PDA

View Full Version : aerate again for spring overseeding?

1999frontier
03-07-2010, 01:00 PM
I overseeded my front yard with tall fescue and I'm wanting to put tall fescue in my backyard. I talked to the Scotts rep in Lowe's yesterday and he told me to put Scotts turf builder (yellow bag). My questtion is do I need to aerate the front again when I overseed or just put seed on ground. Will it damage what I put out in Sept.?

White Gardens
03-08-2010, 01:47 AM
I overseeded my front yard with tall fescue and I'm wanting to put tall fescue in my backyard. I talked to the Scotts rep in Lowe's yesterday and he told me to put Scotts turf builder (yellow bag). My questtion is do I need to aerate the front again when I overseed or just put seed on ground. Will it damage what I put out in Sept.?

You can aerate if you want to and you will get better results if you seed after aerating, but it isn't necessary.

You might do some damage to what you seeded last fall, but unless it was a complete renovation and you started from scratch then you'll be OK. If it was a young stand of grass as a whole then I would skip the aerating until next fall.

lukemelo216
03-09-2010, 11:21 AM
if you do fertilizer and weed control on your lawn your either going to need to wait to seed until the fall or not put down weed control in the spring becasue it will kill your seed. Just an FYI