PDA

View Full Version : Sand site, to grass?

RollingZimmer
03-09-2010, 11:51 AM
A customer of mine has an area where an above ground pool used to be. The pool was removed and now the layer of sand is still present. What is the easiest way to grow grass there again? I wanted to remove some of the sand and put a good six inches of soil down but she wants a cheap price. I know that grass roots need about six inches of soil to grow.

Anyone got any ideas? I even offered to take the sand away for free earlier in the year and that didnt make her budge. I was using about 5 yards of composted loam I believe. Im going to re messure this week.

ICT Bill
03-09-2010, 12:40 PM
Incorporate compost at 1 to 2 yards per 1000 sq ft, use a rototiller, forget top soil and go with compost, if its leaf compost it may be a bit aciditic you may want to use some lime as well at the same time

Turf seeds love compost

RollingZimmer
03-09-2010, 01:25 PM
So just mix the compost in with the sand? Its straight pool sand.

Its also in the sun for a good part of the day. Think that will have any affect?

TJ LAWN
03-09-2010, 04:12 PM
So just mix the compost in with the sand? Its straight pool sand.

Its also in the sun for a good part of the day. Think that will have any affect?

What you might want to do is...Get rid of some of that sand then mix in compost or topsoil.....What you will find if you leave all that sand is... That area will dry out alot quicker than the rest of the lawn...You will have a Hot spot where that pool was...unless the homeowner wants to water that area more than the rest of the lawn..I would lose some of that sand...Just my opinion....

RollingZimmer
03-09-2010, 07:20 PM
lose some sand, mix with compost and water heavily till it establishes?

i might do this project next week if i can come up with a deal for each of us. I believe the site was 90x30? I measured it months ago though

Darryl G
03-09-2010, 07:27 PM
Make sure you don't guarantee anything if they won't let you do it right. Chances are it will come up just fine and then wither and die in the heat of the summer. Should look green long enough to get paid, lol.

RigglePLC
03-09-2010, 08:24 PM
Grass will grow in sand, it has to at my house, LOL! But don't guarantee anything if they don't let you do it proper. Sand is droughty--it may require more frequent sprinkling. Sand has poor fertility and low CEC: it does not hold nutrients well. Potash is lost quickly after a few good rains. I have lawns that are doing Ok on homes with a CEC of 6.4. Five or below is considered "very low". Above is 12 preferable. Extra high levels of slow release fert would be helpful. If you can apply potash frequently, that would help as would a slow release potash.

Darryl G
03-09-2010, 08:54 PM
Grass will grow in sand, it has to at my house, LOL! But don't guarantee anything if they don't let you do it proper. Sand is droughty--it may require more frequent sprinkling. Sand has poor fertility and low CEC: it does not hold nutrients well. Potash is lost quickly after a few good rains. I have lawns that are doing Ok on homes with a CEC of 6.4. Five or below is considered "very low". Above is 12 preferable. Extra high levels of slow release fert would be helpful. If you can apply potash frequently, that would help as would a slow release potash.

Potash...is that legally derived?

RollingZimmer
03-10-2010, 12:39 PM
The site is 32 x 18. It has roughly a 1-2 inch layer of sand on top. Im thinking two yards compost to help even the site out since it dips in a little bit then rototilling it all in together. Also, there is some gravel on top.

Rototill the gravel in and then rake the top clean of stones?

RigglePLC
03-10-2010, 03:33 PM
Sure--nothing synthetic, Darryl--either animial, vegetable or mineral.