PDA

View Full Version : How far back can I trim Yew

mlc4163
06-13-2002, 11:14 AM
I've been ask to cut back a wildly overgrown Yew (taxus)

What are my guide lines and how far back is to far?

KenH
06-13-2002, 05:47 PM
Im not sure if there is a guideline. Ive cut yews all the way to the ground, and they sprouted new growth. I would say 1/2 the shrub to be safe.

Lanelle
06-13-2002, 07:58 PM
Just do it before the beginning of July to allow the new growth to harden off before freezing weather arrives.

robert payer
06-13-2002, 08:53 PM
Here's a question? Lanelle are you still with us here?

What plants should never be sheered very heavy for size reduction reasons?

Plants that I have found tempermental:
1)Alberta Spruces- Never prune before summer
2) Gold Mops- Never prune overly tight
I have never seen 1 & 2 die from pruning.

Somewhat new lesson, Spirea is a plant and not a shrub. Cut it down to almost 1 foot every couple of years. Looks much better during the bare winter season with out being so thick and knotted looking.

Lanelle
06-13-2002, 09:26 PM
Things that look lousy if they are sheared: Nandinas, forsythia, Buddlea, Junipers. Those are the ones that quickly come to mind. Just as Spirea should be heavily pruned to renovate--same goes for Forsythia and Buddlea. English Boxwood should be plucked and not sheared. I'm sure there are lots more.

Evan528
06-13-2002, 10:28 PM
Lanelle, I agree with all of the above exept the Juniper. I think most Juniper varieties get trashy very quick if not sheared. Juniper makes for a very nice topiary (poodle, pom pom etc) or just rounded out because of the dense needles.

KenH
06-14-2002, 06:42 AM
I think Lanelle is saying you cant HEAVILY prune junipers because they look like garbage afterwards, because the needles are so dense.