PDA

View Full Version : First LED Lighting Job

JimLewis
03-10-2010, 10:37 PM
So I have been a pretty dedicated Unique Lighting guy. Sometimes FX Luminaire. Never been really sold on the LED lighting until recently. But a landscape contractor friend of mine in San Diego really raves about Kichler LED lighting and one of my suppliers has been bugging me to try it for a year or so too. So I finally took the plunge. Just finished our first LED install today using the Kichler LED light fixtures.

I gotta say, I am pretty impressed with the light output and the way the light looks! If someone hadn't told me, I don't think I would have noticed that it was LED. It looks just a nice soft light to me. The light climbs up the trees like it's supposed to. The pathway lights light up for quite a ways out. I am liking this!

Of course the best thing is the lower cost of installation (only a very small transformer is needed) and the fact that I can daisy-chain the light fixtures means installation labor is way down too.

I wish I had some photos for you guys. But I don't today. The entire landscape job doesn't end until tomorrow night or Friday morning. And I'll try to get some decent photos at dusk. But experience shows I am pretty bad at taking outdoor lighting photos. So I can't guarantee the photos will do the job justice.

Anyway, I am pretty impressed. This guy might be switching teams from here on out.

S&MLL
03-10-2010, 11:53 PM
Which pathlight did you use?

NightScenes
03-11-2010, 10:53 AM
I've been installing the Kichler LED products for over a year now with GREAT success. Good luck and continued success to you.

irrig8r
03-11-2010, 01:04 PM
Not a knock on Kichler at all, but yesterday I met with Sherman of DG Lights and the slick, well engineered, serviceable and compact designs and options (optical lenses, nice glare shields, etc.) knocked my socks off.

Every design detail, component and accessory/ option are designed to work together.

He's more of a tech guy than a sales guy... he's well informed and was able to answer every question I had, and the fixtures sell themselves.

And as of last month, they are offering a 20 year warranty. Talk about raising the bar....

JimLewis
03-11-2010, 01:56 PM
That sounds good. Never heard of that brand though. Nobody around here is carrying them. So the lack of availability locally would be my problem. I'm sure I could order them online but I hate doing that with lighting because what usually happens during one of our lighting jobs is the client sees the lights the first night and instantly finds areas of the landscape where they want to have us install some more. And I want to be able to say, "Sure. Let me go get 4 more for you. I'll be back in 45 minutes" rather than, "Oh. Well, I ordered those online and so I'll have to order some more and I can be back in a week to install those for you." The problem with the latter is also I won't have time next week. I'm usually booked out 3-4 weeks in advance with jobs. So if someone wants more, I need to be able to pick them up locally from someone in town who has a good stock of them.

But I will have to admit I really don't like the look of the Kichler spot lights. A lot of glare from the sides and the fixtures don't look anything at all like a regular bullet spot light. So it would be nice to have an LED fixture that looked a little more professional, like LV light fixtures look traditionally.

When I said I was impressed with Kichler, I was mainly commenting on the light output and quality of the light. I honestly didn't expect it to be very nice. But the fixtures, they're hit and miss. The pathway lights were okay. But the spots are ugly.

irrig8r
03-11-2010, 04:48 PM
I've been told by another contractor that it sometimes takes a long time to get orders filled from DG Jim... I'll have to ask about that.

I was particularly impressed with a fixture called an XT, which is about the same size... maybe smaller diameter actually, as FX's Metallo Pesante or MP.

Good for specimen maples, small statuary or similar. Changeable optical lenses, nice shroud, well-machined stem...

Photometric charts show the 25 deg spread similar in output to a 30 deg. 20 W MR-11.

They have other fixtures available too, which aren't yet shown on the website.

http://dglights.com/products/index.html

Pro-Scapes
03-12-2010, 06:28 PM
I have the XT spot here. It is very compact and a nice output. You can vary the optics to alter the spreads if I am not mistaken. Mock ups and demos should be a breeze with a 9v battery lighting this thing up full tilt.

With that said I have had this a long long time. While I really do preffer it over the Kichler LED especially where the fixture would be seen (this thing is SMALL) I need a company with better support and turn around times. Maybe it is time I check Sherman out again. He really has had a great color and output for quite awhile now and I think it would be failry easy to change the LED chip in the field should need ever arrise.

What would be really nice is if someone offered an LED fixture you could "lamp" in the field with the needed output and spread. Order the chipsets seperatly from the fixtures and have a few different fixtures with interchangeable chips.

