PDA

View Full Version : Opinions and suggestions please.

Landscape Illuminating
03-06-2010, 11:36 PM
Hello all,

I'm searching for a fixture to use in the recessed shelf area of this fireplace. The area of the finished top section (mounting area) will be 10x22. I'm not sure if there will be any sort of nosing to hide the fixture so for now I'll assume there will not be.

I'm hoping that I can recess the fixture into the bricks, but that may not be an option. If it is possible, I'd like to at least recess it enough to get the face of the fixture flush with the brick. Optimally I'd like to recess it further of course. I haven't handled the Vanguard fixture yet. I'm wondering if I can recess a modified Vanguard in such a manner. I'll have a conduit coming down into that area that I'll mount to the plate of the Vanguard. Is this a viable solution?

Now, if I can't recess the fixture I'm having trouble finding something that I would like. The only thing I've found so far is the Cast CEWL6CB which would be mounted to the top of the opening facing the rear. This fixture is only 6" and only has one 10w lamp however.

I wish I could use well lights, but that's likely not an option due to the design.

Please note there are no trees around and no structure to use either.

Here it is in it's current phase and the surrounding area:

http://doyon.smugmug.com/photos/803980824_3JUBf-L.jpg

http://doyon.smugmug.com/photos/803980087_2QxGU-L.jpg

Terradek
03-08-2010, 11:20 AM
Have you checked out the Hadco LLL. They come in either 6", 12", 18", or 24" lenghts x 1" wide and tall. The 6" and 12" have a single 10w bipin lamp, the 18" and 24" have two 10w Lamps. For this application they may be what you are looking for (note they are only available in copper). Check them out at www.hadcolighting.com (model LLL).

Good luck, and Best wishes
www.terradek.com
1-800-609-1130

Landscape Illuminating
03-08-2010, 06:18 PM
Thanks for viewing my post and actually responding. I was actually thumbing through a couple of catalogs during lunch today and did in fact notice the Hadco LLL. I did have a couple of questions about them. Are they an open face (no lens)? I guess I'll try to find a better spec sheet than what was in the catalog.

Thanks,
Chad

azdwight
03-08-2010, 08:31 PM
Take a look at the attached pdf. Vista has improved it's rail light and may work very well for you.

emby
03-08-2010, 11:06 PM
Vanguard 8 if your going to consider that type of light. Hands down. Awsome fixture.
Look for Joeys Video on it.

Ken

Landscape Illuminating
03-08-2010, 11:39 PM
Take a look at the attached pdf. Vista has improved it's rail light and may work very well for you.

Thanks for the link. I hadn't given Vista a look. This fixture looks like a mix of the LLL and the Vanguard. It looks to me like it's aluminum however which isn't an option due to the close proximity to the ocean and the likely hood that it will be very difficult to replace.

-Chad

EDIT: I guess it is offered in a brass version. I'll look into it....thanks.

Landscape Illuminating
03-08-2010, 11:41 PM
Vanguard 8 if your going to consider that type of light. Hands down. Awsome fixture.
Look for Joeys Video on it.

Ken

Thanks Ken. My biggest concern with the Vanguard is having access to the screws on each end of the fixture. Depending on the final placement decision this could be an issue if recessed into the stone. The LLL seems like a better option is that circumstance, but the lack of a lens brings up another issue.

-Chad

klkanders
03-09-2010, 01:09 AM
Chad, The Vista and vanguard are available in Copper as well. I have used both the Vista and Unique Vanguard. They are different in size and how the lamp is accessed under the glass lens. The Vista's I installed were the older version I believe, with the screws on the face plate.
Would leaving a small space on each side for a right angle screwdriver work in your application?

Good Luck!

azdwight
03-09-2010, 01:12 AM
Thanks for the link. I hadn't given Vista a look. This fixture looks like a mix of the LLL and the Vanguard. It looks to me like it's aluminum however which isn't an option due to the close proximity to the ocean and the likely hood that it will be very difficult to replace.

-Chad

EDIT: I guess it is offered in a brass version. I'll look into it....thanks.

The Vista series also comes in Copper, Brass, and Stainless Steel. They can also powder coat any of these to help the fixture blend into its environment. The new lens release makes it easy to access the lamp with no tools and protects the lamp better than most other similar fixtures.

I would give it a try.

RLDesign
03-09-2010, 10:05 AM
CASTs similar rock mounted edge light is one of the most forward thinking fixtures of this type. Dave B. at CAST really put some thought into application on this fixture with the mounting options and lamp tiltout. If I had a choice and it was rustic, I would choose this fixtures. The Mason liter by Nightscaping is also another option.

Talk soon.

Tanek

Someone might have the link or a photo of CASTs ledge light installed.

JoeyD
03-09-2010, 02:15 PM
All of the Vaguard fixtures in both copper and brass have removeable mounting plates so that you can flush mount the fixture. You would want access to both ends howevr to drop the shorud as the lens is sealed in place. If you need anymore detailed photos or specs let me know and I can take some pictures and measurements for you. Otherwise everything is on the web.

The fixtures can also be powdercoated any color you wish but nothing better than our weathered brass finish.

Landscape Illuminating
03-09-2010, 11:15 PM
The Vista series also comes in Copper, Brass, and Stainless Steel. They can also powder coat any of these to help the fixture blend into its environment. The new lens release makes it easy to access the lamp with no tools and protects the lamp better than most other similar fixtures.

I would give it a try.

I think you are right. It looks like the perfect fixture for use in this application. Thanks for the lead.

CASTs similar rock mounted edge light is one of the most forward thinking fixtures of this type. Dave B. at CAST really put some thought into application on this fixture with the mounting options and lamp tiltout. If I had a choice and it was rustic, I would choose this fixtures. The Mason liter by Nightscaping is also another option.

Talk soon.

Tanek

Someone might have the link or a photo of CASTs ledge light installed.

I recently discovered the Cast light. If I would have needed to surface mount the fixture, this would have been a great option.

All of the Vaguard fixtures in both copper and brass have removeable mounting plates so that you can flush mount the fixture. You would want access to both ends howevr to drop the shorud as the lens is sealed in place. If you need anymore detailed photos or specs let me know and I can take some pictures and measurements for you. Otherwise everything is on the web.

The fixtures can also be powdercoated any color you wish but nothing better than our weathered brass finish.

Joey, it turns out that the fixture will be recessed into the brick. Having to gain access to the shroud screws was the eliminating factor for the Vanguard. Better luck next time.

-Chad