PDA

View Full Version : Look what I found after the snow melted

Turf Manager
03-07-2010, 06:45 PM
Any ideas what this is ? We had over 2' of snow on the ground for a month or so looks like a slime or something, it sounds crisp when walking on it, pretty sure it's dead but still not warm enough for grass to grow yet.

4 seasons lawn&land
03-07-2010, 06:53 PM
looks like "hay". Alot of clippings were left just before it got cold?

Surfdunn
03-07-2010, 06:53 PM
looks like snow mold

Turf Manager
03-07-2010, 07:36 PM
No clipping left after mowing this is Lescos Team Mates which is 80% turf type fuscue and 20% turf type rye. I think snow mold also just looking other ideas. Thanks

TJ LAWN
03-07-2010, 07:39 PM
That is Snow Mold.....Rake those matted areas to get some air flow...It will most likely recover...You might want to look into a fungicide labeled for gray snow mold...If it does not recover you will have to reseed those areas...

rm25x
03-07-2010, 07:43 PM
wow learn something new everyday.

lawnproslawncare
03-07-2010, 08:31 PM
Perfect example of Gray Snow Mold. It will most likely return to normal once the ground is warm enough to allow grass to grow. As soon as the ground is firm enough, dethatch the entire lawn to prevent smothering.
You'll have healthy grass before you know it.

I should note that some grass types are affected worse than others so you might have some winter kill. Don't worry, it will be localized and won't spread to any other area's of your lawn.

quackgrass
03-09-2010, 04:04 PM
Ya it comes out pretty well depending on the weather, severity has alot to do with how long the snow cover lasted and cultivar of grass.

Fungicides are not typically needed or recommended for curative on residential. If an area is struggling to recover after raking, then topdress it with a thin layer (1/16 - 1/8th) of good compost after seeding. There is evidence that some compost helps prevent gray snow mold also.