PDA

View Full Version : What ATV to buy??!!

POPO4995
03-07-2010, 12:52 PM
I went looking for 2 new ATV's yesterday. Always liked Honda so was pretty dead set on that brand. I also wont buy anything except 4x4 and automatic. So basically I want a top of the line ATV, nothing small. Main uses would be riding trails, but thought about putting a plow on one and a sprayer on the other. Well after going to the dealer, he suggested I look at Kawasaki since they were offering a $1300 rebate right now. Prices below include everything except tax. So below is the breakdown and I need help because I cant decide!

2010 Honda Rincon 680cc 4x4 Fully Auto independent rear susp. - $7999

2009 Honda Rubicon 500cc 4x4 Auto solid rear axle - $7199

2010 Kawasaki Brute Force 750cc 4x4 Auto independent rear susp - $7100

Kawasaki includes trailer hitch and 12V outlet standard. Options on the Honda. Honda has ALOT better financing also. Was going to pay cash for one, finance the other. Please help me choose!

DoetschOutdoor
03-07-2010, 03:48 PM
Id go with the 500 honda and the kawi. Ive ridden the kawis and OMG!! I can imagine the hondas are really good too though just as all the brands nowadays are. I think I would enjoy having the mix of a 500 and the 750 rather than just the 2 biggest. Make that dealer come down a little if you are buying 2 brand new current year top of the line quads. Not many people are doing that nowadays so you should have some bargaining power.

gtmorgan89
03-07-2010, 04:08 PM
I have found that Honda's do not hold their value very well. Suzuki and Kawasaki seem to hold value the best. I would suggest buying a used ATV, especially since you plan on paying cash. Financing is the reason most people buy new. There are all kinds of deals to be had on slightly used ATV's right now.

AI Inc
03-07-2010, 05:08 PM
Buy whatever is sold closest to the area you plan on doing most of your riding. They all break if ya have enough fun on them.

POPO4995
03-07-2010, 05:19 PM
All three of these ATV's are sold by the same dealer in town here. I went to a dealer about 25 miles away and they wouldnt budge at all. These prices are atleast $500 off asking price. I've pretty much got my mind set on either the Rincon or Brute Force, now I cant decide which brand!!!!!:confused:

gtmorgan89
03-07-2010, 05:21 PM
All three of these ATV's are sold by the same dealer in town here. I went to a dealer about 25 miles away and they wouldnt budge at all. These prices are atleast $500 off asking price. I've pretty much got my mind set on either the Rincon or Brute Force, now I cant decide which brand!!!!!:confused:

Which color do you like better? Kawasaki Green or Honda Red?:dizzy:

MikeKle
03-07-2010, 05:34 PM
Ive always heard those automatic ATVs use a CVT transmission which uses a belt, and they are not very good from what Ive heard. Although I think there is some that do not use the cvt, but not sure which ones. I like Polaris or Arctic Cat with a lift kit and huge tires.

POPO4995
03-07-2010, 05:35 PM
:) Haha, I hate red so neither! Not sure what colors I want yet!

POPO4995
03-07-2010, 06:02 PM
Ive always heard those automatic ATVs use a CVT transmission which uses a belt, and they are not very good from what Ive heard. Although I think there is some that do not use the cvt, but not sure which ones. I like Polaris or Arctic Cat with a lift kit and huge tires.

The Kawasaki has the CVT Trans with the belt. The Honda uses a shaft driven 3 speed full auto trans.

cgaengineer
03-07-2010, 07:42 PM
If you plan on pulling a trailer get a solid axle. I have a Suzuki Vinson 500 4x4 and its a great quad. My Zuki is 5 speed Auto, water cooled, 4x4, hi/lo range, handlebar headlight plus 2 other headlights, break lights, pre-wired for winch front and rear...tons and tons of power. Though they no longer make the Vinson I am sure Zuki has something that takes its place.

If you plan to ride trails a solid axle will be more fun since there is less body roll....also when pulling a trailer the rear end will not sag. I have yet to go any place where fully independent suspension would have made a difference. People say they have more ground clearance...but the axles still have to enter the center of the wheel at some point...so yes more center ground clearance. Less maintenance with a solid axle as well.

Just make sure whatever you get it has disk brakes in the front or a sealed drum for the rear.

Oh, and make sure its not full time 4x4...they suck no matter the brand.

a_mow_zing
03-07-2010, 07:45 PM
If you are going to do a lot of trail riding, I would stay away from a solid axle and go with indep. suspension, rides a lot better in my opinion.

cgaengineer
03-07-2010, 08:18 PM
If you are going to do a lot of trail riding, I would stay away from a solid axle and go with indep. suspension, rides a lot better in my opinion.

They are more comfortable...but not more fun.

ATVracer
03-07-2010, 08:41 PM
You can't ever go wrong with a Honda.

cgaengineer
03-07-2010, 08:47 PM
You can't ever go wrong with a Honda.

They last forever...I have a Recon...its bulletproof!
Posted via Mobile Device

POPO4995
03-08-2010, 01:02 PM
Think im going to go with 2 2010 Honda Rincons.:dancing:

DoetschOutdoor
03-08-2010, 01:35 PM
Think im going to go with 2 2010 Honda Rincons.:dancing:

Come on Popo, its soo boring going with 2 hondas....get one honda and the kawi. Then you have best of both worlds.

piediddy
03-08-2010, 06:07 PM
I'm a Honda guy, but you can't go wrong with Kawasaki, Yamaha or Suzuki either. Tell the sales person to let you ride it in the parking lot and go with what feels rite to you. I'm not a fan of the belt driven bikes. Whatever you do don't buy a Polaris.

mike lane lawn care
03-08-2010, 07:12 PM
I have a 2005 Arctic Cat and I love it. it's one of the smaller full sized ones. it's a 300 4x4, but it has 3 ranges, high/low/super low, and 5 gears in each range with a clutch-less manual transmission, tons and tons of power, and it'll go for days on a tank of fuel

lsu03
03-08-2010, 07:26 PM
my dad has a honda rancher 4x4 and runs it everyday for probably 2 hours....never do ANYTHING to it...even sunk it in a ditch onetime....most reliable bikes ever

POPO4995
03-08-2010, 07:59 PM
I drove both and the Honda just seems like the best buy. And I want 2 of the same thing so guess it'll be the Rincons. I cant wait to ride the trails this summer!:waving:

cgaengineer
03-08-2010, 08:33 PM
A Rincon is a good choice...
Posted via Mobile Device

FinerCutslawnCare
01-17-2012, 12:35 AM
rincons are tough as hell. My rich friends buy them and put them through and I mean complete 100% hell. They still hold up. I have always driven yamaha. Next purchase will be a rincon for sure no ifs ands or buts.