The Lighting Geek
03-12-2010, 07:53 PM
What would be really nice is if someone offered an LED fixture you could "lamp" in the field with the needed output and spread. Order the chipsets seperatly from the fixtures and have a few different fixtures with interchangeable chips.

I agree with you Billy on this 100%. The inherent problem with LED fixtures is lack of adjustments (ie, beam spread) and the inability to change from a 20 watt equivalent to a 35 watt in the field. The retro fit market will be able to address this, but I think you are on to something.

It would be great to have 10w, 20w, 30w, 40w, and 50w equivalents.

irrig8r
03-12-2010, 08:45 PM
I agree with you Billy on this 100%. The inherent problem with LED fixtures is lack of adjustments (ie, beam spread) and the inability to change from a 20 watt equivalent to a 35 watt in the field. The retro fit market will be able to address this, but I think you are on to something.

Tommy, if you haven't seen DG Light's stuff yet I urge you to take a look. You may be the Lighting Geek, but Sherman is the LED geek... as the technology improves I trust he will be among the first to offer it... so far he has.

If you ask reps for other companies why this and how come that, they often don't have a clue. They are usually not involved in the design or manufacturing process, they usually don't know all the features or specs, and if you mention something like "junction temperature" they tend to look like a deer caught in the headlights, and are completely out of their comfort zone...

If a smaller company like DG Lights could turn around orders as fast as say Vista, then they would no longer be a "smaller" company and probably corner the market...

Oh, and as far as beam spread, all the uplights can be changed to 8, 25, 40, 70 and 90 degrees using the optical lenses and use 3.7 W Cree emitters: 1 each in the XT and P65 and three in the Tri-Palm.

The Lighting Geek
03-12-2010, 09:29 PM

irrig8r
03-12-2010, 11:17 PM
I made a mistake in the beam spread info above... I was correct about the XT and Palm 65, but the Tri Palm is different than the others, in 10, 30, 45 and 90 degrees.

The 90 deg. was really a wide flood, using a frosted lens and shorter "body"... very nice effect for the right space.

David Gretzmier
03-13-2010, 01:16 AM
I will be testing a few new warm white mr-16 retrofits in the coming weeks. a challenge came up that actually makes the LED bulbs and a test, cost effective. I have an installation we did a few years back that has a 300 watt FX trans that has been added to once already and is maxed out. she needs one light added to a new small flagpole and was not too keen on the cost of going to a new 600 watt trans added to the cost of the new light. but switching 2 lights to 5 watt LED bulbs allows me to add another fixture to the same trans, and of course easier and at a much lower cost. Of course this solution is predicated on the LED's actually being what they are advertised- 240 lumen, 3000 kelvin 60 degree floods.

These same mr-16 bulbs were used on a cruise ship I was on in Miami, and talking to the guy who oversaw the retro fit of 2500 plus of them on the boat 2 years back and they run them 24/7 in enclosed and open fixtures, they feel really good about them. he says they still burn out and fail pretty in a pretty linear fashion from day 1, but they replace about 10 % of what they used to, saving labor and electricity. His quote was pretty telling "They cost 10 times as much, but we only replace 10% of what we used to, and you get the time and the electric savings to boot." Since everything on the boat is run off diesel generators, saving electricity means saving diesel .

My hope is since the lights going to LED are off by themselves and not side to side next to halogen, any minor color difference will not be noticable. we'll see.

David Gretzmier
03-13-2010, 01:22 AM
And to just get your hands around it, They saved 15 watts times 2500 bulbs, or 37,500 watts per hour x 24 hours per day, or 900,000 watts ( 900 kilowatts ) daily, 365 days per year.

RLDesign
03-13-2010, 10:58 AM

Hello Tommy, Yes - this is what I really think will happen overnight. As most contractors that want flexibility to design as the project evolves, manus. will listen and make that flexiblity. Sometimes, the designer changes the plant material or you need something different glare control. That is where I am having a hard time. Also, I need stats from each company. Each company should be able to provide L70 and LM79. Each company should be able to provide color temperature. I am trying to make decisions that allow me to install the best.
Thanks, Tanek

Infinity Landscapes, Inc
03-13-2010, 01:03 PM
jim they make shrouds for thoses lights I will be installing some next week for the first time as well. Does anyone on here have pics of there led jobs?

