PDA

View Full Version : Subbing tree work

maxwilbryan
03-08-2010, 08:04 PM
Is it pretty normal to sub this work out? If the company has insurance and is very reliable is there any reason not to make a little proffit since I am finding and selling the job? I've typically givin my customers the guy's number instead of bidding it myself. Just curious what thoughts were on this.
Posted via Mobile Device

evanbrendel
03-08-2010, 08:21 PM
i do tree work as my main buisness and i do sub work for people its only me and 2 other ground guys so i make good money at it and i dont mind doing sub work at all for people,they deserve a finders fee especialy if it is one of there customers, but you have to watch that they dont try to take your landscaping work. i have freinds in landscaping that get me tree work all the time and "contract" it out to me because they trust me not to try and take there work

maxwilbryan
03-08-2010, 08:33 PM
Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

godzilla
03-08-2010, 09:20 PM
My main business is tree care and removal. I like getting jobs through different people, but the most important part is that I get paid. One descent sized landscaper used to get me some jobs, and I'd get them done pretty quickly, but then they tried to cheap out on some of my jobs, and didn't like to pay me right away... so needless to say that fell apart. I was getting them quite a few jobs on my own too... so greed can be very bad sometimes. Also, when you look at these jobs to bid on, are you sure you're gonna be able to bid them properly? I've gone on some jobs before where they were bid FAR too low, and if I wasn't such a nice guy, the contractor would have had to pull at least a few hundred bucks out of their own pocket, after being paid by the client. Then again I've been on some jobs where the contractor overpriced the job by quite a bit, and then somebody loses.

evanbrendel
03-08-2010, 09:36 PM
thats a very good tip!! im not that good of freinds with any of them to help them out that much.

godzilla
03-08-2010, 09:43 PM
Now the other problem is of course, if you don't know how to bid a job... I've got guys who will call me up... so and so needs this tree down. Alright, we meet up, I am shown the job, give the LCO my price, never hear back because they're not a tree company, and now it's an LCO bidding a tree job against a bunch of tree companies. Too much of a middle man. Also had somebody a year or so ago, brought me to the site, "what do you think needs to be done?" they told me how to write it up, I did so... somehow got the job, but because they wanted everything written up just so, the price was HIGH. I'll never get another job from that client.

AzLawnMan
03-08-2010, 09:52 PM
I run a basic tree crew, basic trimming and small easy take downs. We can usually handle about 40 tree trimming a day. I have several properties that require very fast and super clean jobs when we schedule their trees. I have a very good friend who I call for big take downs and jobs of about 50 trees or more. I show him the job and he says "I would charge $1k if it was me, so you charge $1k and pay me $650" I make a good profit for doing nothing and he makes side cash off of me, I will always pay him first though even before I get paid. As soon as he's done I give him cash, and I get to wait 30 days for payment, name of the game. It also helps that he personal make $500k a year so a few thousand doesnt matter so much to him. I would say to find a reliable tree guy and let him know the deal, but meet him and ask him for the bid and then you mark it up. Whenever I sub work out, depending on what it is and if my sub-contractor knows the deal, I can usually make as much as them or at least 75% mark-up for not doing a thing. But like I always tell them, I am gonna deal with the customer if anything goes wrong, I am the one thats gotta wait for my money, I will pay you right now, you will leave with cash in hand.

evanbrendel
03-08-2010, 10:06 PM
man 40 trees a day!!! thats crazy but it seems like people only call me for big trees or hard take downs. also think about liability issues if you sub work out. sometimes its worth it others its not. you would need a contract with the sub.

greendoctor
03-09-2010, 12:04 AM
I sub out tree trimming.

1. I am not a certified arborist
2. Don't have a cherry picker
3. Don't have a chipper/shredder and the dump box truck to take out the trash
4. My liability policy does not cover tree work.

Likewise, there are tree trimmers that use me for fertilizations and applications on their jobs. Because they are not licensed and equipped to do the work.