PDA

View Full Version : What plant is this, and what is wrong with it?

BrendonTW
03-10-2010, 09:33 PM
I realize this picture is a little far off, sorry. I think this thing needs to be pruned back a bit, as the leaves lower on the stems are green and full, and the ones further out are a bit dry and cracky. I could troubleshoot this myself if only I knew the name of the plant.

This plant is in the morning and early afternoon sun. And it has no shortage of water.

Darryl G
03-10-2010, 09:42 PM
Looks like a Rhododendron to me and looks like it's dying.

BrendonTW
03-10-2010, 09:43 PM
There are about 6 of these on this property in different locations. They all look like this. Is there anything I should do to help?

Darryl G
03-10-2010, 09:47 PM
Probably winter burn but a severe mildew infestation could make it look similar. The outer leaves are more suceptible to winter burn so that's probably it.

BrendonTW
03-10-2010, 09:50 PM
That's what I was wondering. So does it need to be pruned back, or is the plant actually dying?

Darryl G
03-10-2010, 10:17 PM
I was just kidding about it dying but it could be. It could be Phytophthora dieback that it has, usually winter burn is the mostly the edges from the leaves drying out. And since they curl up when they start to dry, the edges usually get it the worst. Dieback also affects the newer parts of the plant first. If it's dieback, the infected parts need to be cut off and it may need to be treated with a fungicide.

For winter burn, I wouldn't prune yet. The leaves are probably dead but the buds may have survived. Wait to mid spring and see if they start sending out new shoots. If not, then you can prune back to where the living growth is.

Turf Dawg
03-10-2010, 10:24 PM
Can I put in a vote for a Little Gem Magnolia. Do these get bid white flowers on them followed by a big seed pod?

BrendonTW
03-10-2010, 10:50 PM
Not sure. Haven't seen them in bloom.

jsf343
03-11-2010, 11:03 AM
Can I put in a vote for a Little Gem Magnolia. Do these get bid white flowers on them followed by a big seed pod?

mmmmm... yeah, it does look magnolliaish.I will go with that as well.

Darryl G
03-11-2010, 11:23 AM
Hmmm..didn't think of Magnolia because you generally don't see evergreen Magnolias here in the Northeast.

Here's a pic of my Rhodie right outside my window.

jsf343
03-11-2010, 01:30 PM
Hmmm..didn't think of Magnolia because you generally don't see evergreen Magnolias here in the Northeast.

Here's a pic of my Rhodie right outside my window.

you may be right, but the leaves don't look quite like rhodie. I have a mag in my back yard (not that varitity) and the stems look just like the ones in the pic, as well as the leaves.

Who knows, maybe it is a ragnolia, or maghodie.

Darryl G
03-11-2010, 01:41 PM
It's kind of hard to tell without seeing the shape of it. My first thought was actually a mountain laurel. Certainly could be a Magnolia though.

gunsnroses
03-11-2010, 01:51 PM
http://hort.ufl.edu/trees/MAGGRAE.pdf

magnolia for sure...look at the color of the underside of the leaf...the undesides are soft and have a very short fuzz. Most of Oklahoma is zone 7, just on the low end of hardiness for lil gem. That would also explain frost damage and or southwest exposure....if you had a late frost last spring, that could explain lack of flower or pods.

Lugnut
03-11-2010, 10:38 PM
I'm gonna have to vote for Rhodo based on that first picture. Some more details will certainly help.

Darryl G
03-11-2010, 10:41 PM
Now what about that disease guys? Do you think that winter kill or something else?

New2TheGreenIndustry
03-11-2010, 10:54 PM
Looks like a magnolia to me.

Turf Dawg
03-11-2010, 10:59 PM
If it is a Little Gem Magnolia [which I think it is] it could be some freeze damage on that one branch. These shed their leaves at random times and not all at once so if you see some leaves here and there that look bad I would not worry about those. I do think that I would go ahead and cut back the branch with all the brown leaves on it though. These also do not like wet feet, so if it is in poor draining soil with all the mosituere this winter that could be causing some damage also. On second thought, I would wait and see if it will shed these leaves and put some new ones on in a few weeks.

Southern Elegance
03-11-2010, 11:31 PM
little gem, cut dead out in mid spring

southerngreenscape
03-12-2010, 01:03 PM
could it be cleyera it kind of looks like it

southerngreenscape
03-12-2010, 01:05 PM
Here's a pic of cleyera

mike174
03-13-2010, 01:16 AM
It's kind of hard to tell without seeing the shape of it. My first thought was actually a mountain laurel. Certainly could be a Magnolia though.

Being from the Northeast, I was thinking mountain laurel at first sight too...but I don't think that's possible in KS (poster's location). Probably Rhododendron or Magnolia. The leaves are similar (rhododendron, mountain laurel & magnolia), but the flowers will all be very different.

mike174
03-13-2010, 01:31 AM
Being from the Northeast, I was thinking mountain laurel at first sight too...but I don't think that's possible in KS (poster's location). Probably Rhododendron or Magnolia. The leaves are similar (rhododendron, mountain laurel & magnolia), but the flowers will all be very different.

I meant Oklahoma City

Think Green
03-13-2010, 05:52 PM
Being in Oklahoma City as other areas of Tulsa and our areas of the Northeastern area of Arkansas, we all have had a pretty non-forgiving winter this season. There is tons of winter foliage burn and wind damage to keep a nursery busy this spring. We are preparing to fertilize our shrubbery on all accounts to help the plants overcome the winter leaf burn. As new foliage grows, the dead material should fall off and will need to be discarded.
If that plant is a Rhodie..........which seems to me, it may have older summer damage of taphrina leaf spot or septaria leaf spot similar to the rose spot disease. If this plant should bloom in the spring, then prune out the dead matter after it blooms. Folar spray with Propiconazole, Chlorthalonil or Paclobutrazol! I hope I spelled the last name correctly as I am typing from memory and not from a textbook.