The Lighting Geek
03-13-2010, 03:46 PM
here are an assortment of jobs with LED. The area light is halogen.

RLDesign
03-13-2010, 05:27 PM
Hello Tommy,

Those are awesome pics.

Keep in touch.

Tanek
Reynolds Lighting Design

The Lighting Geek
03-13-2010, 07:03 PM
I should note that the back lit shower and fence were done with 12 volt LED rope light and the flame table was done with LED fiber optics both from Illumin FX.

The down light on the gate was done using Kumho retro MR16's.

The chair is down lighted, and the palms were up lit using Kichler 15733/43's with cowlings. Note that the house was white so there is a touch of brightness that is not visible in person. It was already pretty dark when the shot was taken, hence the house was unfortunarely blown out. I will go back and reshoot the whole job at twilight and post them later.

The area lights were from Volt with a 20 watt halogen, you can see the light color matches pretty well.

JimLewis
03-14-2010, 05:00 AM
So the Kichler fixtures we were using put out 8.5 watts. You guys think I could do Demo's with these with just a 9V battery??? How long does a 9V battery last when lighting up a LED fixture like this? Is it something I could leave at their house all night and it would stay lit throughout the evening? I would think the 9V battery would just die after 20 minutes.

Infinity Landscapes, Inc
03-14-2010, 12:40 PM
Thanks tommy. Jim where did you see that Idea. I don't think anyone in the thread said that. Can't see that a 9v would last very long See ya

The Lighting Geek
03-14-2010, 02:25 PM
It does work with a 9v battery, but they only last about an hour. If you set up some with battery plugs, you could use rechargeable 9v batteries and it would work. I use them to show a client where to add additional fixtures after we fire up the system. I have a couple of 4.5 and 8.5 with batteries so I don't worry about wiring and if they don't want the light, no problem. They also are handy to show someone the color of the light as well, without setting up a demo.

Pro-Scapes
03-15-2010, 01:09 AM
If I were seriously going to be doing alot of LED mock ups or something I might go with something like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/JADA-TOY-R-C-BATTERY-PACK-9-6V-9-6-VOLT-700MAH-NICD-AA_W0QQitemZ300407094621QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item45f1a87d5d

You can get inexpensive AC/DC quick chargers too that would fill that battery in about 15 min.

Pro-Scapes
03-15-2010, 10:55 AM
Jim,

I am not 100% sure the Kichlers will light up on a 9v. never tried. The DG fixtures I have tested do in fact light up on a standard 9v. I am certain without a larger battery you could not leave it very long say overnight but perhaps you could create a battery pack that would hold enough power to do so very easily.

I have alot of modeling experience (radio controlled boats and cars) so I probably have enough sub c sized cells here and I know I have the chargers to whip something up in a short amount of time if I ever needed to. This would also be an ideal scenario for weddings etc.

David Gretzmier
03-15-2010, 10:30 PM
batteries are rated in "mah" or milliamp hours, and a common 9v battery has about 200-400 mah. The pack on the link above is 700 mah. If you just want one pack, on ebay , I would get 3 "18650" cells, make a pack that lets you take apart the pack and recharge them individully, and also buy an 18650 charger. You cost on that will be roughly 18 bucks, and that 12v pack will have 2400-2800 mah. that would run a couple of 3-5 watt LED lights for a few hours, or one LED for close to 6.
The cells actually are really common batteries used in laptops and high power flashlights. they are lithium ion and you'll need a charger designed for them.

If you want to go big and start using LED retro fit bulbs in your demo kit, and give up the transformer and extension cords, then for 99 bucks shipped you can get 72 of these cells. that would make you 24 packs, and that would cover most demos. I would get the ones that have tabs and make the packs permanant and just get a few "balance lithium poly chargers" made for RC cars. Those ae not cheap chargers, 30-50 bucks each, but they tend to make your packs last longer. You will need to follow instructions online on how to build these packs with the proper blade charging port. these cells tend to last about 800-1000 charge/discharge cycles in my flashlights.

I am considering this since I demo most bids, and I hate the cords and trans weight in the kits. you lose the ability to just throw in any bulb from 10 degrees to 60, or a 35 watt bulb option, but most demos use 60 degree floods with a few narrower bulbs thrown in anyway.

the real cost in this plan is buying the bulbs just for the demo kit. that ain't gonna be cheap if you need 20-30 of them.

