PDA

View Full Version : Hardscaping

kylecal91
03-09-2010, 01:53 PM
Hey guys been on here for a while now and seems like the majority of guys I talk to that do hardscape didn't get any education to do it. I'm going into my second full time year and want to get into some more hardscape when I feel more comfortable with doing it. I don't want to offer a service I can't provide without a proper knowledge and some experience with doing if first. Just wanted some advice on how you guys got started and what you would recommend, I know a lot of guys recommend books, I went to the library and got all the books they had on landscaping and it seemed like most of those books would not help me with what I'm looking for. Thanks.

Assuredlandscape
03-09-2010, 04:31 PM
The best way to learn is do a small project at your home. or you could even find some1 that you know does hardscaping and maybe take a day or 2 and go work with that person so that you can get a feel for it. Start out small tho maybe a lawn installion job, or a small retaining wall that requires little cuts and has very lil turns and degrees to deal with. the only way really to learn is handes on when it comes to hardscapes remember practice makes perfect! goodluck.

kylecal91
03-09-2010, 04:48 PM
Hey thanks a lot my parents want me to put a sidewalk in this spring so that will really help me out, plus I have a friend who does that work and he could probably show me how.

Swampy
03-09-2010, 04:48 PM
Here is a good book that I picked up. Its more of the masonary and natural stone look but it was a good read.
http://www.amazon.com/Stonework-Techniques-Projects-Charles-McRaven/dp/0882669761/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1268171098&sr=1-1#noop

I've taken actual classes in Hardscape for my degree, but most tech schools will offer a work shop. At MATC they usually offer them as a 6day workshop in summer.

StoneFaced
03-09-2010, 05:27 PM
I think you need to maybe think more about what defines an education. True, there are many in the trade who have little or no classroom time or a piece of paper to hang on the wall that says...?... which doesn't necessarily mean they are not educated. On the other hand, yes there are plenty in existence who will try and wing anything, more now than ever. Hardscapes...at what level? Whatever it is that you want to pursue, you still need to put your time in and get your hands dirty...a lot. I wouldn't know where to start, to explain to someone the best way for them. My way was a bit unorthodox, as to how I developed myself, and how I continue to develop. I've been at it now for about 26 years, which doesn't include the years I worked as a lacki, doing remodeling and odd jobs as a kid, started doing at age 8. Twenty six years of commitment, to doing what I do now. Often times, I've been asked..."how did you get that job". The answer is, ask the people that referred me.