PDA

View Full Version : Some help with pricing??

gman75
03-09-2010, 09:36 PM
concrete driveway sealing: how would you go about charging for a job?
mulch spreading (customer purchases it and i spread it): how to charge?
weed trimming: how much do you charge and is there a formula?
spring cleanouts of flower beds?
leaf removal: 99% of the time, i bag with the mower. it's still more labor i want to know how much extra to charge on top of regular price of mowing.

JB1
03-09-2010, 09:39 PM
leaf removal: 99% of the time, i bag with the mower. it's still more labor i want to know how much extra to charge on top of regular price of mowing.

do you got any ideas on how to charge for anything.

gman75
03-09-2010, 09:45 PM
yes i do HAVE ideas on how to charge for a lot of things. i'm looking for input, ideas, and suggestions that will better my service.

HappyDaysLawnCare
03-12-2010, 03:23 PM
I don't have a formula, but for weeding I normally charge $15 per hour. Not sure how thick your weeds get up there, but with the humidity we get here, some charge $15-20per hour. As far as the mulch goes, when some of my "lady customers", get a "deal" on mulch, I usually charge $2-2.5 per bag.

Good thing they have this site, huh GMan? I like posting questions, to get ideas and suggestions from other companies that give you a different perspective! Sorry I couldn't help with your other avenues. Have a great day!

Stevegotcrabgrass
03-12-2010, 05:22 PM
Weeding Like $200 an hour
Clean up like $5 a minute
Driveway sealing like $50
Mulching like $500.

Jk. Who knows man....it's all relative.

gman75
03-12-2010, 07:24 PM
thanks guys

SMC
03-26-2010, 12:39 AM
If you're good at what you do, charge a lot. If your not, don't charge too much.

mike174
03-26-2010, 10:07 PM

Not much help...but the truth. It depends on your market & the economy in your market. I might get $85/yd for mulch but in your market EVERYONE else is doing it for $60/yd. You take my advice and you will lose every estimate. Know your market...have friends and family call competitors if needed (yes, it's shady, but who hasn't done this before:rolleyes:)

Noticed that you mentioned the customer purchasing the mulch: charge an hourly rate to install.

RLS24
03-26-2010, 10:33 PM
gotta figure out what u need to charge to make money. Figure out what it costs you to run your business per hour and then obviously u have to make a profit so go from there. Pretty much anything I do landscape related I charge $40-50 per man hour. mowing I kinda go off that same principal, but sometimes I go with a little high price since theres a lot more equipment and fuel usage there so my overhead is a little higher in that respect. My minimum for mowing is $20. I won't drop the gate on the trailer for less than $20 I don't care how small the lawn is. Hedge trimming is minimum 1 hour at $50/hr even though A lot of times I'm done in less than an hour. Obviously these are my number I use to calculate my rate, I dont share this info with customers because there will be some that would be out there with a stopwatch. I look at a job, figure how long it will take how many guys and determine my labor cost, then figure what I'll need for materials, then the customer gets charged a flat rate with those 2 figures. If I price the job at 5 hours and it only takes 4 hours, great. If it takes 6, well then I guess I under-priced it. Being good and accurate at estimating takes time and experience. You're gonna get burned. Happens to all of us. I'm not perfect at it either. Also, don't bid a job low just to do it. Come up with your price, give it to the customer. if they don't like it, walk away. Sounds hard but to make money in this business, you have to do that sometimes. If you get every job you bid on you're doing something wrong. If you dont get any jobs you bid on, you're also doing something wrong. Gotta find that happy medium.

SMC
03-26-2010, 11:32 PM
The best way to increase your hourly profit margin is to find a niche that fewer people can do. Just about anyone can mow lawns or spread mulch, so your not going to command a high profit margin. If you can get licensed to use fertilizers or pesticides, fewer competitors can enter your market and you can get more per hour.
In our area we have a very bad deer problem. We spent years developing a deer repellent service and made it better than anyone else. Now we protect thousands of properties and billions of plants each year from winter deer browse damage. We are a small operation but we can gross a large amount of money in a three month window. Our customers see a huge value in what we provide and are happy to pay us to do it.

Grass887
03-27-2010, 06:35 PM
concrete driveway sealing: I would call a driveway sealer.
mulch spreading: $38/yard
weed trimming: $45/hr
spring cleanouts of flower beds? $45/hr (per guy)
leaf removal: Mow em till they're dust. $50/hr