NightScenes
03-19-2010, 08:51 PM
These shots aren't the greatest but these are 100% LED except for the home's fixtures.

sal rodriguez
03-19-2010, 09:05 PM
No offense intended to the guy who posted those pictures . This is my own personal opinion. Photo #2 is hard to tell because it's way over exposed the detail is all blown out. Picture #1 is very telling. I noticed the same with photos posted by Tommy Geek, This is my own personal opinion so take it for what it's worth. Definately adequate qty of light. However the color of LED light is really less than flattering to the plant material. The LED is way too cool for my tastes. The colors of the plant materials are not enhanced and are not vivid. It's not the photography because the stone on the building is beautiful and it's lit with incandescant. The warm amber incandescant light really accentuates the stone. The plants look way too flat and uninteresting.
Again just my personal taste and opinion but I'm not impressed with what I've seen so far from LED.

elegance_alex
03-20-2010, 12:22 AM
This is a Kichler warm white LED 8.5. Note the lovely diffused edges, without any of the solid rims I sometimes see with the MR16s.

David Gretzmier
03-20-2010, 12:42 AM
I thought the photo's looked fine. I can't make mine look that good. the tree on the right in the first photo was very well lit. looks like someone climber a tree on that one. great work. led color maybe looks a little cool, but then halogen does when the exposure goes back or forth. I am betting the place looks stunning in person. great work. :usflag:

NightScenes
03-20-2010, 10:19 AM
As an experiment I first put a couple of MR16 fixtures in with the LEDs to see if I could pick them out but could not tell the difference.
As I said at the top of that post, they were not very good shots. The second one is very blown out. The best thing is that the client who thought that LED would look ungly, LOVES IT. In the end, that's all that really matters.

By the way, this was a retrofit of someone elses (PAR light) design. She liked the effect and asked me not to change the design, just change the fixtures. I would have done a lot of things differently myself.

sal rodriguez
03-20-2010, 10:50 AM
This is a Kichler warm white LED 8.5. Note the lovely diffused edges, without any of the solid rims I sometimes see with the MR16s.

I don't know about any diffused edges because my eye goes right to an intense hot spot in the center of that beam on a weathered fence.

halogen light can easily be altered with a lens.

irrig8r
03-20-2010, 04:03 PM
halogen light can easily be altered with a lens.

And if you use the integrated LEDs from DG Lights, they can too. In fact, I see that as one of their main strengths - a selection of optical lenses that allow you the ability to get very different effects from the same fixtures and emitters (single or triple array.)

sal rodriguez
03-20-2010, 08:54 PM
And if you use the integrated LEDs from DG Lights, they can too. In fact, I see that as one of their main strengths - a selection of optical lenses that allow you the ability to get very different effects from the same fixtures and emitters (single or triple array.)

Please show us some of your work with these lights so we can better see what you mean.

irrig8r
03-21-2010, 02:50 AM
Please show us some of your work with these lights so we can better see what you mean.

Sorry Sal, I don't have any yet. I've only seen them demo'd in a dark room so far.

Carlsbad is closer to you than to me, so maybe you oughta drop in sometime and see them.

And if you're not curious or interested enough to check 'em out yourself, maybe your competition will.

sal rodriguez
03-21-2010, 11:47 AM
Sorry Sal, I don't have any yet. I've only seen them demo'd in a dark room so far.

Carlsbad is closer to you than to me, so maybe you oughta drop in sometime and see them.

And if you're not curious or interested enough to check 'em out yourself, maybe your competition will.

So you have never actually used the product on a project and have not seen them used in actual outdoor landscape conditions. Just a demo in a dark room and this is what you base your endorsement on.

irrig8r
03-21-2010, 12:18 PM
So you have never actually used the product on a project and have not seen them used in actual outdoor landscape conditions. Just a demo in a dark room and this is what you base your endorsement on.

I've seen them in person and suggest you check them out if you're interested.

I was impressed with them.

You apparently haven't seen them.

People who read this forum will reach their own conclusions.

BTW, is it something in the water down there that puts a chip on your shoulder?

What I mean is, another guy who used to do sprinklers and now just lighting from your neck of the woods had a lot of good ideas he generously shared in this forum, but in the end just couldn't learn to play nice.

He didn't like LEDs either.

sal rodriguez
03-21-2010, 12:38 PM
I've seen them in person and suggest you check them out if you're interested.

I was impressed with them.

You apparently haven't seen them.

People who read this forum will reach their own conclusions.

