PDA

View Full Version : bush removal price help, picture

turf&snow98
03-09-2010, 10:21 PM
Give me a guesstimate what you would charge to remove these 7 bushes, i can not take and peice of eqiupment in to the grass that may leave marks, so no truck, no skidsteer. There is 7 of them with a max trunk width of about 3 inches, he doesn't want the stumps ground but wants them taken down as flat as possible, and dispose of everything. Im doing some price checking this year. 180133

ALC-GregH
03-09-2010, 10:31 PM
$10 a bush. :)

Darryl G
03-09-2010, 10:32 PM
Seems pretty easy with leaving the stumps there. Personally I'd recommend pulling them because it's gonna be hard to plant anything else with the stumps and roots still there..but if all he wants is them cut down and hauled....if it's nearby and all I'd probably come in around $300 with hauling and disposal. Should all fit in my dump trailer in one load and only costs me $10 for disposal. I'd budget 4 hours including mob/demob from the shop.

luis@NJ
03-09-2010, 10:32 PM
You have to look at a couple of things:
1st will u pay to dump it or can u get rid of it for free.
2nd how long will it take to you by yourself or with a helper plus helpers cost
3rd how many trips? fuel cost to you?
4th will u need a chain for your saw/tool cost

just some guidelines so you get your price down hope that helps bud.

Darryl G
03-09-2010, 10:33 PM
$10 a bush. :)

And then I'd get the job and subcontract Greg to do it, lol.

JB1
03-09-2010, 10:33 PM
truck, long chain and yank them.

ALC-GregH
03-09-2010, 10:36 PM
truck, long chain and yank them.

You'll be doing burnouts in the driveway.

JB1
03-09-2010, 10:38 PM

thats why you have a long chain, stay on drive way back up till lot of slack and nail it.

sunray
03-09-2010, 10:43 PM
one hundred a bush, with no excuses for the price.
That's a lot of material your removing.

turf&snow98
03-09-2010, 10:54 PM
Around 300 is what i was thinking, getting rid of them isn't a problem i have a dump bed and around here i only pay 5.00 per load, its probably 2 loads. I was thinking chain from the drive+street, but my chain is only 25ft long so i would have to get another one, i dunno, i just don't want to have to do it by hand.... ugggg..... that big plate glass window behind them makes me nervous with that much chain. Thanks for the input.

wes230
03-09-2010, 10:55 PM

Helicopter

Darryl G
03-09-2010, 10:57 PM
He said the stumps are staying. I figured use loppers to make enough room to get in there with a chain saw, cut them off, stuff in trailer and off I go.

unkownfl
03-09-2010, 11:00 PM
Here I could hand dig them up in about an hour so I would charge like 200 bucks. Might want to rethink the truck and chain idea could get expensive ripping up utilities or walkways.

Darryl G
03-09-2010, 11:00 PM
Around 300 is what i was thinking, getting rid of them isn't a problem i have a dump bed and around here i only pay 5.00 per load, its probably 2 loads. I was thinking chain from the drive+street, but my chain is only 25ft long so i would have to get another one, i dunno, i just don't want to have to do it by hand.... ugggg..... that big plate glass window behind them makes me nervous with that much chain. Thanks for the input.

I thought you were just flush cutting the stumps?

turf&snow98
03-09-2010, 11:01 PM
He said the stumps are staying. I figured use loppers to make enough room to get in there with a chain saw, cut them off, stuff in trailer and off I go.Thats kinda what i was thinking, i can bust them up a little with an axe after i saw them off to get them below the mulch line, im not sure what else to do.

turf&snow98
03-09-2010, 11:05 PM
I thought you were just flush cutting the stumps?yes, just flush cutting them, just as long as they are low enough so he can smear some mulch over them, no deeper.

MikeKle
03-09-2010, 11:10 PM
Yeah., about $100 per bush is good, You have to remember to add all the work involved into the price, not just taking the bushes down. Usually I cut them down as far as I can to the ground without digging my chainsaw thru the dirt, and shovel dirt or mulch over the remaining stumps, this will look better and speed up the rotting process. plus you wont have to use a stump grinder! Also you better hope there are no bagworms in there!! Those things are disgusting and will be everywhere. I end up doing about 10 jobs just like this every year, but I kinda like these jobs, I try to see how fast I can get them done and always try to beat my highest per hour to date. So far my best was from a job that paid $700. and I got it done by myself in 5.5 hours!!! Good luck

sunray
03-09-2010, 11:11 PM
Thats kinda what i was thinking, i can bust them up a little with an axe after i saw them off to get them below the mulch line, im not sure what else to do.

I would trim the bottom branches, rack the mulch back and cut them off at the ground.
once you have them on the ground slice and dice with the saw and load on your trailer, rake up the mess and collect the balance of your money.

