PDA

View Full Version : Steiner w/ Power Box Rake

KNOWHOWELTD
06-14-2002, 09:48 PM
any one used one of these mothers? our power tool deal rents one, and we have some jobs they reccomended it to us on. its supposed to break up dirt balls, separate leaves and rocks, and then leave a prepared bed of dirt for seeding or sodding. the jobs we would use it on look like a bomb exploded in their front yard, and the dirt has hardened since WW1. i know steiner is good stuff, but i want to make sure this is the tool for the job, because rentals can be real tricky.:dizzy:

let me know if anyone knows anything

John DiMartino
06-15-2002, 10:50 PM
i have a steiner,but not the power box rake,the steiner is swesome,so i would think that it would work well,especially since the rental yard recommended it,they dont want you unhappy.I have 5 attachemnts,they all work real good and come on and off real easy.

KNOWHOWELTD
06-16-2002, 12:33 AM
how much did you pay for your steiner, and what attachments DO you have?

John DiMartino
06-16-2002, 12:24 PM
My Steiner is old,but new ones run about 12000 with a gas motor(20 onan,or 25 ohv Kohler),and a 60" deck.We paid 20K for ours in 89,we bought the 60" deck,the PB1 power blower,the front end loader,york rake,and dozer blade.I love ours,it get used hard every day,going on 13 yrs,and its still reliable,and tight.It has about 6000 hrs on it.We had the 20 onan,but i repowered it with the 24 onan,and just now the 25 kohler.I would buy another in a second.

bmh1202
06-16-2002, 12:37 PM
I have never used the box rake, but i'll second the accolades for the other attachnents. The place I used to work for had an old 420 model with dual wheels on all 4 wheels and the 72" deck. I used to mow some VERY steep hills with that thing, never any problems except the one wheel came off halfway up the hill. Cleaned my shorts and secured the wheel and kept mowing. We used the blade, loader and tiller about every day too. We had the snowblower too, but I didn't really care for it. Was fine for parking lots, but too big for most areas. Soory, no box rake experience though.

John DiMartino
06-16-2002, 09:43 PM
We have the dual wheels too,they are needed with the front end loader.Ours is a 420.

Cheese burger
06-16-2002, 11:29 PM
power box is made by, glen mac (maker of the harley rake). appears to be harley rake with steiner hitch system. Harley rake will certainly handle the type of terrain you are asking about. check steiner web site.

Dave

KNOWHOWELTD
06-17-2002, 12:52 AM
thanks for the info.

Cheese burger
06-17-2002, 08:32 PM
steinerturf.com

steveair
06-17-2002, 11:09 PM
Hello,

I don't own a steiner but a toro dingo, and they also make a harley rake for it which I have been investigating.

If you have never used one, I would NOT opt for the unit on the steiner. Try renting a complete unit, either a tractor or skid steer mounted version first.

For tractors, 35HP is about the least you want to run a 6 ft rake effectively. I've used the smaller 5 ft model on smaller mid 20 hp tractors before, and it works pretty good, but it really lacks the pulling power compared to the larger ones.

I mention this because I think you are really limiting yourself by running a unit off of your steiner. If you rent a full size skid steer or tractor with the rake, you will do more in a few hours than you would in a full day with the steiner.

Also, if you are thinking of it as a future purchase, get a price first........i got quoted $5500.00 for the 4 ft model to fit my dingo........I'd imagine the steiner version is a bit more as I believe they have to add a pto driven hydro to run the rake, whereas, the dingo can run it off of its existing hydraulics. For about the same price, you could get a 5 or 6ft model to mount on a bigger machine. That's a lot of money to invest on something that has limited 'practical' applications.

Unless you are in a very limited access application, I wouldn't even think about ther steiner mounted rake.......go rent the tractor or skid steer version first and you will get a good feel for how the equipment works.

Also, the smaller harley's don't have a power angle adjustment, or in other words you can't windrow materials to one side or the other. You have to push everything forward. Both tractors and skidsteers allow angling of the rake to help speed up production even more.

One more thing.....you may want to ask around and see if anyone does sub-work with a power rake. Around my parts, harley's are everywhere, and usually you can find someone to come in, do the job, and leave in the same amount of time you would spend renting, picking up, and returning the unit. I'm pretty good on a tractor, but am no where near as good as the guys who run the rakes day in and day out. There is a bit of a learning curve operating a harley rake effectively. You will get the hang of it eventually, but you could just make a phone call and have the work done in a few hours without ever stepping outside. Just my thoughts.

steve

John DiMartino
06-18-2002, 12:13 AM
Steve,good post.You have some very good points.I have used a 6 ft pto 3 ph harley rake with 33hp tractor ,and it was fine,but i wouldnt have wanted any less power,like you said,I certainly wouldnt buy a steiner just to put a harley rake on,buy since i own one,and its very easy to move from job to job,I can see it being good for small jobs.I do agree with you,in that the harley rake takes quite a while to get used to,and operate efficiently.

steveair
06-18-2002, 01:29 AM
John,

I'm in the same boat with my dingo as you with your steiner. We own them, so we might as well work them. The small harley seem to fit my applications well. I've been working/watching with some larger contractors in my area, and see them run there larger units on new lawn installs.......a lot of 'little places' they can't reach with the bigger rake. I'm looking into the idea of subbing out to them on bigger projects where they have a lot of labor working on those smaller areas. It looks like there's some potential to save them a good amount of time in labor by having a small unit on the job running aside their larger machine. I'm just trying to get over the 'shell shock' of the price for the unit and seeing if it really is feasible.

steve