PDA

View Full Version : Good drought-tolerant grass seed variety?

cscott711
03-10-2010, 04:24 PM
What are recommendations for cool season grass seed varieties that hold up well, or at least better, under drought or infrequent watering conditions?

These would be yards that don't have sprinkler systems, are in full sun to mostly sun and only see water maybe once or twice a week if lucky during the hottest part of the summer.

Will anything hold up or at least have a fighting chance under these conditions?

Location is in southwest Michigan.

turfcobob
03-10-2010, 05:23 PM
We have good luck with tall fescue here in Nebraska. Especially on the rural properties that do not water. It takes several overseedings to get it really established but once in the filled in it is one tough grass. I let mother nature do all my watering and I have a green lawn almost all of every year. Several got browned out with no rain for 4 to 6 weeks in mid / late summer. But even a little rain had me back to green.

RigglePLC
03-11-2010, 06:49 PM
Read about Scotts Heat tolerant blue grass (a Texas type). Confusing--they have also market "Heat Tolerant Blue" which is really a mixture of Texas bluegrass and a tall fescue blend. The bluegrass helps keep the turf thick because it creeps to fill-in, whereas tall fescue does not creep.

RigglePLC
03-11-2010, 09:06 PM
The link to Scotts Texas-type
http://www.woerner.com/pdfs/Scotts%20Thermal%20Blue.pdf