MikeKle
03-09-2010, 11:15 PM
Helicopter

Yeah, better yet, use a helicopter to rip them out!!! Oh, the charge will only be around $2500. per bush maam!! Or why not rent a CAT D-11 dozer to push them out, along with the whole house at the same time!!!

Darryl G
03-09-2010, 11:19 PM
I do a good amount of jobs like this too but it's usually Rhodies and Arbs planted 2 feet from the house. They look so cute when the homeowner puts them in as 2 gallon plants.

LouisianaLawnboy
03-09-2010, 11:22 PM
50.00 a bush since you don't have to remove the stumps(grinding or yanking them out), plus 100.00 for removal and disposal. So a grand total of 450.00.

I would wrap a chain around it and cut it down low, and then drag it with my ZTR to my trailer.

Hawg City Lawns
03-09-2010, 11:26 PM
i could go in there for $50 a bush and make some money

I MOW ALONE
03-10-2010, 12:39 AM
Here I could hand dig them up in about an hour so I would charge like 200 bucks. Might want to rethink the truck and chain idea could get expensive ripping up utilities or walkways.

i would love to see that in an hour.

Lawnut101
03-10-2010, 12:44 AM

That's ok, it's an asphault driveway:hammerhead:

Lawnut101
03-10-2010, 12:45 AM
50.00 a bush since you don't have to remove the stumps(grinding or yanking them out), plus 100.00 for removal and disposal. So a grand total of 450.00.

I would wrap a chain around it and cut it down low, and then drag it with my ZTR to my trailer.

I would probably be around that ball park.

tmf lawn care
03-10-2010, 03:02 AM
i would go like 125 a bush. that will cover all ur cost and more

topsites
03-10-2010, 03:20 AM
What's this got to do with Lawn Mowing?

Landscape & Maintenance (http://www.lawnsite.com/forumdisplay.php?f=237)

SuperiorService.110mb.com
03-10-2010, 03:22 AM
$300 is a fair price. I would just get on my knees and lift the lower branches and make my first cut to remove the bush then my final cut as low as posible. Drag the bush to your trailer and chop it up with your saw. Bring a few straps and when your loaded up strap it all down, you should get it all in one load. One guy should be in and out in an hour no problem and no mess to clean up before you leave. If you can't do each bush in less than 10 min your taking to many brakes. $5 to dump, what a deal!!!

billslawn89
03-10-2010, 06:20 AM
Yeah, better yet, use a helicopter to rip them out!!! Oh, the charge will only be around $2500. per bush maam!! Or why not rent a CAT D-11 dozer to push them out, along with the whole house at the same time!!!

:laugh: oh man...that is funny..got me laughing already this early morning! good one!

Richard Martin
03-10-2010, 06:40 AM
Wait in this place where the shadows run from themselves

You said no strings could secure you at the station.

Cream - White Room. You're gonna have to do better than that.

Richard Martin
03-10-2010, 06:47 AM
Oh yeah. $100 to $150. Cut them at the bottom and put them on the trailer. Then as you put each one on the trailer take the chain saw and cut them up. One trip, 5 miles to the free landfill. Done in 2 hours or less.

Darryl G
03-10-2010, 08:26 AM
OK, so we've got prices all the way from $100 to $825...825 percent difference between the high and low. No wonder there's so many "lowballer" threads here. I think this just goes to show the natural variability of bids from one contractor to another.

If I were the person evaluating the bids and awarding the job, I would notice that there's a group of pricing in the $300 to $450 range and pick whoever it was among them that I felt most comfortable with during the interview process. I would consider the $100 and $700/$825 bids out of touch with reality.

No offense Richard, but you have a low bid so much lower than the others, I would question whether you understood the scope of work and have the ability to execute it. I know that $100 would hardly cover my administrative time and expenses. You have to go out to the property twice...once for the bid and once to do the job, write up a short form contract, schedule the job, invoice it, get the check, enter it into your books, deposit it etc, along with some contact time with the client.

MDLawn
03-10-2010, 10:46 AM
I had a job and part of it was removing 2 large over grown shrubs like the ones in the picture (6ft tall, 5ft wide each). I thought yea they'll fit in my dump trailer no problem. After cutting them up boy was I wrong. It fit, with me jumping on all the cut up branches for 15 minutes. Maybe everyone else has bigger dumps as mine is on the small side (6x10) but that stuff takes up a lot of room quick. Just my opinion. Plus nothing is ever as easy as just chop em down, cut off all the limbs and toss em in the trailer. If you have a mini ex you can rip em out without breaking a sweat, just call before you dig so you don't pull up a gas line. Again just my experience with 2 shrubs not as many shown in the picture. When I did the landscaping at my own home I had to rip out 4-5 large overgrown taxus bushes. After cutting them apart they took up 55 linear feet, 3 feet high, and 3-4 feet deep along the curb for pickup (i was also removing the stumps for planting). NO WAY was that fitting in a dump trailer. Lots of airspace. Again I am no expert in removing old shrubs just had a few experiences that I have learned from. Plus if it is all by hand it takes a while. Plus dumping fees, travel time to a dump, all this stuff needs to be added up. A portable chipper would help in some instances but that is one more piece of equipment and maybe another truck that I cannot afford for a few jobs. Again just my opinions not rules set in stone.

