Anyway, was just curious why such a difference in practices.

WGrnd21
03-08-2010, 05:39 PM
Use crush and run, this is a crushed stone w some sand as a base. Compact that and the put your stone down. It works great!!

ajordan193
03-08-2010, 06:53 PM
Thanks again guys. Just waiting for the snow to melt here and things to dry up a bit so I can get to work.