PDA

View Full Version : Hints on how to start landscaping

bikerboy
06-14-2002, 02:12 AM
i am a senoir in high school and started a lawn care service when i was a freshmen. i like doing this so much that i think landscaping is the way to go. what do i need to study in college. also, how to i go about starting a business(buying equipment, getting customers...so on). any helpful hints or any thing close to being helpful, thanks alot.

AGLA
06-14-2002, 07:14 AM
Take business courses in school and work for a successful business that you want to model yours after. When you have enough experience you can start your own.
...or start your own now and learn as you go, but from whom? You will learn more "what to do" working for someone else vs. "what not to do" working for yourself without experience.
Just my opinion.

RwADesigner
06-15-2002, 12:46 AM
Business courses are great....need to definately get them..

I have a degree in Landscape architecture....because i was in the same boat you were..i loved wut i was doing......if you want to design....or design and install....then Landscape Architecture is the thing for you......

check the ASLA webpage

lata

rwa

robert payer
06-15-2002, 08:20 AM
Bikerboy,

AGLA's advice stands on solid ground. Learn and make mistakes under the management and mentorship of a time proven professional. Hand pick this mentor very carefully. Look for a company who is involved in maintenance, irrigation, fertilization and construction.

Experince is a hard teacher, it will gives the test before it teaches the lesson!

Sure that you will make some good decisions in the near future!

Have at it! The industry is waiting!

DePauLandscaping
06-15-2002, 12:21 PM
Hey, I've had my business for a little over 3 years now and have learned many things in that time. #1. When getting customers make a cheap sign that will just get the point across.
#2. Treat customers with respect and do good deeds here and there.
#3. Don't kill yourself using a walk-behind , buy a rider. :dizzy:
Some good names--- Exmark, Gravely, Hustler and Bobcat.
I wish you luck!
Chris

prairie
06-16-2002, 08:52 PM
Great sound advise here. I would make sure to take business and hort. classes to give you a heads up.

Hey bikerboy. where you at in Kansas?
I'm looking to take on somemore crew for mowing and landscape.

I'm new in the mowing market, but have been landscaping and putting in sprinklers for a long time.