PDA

View Full Version : edging pre-existing beds

blakerugg
03-06-2010, 10:54 PM
what method or machine do u use to re-edge pre-exsisting beds and how do you charge for this service?

thanks in advance.

Darryl G
03-06-2010, 11:52 PM
Well if they're really out of shape and ill defined, I'll rent a bed edger. But on my regular accounts they're usually in decent shape and I just run my stick edger along them and then run a triangular hoe or a hula hoe along them to get them deep enough and get a trench. I also may use a square edge shovel, hand hoe, hand edger or whatever else I need to get them right. I charge what I need to in order to cover my time.

blakerugg
03-07-2010, 12:42 AM
Well if they're really out of shape and ill defined, I'll rent a bed edger. But on my regular accounts they're usually in decent shape and I just run my stick edger along them and then run a triangular hoe or a hula hoe along them to get them deep enough and get a trench. I also may use a square edge shovel, hand hoe, hand edger or whatever else I need to get them right. I charge what I need to in order to cover my time.

thanks for the input. this year i have more interested people in bed edging and i havent done too much of it since the beds at my place have cobblestones. so for edges that arent that bad a stick edger and triangle hoe are best. thanks.

SCAPEASAURUSREX
03-07-2010, 07:40 AM
We used to use spades to re edge beds in the spring that would define a nice clean sharp edge and create that " trench" in the edge. Then we would just use stick edgers or regular weed wackers to maintain the edge depending on where the debris would fly and what we were near to prevent and damage or injury.

Darryl G
03-07-2010, 09:34 AM
thanks for the input. this year i have more interested people in bed edging and i havent done too much of it since the beds at my place have cobblestones. so for edges that arent that bad a stick edger and triangle hoe are best. thanks.

Yah, I pretty much just use the edger to cut a clean line in the turf. I find that once I do that I can use the triangle hoe. It's faster than a hand edger but I'll use that too sometimes or a small square spade. I keep all of the hand tools I use for edging knife sharp with an angle grinder. When I'm edging or doing anythng else really, I just lay all my tools out on a tarp and grab whatever I think is best. Then I just grab the tarp and drag it along so my tools are always close by. I pull any existing mulch thats going to stay in the bed out of the way first so I don't mix soil in with it...that's a prescription for weeds down the road.

A power bed edger does a really nice job...you can really cover a lot of ground with one fast but watch out for lighting wires, irrigation lines and all that stuff. But since I need to rent, it's not something I use unless it's a really big job or I can line up a few smaller jobs for it. Earthen edge beds are pretty much the norm around here.

JNyz
03-07-2010, 11:01 AM
A spade works great.

Groomer
03-07-2010, 11:07 AM
I use a brown bededger with a redefining blade on existing beds, then periodic passes with my tanaka walbehind to keep them crisp.

JNyz
03-07-2010, 11:25 AM
What did you pay for your edger?

blakerugg
03-07-2010, 01:12 PM
What do the rest of you charge for this service or how? By the hour? Lin foot?
Posted via Mobile Device

JNyz
03-07-2010, 01:13 PM
$1.00/ft is fair.

White Gardens
03-07-2010, 01:24 PM
I use the yard boss tiller head on the end of my string trimmer.

I then take the tines off one side and go around all beds in the spring to re-define them.

To extend the life of the mulch I then put all the tines back on and turn the mulch in the beds to turn in the bleached out top portion and to help to break up compacted sections of mulch. When I'm done I go around with a garden rake, cleaning out the trenches and move around mulch in the beds if it's too thick in one area, and too thin in another. If I'm being super anal I'll take my leaf-blower and blow out the trench when I'm done.

I can do a property with 1500ft of edging/15 yards of mulch in 3 hours with this method.