PDA

View Full Version : turf grass taking a beating next to roadway

alteeter
03-11-2010, 07:48 AM
Hey all, I have a couple of properties that have some small turf grass area's running right along the roadside. Looking at these properties yesterday (getting spring cleans started) I noticed that the turf near the roadside is just almost gone or buried in tar gravel (what used to fill the potholes now in the road) any suggestions other than fert, fert, fert to help with these problem areas'??? There really isnt anything I can do about what happens during the winter (snow fence, etc.) Just trying to figure out the best game plan for these area's. Thanks to all and keep on kicking grass..........

gunsnroses
03-11-2010, 08:27 AM
I would remove the rocks so you dont damage cars wilst mowing. Punch holes and seed. Call county to fix holes. Spray for snow mold late next fall. You may be better off laying weed fabric and cobble rock on top.

GrassStitcher
03-11-2010, 01:01 PM
Hate to toot my own horn, but the Grass Stitcher www.grassstitcher.com is perfect for this and many more uses. BTW it works great for snow mold also.

Assuredlandscape
03-11-2010, 08:03 PM
you have a few choices you can either lay fabirc and stone or fill it back in top soil seed it or sod it. Goodluck!

Lugnut
03-11-2010, 09:30 PM
rake it clean, aerate, lime, and overseed.

VO Landscape Design
03-12-2010, 01:10 PM
We have the same problem in our front yard. Dirt,stones,sand,rocks and other road debris, trucks driving over the curb. I was going to level it up, its about 3 inches higher than it should be, scrap it off and reseed. The first 3 years I would rake it all up, aerate, seed and try to make it look better. It did until winter and it started all over again. Now I just try to keep it clean. Next year they are going to make it a bike path/wider sidewalk so I will not have to worry about ugly looking grass/dirt/sand/crap.
VO