BTW, is it something in the water down there that puts a chip on your shoulder?

What I mean is, another guy who used to do sprinklers and now just lighting from your neck of the woods had a lot of good ideas he generously shared in this forum, but in the end just couldn't learn to play nice.

He didn't like LEDs either.

I didn't say I didn't like LED's.

I'm not happy with the color of the light that I've seen so far.

As for the remark about having a chip on my shoulder I don't take it seriously coming from someone who endorses without actually using a product.

This is why everything read here should be taken for what it is.

Potentially some guys unfounded opinion who may have an alterior motive or agenda.

irrig8r
03-21-2010, 01:03 PM
I didn't say I didn't like LED's.

I'm not happy with the color of the light that I've seen so far.

As for the remark about having a chip on my shoulder I don't take it seriously coming from someone who endorses without actually using a product.

This is why everything read here should be taken for what it is.

Potentially some guys unfounded opinion who may have an alterior motive or agenda.

I hear you Sal. There are some here who are representing or actually selling products.

I'm not.

I was impressed with the thought that went into the design of these particular LED products enough to urge others to check them out.

LEDs are an emerging technology as applied to lighting. But just because you might think they'll be better and less costly as time goes on doesn't mean you shouldn't give them a try now.

If I believed that I might not have purchased my first cell phone in 1987... and I'm not even what people would call an "early adopter".

Some companies are on their third generation of LED offerings. Some of their salespeople are reluctant to push them.

Whoever is best at offering a reliable and versatile LED selection, with good warranty coverage will gain customer acceptance and a good market share.

maxwilbryan
03-21-2010, 01:35 PM
I'm probably off the subject here but what about LED tree lights? I just ordered some cast trees lights due to the endorsements given by a lot of you. The long shroud and mount looked impressive. But it does make sense to use LEDs up there.

The Lighting Geek
03-21-2010, 02:46 PM
I have used LED retro fit lamps in tree mounted moonlighting and they work great.

elegance_alex
03-21-2010, 02:59 PM
I've tried a couple of kinds of LED retrofits so far, and they are OK so far - just installed last July and holding their color.- bulbrite's warm white 25 degree and 38 degree and sylvania's 35 degree 3000K. I am wanting to have as many beamspreads as possible and several color temps.

LIGHTING GEEK- What kind/sizes are you using?

elegance_alex
03-21-2010, 03:01 PM
I'm probably off the subject here but what about LED tree lights? I just ordered some cast trees lights due to the endorsements given by a lot of you. The long shroud and mount looked impressive. But it does make sense to use LEDs up there.

I LOVE the CAST tree lights. We get hail here in Texas, and they have done very well - getting through the storms with no visible damage. They patina really slowly, so if you want them to brown sooner, use the FX recipe for patina solution.

maxwilbryan
03-21-2010, 03:10 PM
In regards to the retros. Is there a certain brand you stand by? Why all the fuss about "retros arent here yet" if you, the king guru, are using them. I dont get it! You need to write a book. Thanks.

The Lighting Geek
03-21-2010, 03:34 PM
In regards to the retros. Is there a certain brand you stand by? Why all the fuss about "retros arent here yet" if you, the king guru, are using them. I dont get it! You need to write a book. Thanks.

well, I have some in 2 jobs and my clients and I are watching them. They are the Kumho LED lamps. In general retro fit lamps are not available in equivalents greater than 20watt. These seem to do a good job

I am not the king guru, I am the lighting geek, and I am writing a book...LOL

maxwilbryan
03-21-2010, 03:42 PM
No hero worshiping here (maybe a little) but you need patches on your digs lik NASCAR drivers... Seems like you could get free stuff by having companies like kumho sponser your website. I bet everyone in this forum has visited it. There must be hundreds of viewers who don't post but go out and buy product based on your endorsement.
Posted via Mobile Device

The Lighting Geek
03-21-2010, 03:54 PM
I am sponsored by 5.11 Tactical, and if you want some the best, most comfortable clothing to work in check it out.
http://www.511tactical.com

Other than that, I don't carry the weight you may think I do, although the camera does add 10-15 lbs. I am just someone who is passionate about what I do, and not afraid to make fun of myself. :)

Pro-Scapes
03-21-2010, 07:08 PM
I can vouch for Tommy on that. He was making jokes about himself in my Vegas hotel Suite 2 years ago at 8am when we were heading to Lightfair. And yes people were staring at him walking thru the casinos in full Geek Gear.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-21-2010, 08:27 PM

Handsdown the most effective use for LED MR16 lamps is in Tree mounted downlights. I have a couple thousand installed now with fantastic results. I cannot see any reason to ever return to halogen lamps in this application.