JohnnyRocker
03-10-2010, 12:26 PM
You said no strings could secure you at the station.

Cream - White Room. You're gonna have to do better than that.

That cat's something I can't explain.

Richard Martin
03-10-2010, 03:04 PM
OK, so we've got prices all the way from $100 to $825...825 percent difference between the high and low. No wonder there's so many "lowballer" threads here. I think this just goes to show the natural variability of bids from one contractor to another.

No offense Richard, but you have a low bid so much lower than the others, I would question whether you understood the scope of work and have the ability to execute it. I know that $100 would hardly cover my administrative time and expenses. You have to go out to the property twice...once for the bid and once to do the job, write up a short form contract, schedule the job, invoice it, get the check, enter it into your books, deposit it etc, along with some contact time with the client.

Part of the reason you're having such a dispaity is because so many people are not reading the job discription. It does not include stump removal, grinding or anything like that. Cut them at ground level and haul them off. I suspect you'd see a whole lot of people here not get the job simply because they can't comprehend what they're reading and would wildy overbid the job. BTW, I bid it at 100 to $150.

I think you lack the ability to know who you're talking to.

Darryl G
03-10-2010, 03:18 PM
Good point relting to the job scope, and wasn't trying to bash you or anything.

In my experience, you typically don't want the low bidder on a job espeically if it's by a large margin. But on the other hand, it would be a pretty hard job to screw up. Either everything is gone or it's not..not like quality is much of an issue here.

Richard Martin
03-10-2010, 03:21 PM
And here's my expenses.

Pay neighbor to resharpen chain (if I hit the dirt) $5
Truck expense.. 20 miles total @ 52.5 cents a mile $ 10.50
Deposit expense $0.00 I put it in the with other low balling checks I get and my wife drops it off on her way home.
Chainsaw expense $0.00 I bought this Husky 36 commercial saw well over 10 years ago. It was expensed out many moons ago.
Paperwork and administrative. I pay myself $8 an hour when I do this. Total time to make everything up - 10 minutes max. I've done this before and use very basic software programs that you don't have to have a degree to use. One of them was free and the other one cost $100. 80 cents.

I don't think it would take me any more than 2 hours to do this job and maybe a half hour to get rid of the debris. I would pay a man $12 an hour to do this job. $30 total.

Total cost for this job... $46.30

sunray
03-10-2010, 10:19 PM
OK, I went back reread the job description and looked closely at the grass and the yard in the picture.
I stick with my 100.00 per bush price , because I've done enough of this to know what I can get in my area for this and it's rarely what it seems.
From the photos what I see is some guy who has not taken care of his yard in a long time if ever and all of a sudden he wants to put all kinds of stipulations on the guy coming to remove the overgrown landscaping.
So this tells me he's most likely going to run you throgh the mill before you get the money for the finished job.
I could be wrong , but I figure everything in , if I'm going to be doing the work,not my neighbor or a sub.
I don't get everthing I bid ,but I do get enough in my area and that's what really determines pricing, your area.
You can always find people who will work for nothing.

turf&snow98
03-11-2010, 02:21 PM
wow, i got alot more response from this post than i thought i would, thanks everyone for all the good info.

PerfectEarth
03-12-2010, 03:16 PM
I am by no means a cheap pricer....but you guys spitting out these 100$ per bush figures are insane! With no stump to remove, it would take NO time at all to do this rather simple job.

I'd allow 4-5 hours, and a dump fee of 30-40$....this job should be no more than 350$. It's not rocket science. I would kill for a job where you could leave stumps flush-cut.

Darryl G
03-12-2010, 03:36 PM
I am by no means a cheap pricer....but you guys spitting out these 100$ per bush figures are insane! With no stump to remove, it would take NO time at all to do this rather simple job.

I'd allow 4-5 hours, and a dump fee of 30-40$....this job should be no more than 350$. It's not rocket science. I would kill for a job where you could leave stumps flush-cut.

yah, well they were gonna rent a helicopter to do it, lol

sunray
03-12-2010, 08:49 PM

I agree it's not rocket science,but setting prices you have to take into consideration what it costs to run your buisness thoughout the year and show a profit after all is said and done.
I had a hard time pricing jobs when I first started my buisness, I had to understand I was not there to be their friend but to supply a service that they can not do and will gladly pay someone else to deal with the mess and all it entales.
I don't get all the jobs I bid, but when they hire me they get the job for the agreed upon price, no extra cost tacked on, if I bid it wrong it's on me, so my price always includes something for the surprises that happen so often.
Along with fully insured, lic and bonded with references, it all adds to the price,It's up to each owner to figure out what works for them and hope they can do it before they go under.\