PDA

View Full Version : How much to charge for dethatching

mowerdude777
03-09-2010, 09:35 PM
Ok I have never offered lawn renovation services but I am intreasted in offering dethatching this year to make some extra cash. I just have no clue on how much I should be charging for this service. Most yards around here are about .25 of an acre to .75 of an acre. I think I will buy a used de thatcher or get a front mount one for my mower. If anyone has any advice for pricing I would like to hear it. Thanks:waving:

shawnlawn
03-09-2010, 10:36 PM
I charge $12.00 per 1000 SQFT.

deanslawnservice09
03-13-2010, 01:59 PM
for an average lawn, I include dethatching in the price of the spring clean-up, which is about $300 for the average half acre spring clean-up

mowerdude777
03-13-2010, 02:02 PM
Also has anyone ever had trouble with underground wires such as dog fences, because A friend of my sisters had there yard thatched last year and the opperator of the drthatcher broke there dog fence, was it a freak acciednt of it this common.

deanslawnservice09
03-13-2010, 02:53 PM
a lot more common with a dethatcher machine, stick with the mower mount ones

mowerdude777
03-13-2010, 02:57 PM
a lot more common with a dethatcher machine, stick with the mower mount ones

I think I will get a mower mount one but I found a good deal on a machiene one so idk,

Exact Rototilling
03-13-2010, 11:52 PM
Those front mower mount spring tine rakes are not what I would call dethatching. More like passive raking. I run a Bluebird seeder and I have the over seeder delta bar, flail blade bar and the spring tine bar. Even running the spring tine bar does a vastly superior job of raking a lawn over the those front mower mount ones? It does an outstanding job of raking out all the loose junk out of the lawn. The lawn does perk up frankly as long as you don't grind down into the crown of the turf. And if done correctly the grass does in fact pop very well. Largely cosmetic yes.... but the grass does pop when done correctly. There is a fine line of "hey take out more brown stuff which always results in scorched injured lawns". The other extreme is hey you didn't take out enough...what am I paying you for? This will not be a problem with those front mount rakes. You will not damage the crowns of the grass much with those front mount mower rakes. Spring tine bar on a Bluebird Husky power rake yes... you can and will injure the lawn if it is set to deep.

A true dethatch is using flail blades and actual turf grinding down into the crown of the grass. This very labor intensive and there is tons of haul off. The need of how deep to turf grind can be determined by pulling some aeration plugs to determine the true thatch layer. Some areas will be worse. I have made some good coin power raking and dethatching last two years but I'm pushing aerations as the better value. I'm also pushing quasi organic bridge fertilizer that is high in organic matter to naturally reduce thatch. Sure cost is more but what is best for the lawn?

Many of my aeration power rake customer use the big companies to apply fert...because they threaten to cancel and can get them to apply high nitrogen product for less than they can apply it themselves. All of them have thatch layer problem when I pull plugs. But they say hey the lawn looks great using XYZ Co. high Nitrogen number fert program. Ok have it your way I think ...I'm happy to aerate twice a year for you..see this plug your lawn needs twice a year ...see this plug...? :hammerhead:

To answer your original question...? Tough call...it is somewhat difficult to estimate how much haul off there will be. But if you are only using a front mount rake then there will not be much compared to a true power rake or dethatch.

As for me I'm up selling aerations as the best value for their money this season and I'd rather spend that time I do power raking to get better lawn accounts for mowing.

lawnlandscape
03-23-2010, 06:28 PM
I charge $12.00 per 1000 SQFT.

So if a lawn is 3,000 sq feet you charge $36? I don't think so... lol

punt66
03-23-2010, 06:34 PM
So if a lawn is 3,000 sq feet you charge $36? I don't think so... lol

thats a 55' x 55' area. Thats not even 10 minutes worth of work for a z with a bagger and front mount tine. I am sure he has a min.

lawnlandscape
03-23-2010, 07:13 PM
your not going to get a rider in most lawns that are that small..

& tines dont really dethatch how people would like.

punt66
03-23-2010, 07:29 PM
your not going to get a rider in most lawns that are that small..

& tines dont really dethatch how people would like.

my z goes on all size lawns. Even if you walk it with a dethatcher the mower can suck it all up in little time.