Yes I manufacture and sell a line of LED lamps, MR16s included. I assure you that this does not bias my opinion in any way. I was using other's LED lamps in my systems long before I improved upon the available lamps and came up with my own line.

Try it, you will like it!

David Gretzmier
03-21-2010, 10:22 PM
max- retrofit wise I would go with whatever James ( Integra ) has used from 2 years to 18 months back. he probably has the most experience, and more bulbs in the field with LED than anyone else here.

seolatlanta
03-22-2010, 12:34 AM
Hey James ,

Do you use any kind of filter on the LED bulbs you use in downlights? Just wondering what the glare was like with the LED's.

I use a lot of blue filters with a 35 watt 36 or 60 degree esp. on grassy areas . It gives a great looking effect , I guess the blue on the green grass combines well . I usually use the Unique Lunar as they come with all the lenses and lamp , and I love the glare control of the long shroud.

That being said I hate going 40 ft up a tree on a ladder every year. I am going to have to go LED to cut down on that crap!:laugh:

Lite4
03-22-2010, 08:23 AM
I used some retrofits for some downlighting and they seem to work ok. Color seems ok, however I was hoping for something a little closer to a 20 watt BAB. The light just didn't seem to carry as far with the LEDs. That being said though, they are working well enough for the intended purpose.

I do have a few samples of DGs LEDs. I have their small spot lighter, their path light and the phoenix. I gotta tell ya, I have installed Kichler LEDs but this little phoenix "seems"
every bit as bright as a 35 watt FMW and the fixtures are freaking tanks. The optical lensing and adjustable shielding is a huge plus over kichler. The fit and finish of their fixtures is darn near spec grade like you would find with BK, Hunza and the like. They also seem to run much cooler temperature wise than the kichlers. kichlers 35 and 50 watt equivelants run very warm to the touch to the point of being very uncomfortable and almost burning hot. All of DGs drivers are external also, which is another thing I like about them. I have not installed them yet on a job but I do have a few coming up that they will be going into. I am genuinely excited to see how well these babies perform in situ and will be taking some photos to share. You really should check them out if you havn't yet. I don't impress real easy, "especially with LEDs" because of all the reasons Sal mentioned. But I am genuinly excited about trying this line.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-22-2010, 08:30 AM
Hey James ,

Do you use any kind of filter on the LED bulbs you use in downlights? Just wondering what the glare was like with the LED's.

I use a lot of blue filters with a 35 watt 36 or 60 degree esp. on grassy areas . It gives a great looking effect , I guess the blue on the green grass combines well . I usually use the Unique Lunar as they come with all the lenses and lamp , and I love the glare control of the long shroud.

That being said I hate going 40 ft up a tree on a ladder every year. I am going to have to go LED to cut down on that crap!:laugh:

Hi David, good to hear from you. You can install any type of filter you wish in front of the LED lamps as long as the lamp is actually shaped the same as the ANSI MR16 form (mine are, many many others are not)

That being said, if you are are used to putting a light blue lens in front of a halogen lamp, you will probably be very happy with the light output of a 3500K - 4000K LED lamp, and will not have to lens them. The higher the degrees kelvin the cooler white the colour of the lamp.

Any glare issues you have with tree mounting downlights would be solved with fixture selection and placement details. The type of lamp installed in the fixture will have little effect on this. Long shrouds, aiming angles and viewing angles are the key here.

Have a great day.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-22-2010, 08:42 AM
kichlers 35 and 50 watt equivelants run very warm to the touch to the point of being very uncomfortable and almost burning hot.

Since you brought this up... my general rule of thumb on operating temperatures is that if the fixture/lamp is too warm to hold in your hand while tightly grasping it, or if you feel uncomfortable after holding it for more than 20-30 seconds, then the fixture/lamp is operating too hot.

Remember that most quality LED chips have max junction temperatures of around 100 Degrees Celsius.

It would be SO NICE if all manufacturers would simply release the full operating specifications for their products! I cannot stress this enough. Information such as junction temperatures, colour temperatures, Lumens output, L70, etc are absolutely necessary metrics required by contractors to make informed decisions.