PDA

View Full Version : Hustler's new WB???

Doc Pete
06-13-2002, 10:35 PM
Well guy's, yesterday I finished removing the original 17 horse Kaw from my 54 Hustler WB, and put in a new 23 horse Kaw. I took a day off from my full time job, and spend the day installing it. Yes, it took some rewiring of the machine from a pull start to electric start. Also, very minor work was needed for the exhaust to fit, but basically, it dropped right in. FWIW, the effort is worth it. The cut is better, which also translates into better striping. This is because until you drive the 23 Kaw, you don't notice just how much the 17 slows under any load, and lowers the speed of the blades .Also, the machine is much smoother since the engine never seems to change rpm, regardless of how I beat on it.
Now, this conversion lets the Hustler WB cut at 8 mph (only with the tire/rim change noted earlier), and run double blades for a super cut. Furthermore, since Hustler now realizes the 23 is basically a drop in fit, I'll bet it's only a matter of time until they offer this monster for everyone. After all, many other manufacturer's already offer 20 horsepower on the 52" hydro's, so 23 horsepower on the 54" sounds just right.
Anyone wanting pictures and more info on the complete installation can e-mail me. Naturally, any changes made to your machine are strictly at your own risk.
Pete