PDA

View Full Version : Locked Up

duranlandscaping
03-06-2010, 09:48 PM
The brakes on my open trailer lock up everytime that I hook them into the truck. Was doing it off and on last season but now they will not release unless i unplug them. Anyone have any ideas on what this could be? Dead battery on the breakaway kit? New Plunger?

PROPERTYLAWNSERVICELLC
03-06-2010, 09:55 PM
sounds like a short

mowisme
03-06-2010, 10:31 PM
My controller has a 'wheel' you turn to make them more sesitive or less sensitive..( more voltage to them=more sensitive I think but not sure?).. any chance yours has this wheel or lever and it got bumped to point they are on always? maybe controller is bad?

360ci
03-06-2010, 10:40 PM
I'd take a multimeter to the lines first and see if you can't oHm anything out. First, be sure to use some white grease on the contact points and see how that works for you.

P.Services
03-06-2010, 10:59 PM
dont feed it so many steak bones. mama use to tell us not to feed the hound so many bones or he will get locked up. I never knew what she meant but you cleared it up.

esnipe8
03-06-2010, 11:56 PM
Ours was doing the same. I think it ended up being either a dead battery or a back plug connection. Did the plug ever come out while driving and drag on the pavement?

duranlandscaping
03-07-2010, 12:36 AM
The plunger got ripped out. My brother pulled forward before i took the cable off the hitch. The plunger went back in. I don't know if I need to replace that or not. The plug from the truck has never come loose. Brand new controller. When I plug in the brakes the controller will not recognize that it is connected but brakes instantly lock.

Horsepower Lawns
03-07-2010, 09:21 AM
The plunger got ripped out. My brother pulled forward before i took the cable off the hitch. The plunger went back in. I don't know if I need to replace that or not. The plug from the truck has never come loose. Brand new controller. When I plug in the brakes the controller will not recognize that it is connected but brakes instantly lock.

Someone moved the brake wire to the hot wire spot. So, when you plug it in it gets full power on the brakes and locks them up or the wire is lose inside the plug.
Or.
The breakaway switch pin is broken or not in all the way. So when you plug it in the hot wire on the truck charges the battery and because the pin out/broken it get full power.

duranlandscaping
03-07-2010, 11:29 AM
Someone moved the brake wire to the hot wire spot. So, when you plug it in it gets full power on the brakes and locks them up or the wire is lose inside the plug.
Or.
The breakaway switch pin is broken or not in all the way. So when you plug it in the hot wire on the truck charges the battery and because the pin out/broken it get full power.

This is what I was thinking. Can i just replace the plunger on the breakaway or the whole unit that it plugs into and resplice it.

Horsepower Lawns
03-07-2010, 01:35 PM
You can do either. But, just the pin and cable is almost as much as the whole thing.

duranlandscaping
03-08-2010, 12:27 AM
You can do either. But, just the pin and cable is almost as much as the whole thing.

I was kinda thinking that. I might grab a new battery while I'm at it. I think it might be dead also

duranlandscaping
03-08-2010, 03:11 PM
installed a new switch and pin. when the truck is plugged in now the brakes don't automatically lock, but now they wont even come on. :confused:

Horsepower Lawns
03-08-2010, 08:09 PM
Does your brake control have a light that comes on when the trailer is plugged in?
If you pulled it like it was, you may have hurt the brakes.

duranlandscaping
03-09-2010, 01:25 AM
brake control won't recognize that the trailer is connected. Lights on the trailer are working fine if that matters.

Horsepower Lawns
03-09-2010, 04:42 PM
brake control won't recognize that the trailer is connected. Lights on the trailer are working fine if that matters.

Before you had trouble, did the brake control light up when the trailer was plugged into the truck?

swim
03-09-2010, 10:16 PM
Here are a couple links to help you check the wiring.
Always make sure you have a good rust free ground.
A bad ground can cause all sorts of problems.
Might also try a ohm meter between the wires to see if any of them are shorted to each other.
http://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx
http://rvbasics.com/techtips/rv-travel-trailer-plug-wiring.html

Swampy
03-09-2010, 11:30 PM
You try the trailer on another truck yet?