PDA

View Full Version : Rubber Mulch

Clay Trussell
06-15-2002, 05:16 PM
Has anybody ever used recycled (tire) rubber mulch????
How did it turn out????

robert payer
06-15-2002, 07:52 PM
Tire mulch looks very nice. Have never used it. Much to expensive. Holds its color for years. They coat the shreaded tire with a brown color. Big magnets remove all the wire belting from the tires in the process.

Clay Trussell
06-15-2002, 08:12 PM
Is there a place you can see this stuff on the Web

williamslawn
06-15-2002, 09:37 PM
It is not good for the plants it hold too much heat

1MajorTom
06-15-2002, 10:10 PM
Maybe try this site.
http://www.stopmulching.com/

You can see the different colors and get a price comparison.

SCAPEASAURUSREX
06-23-2002, 11:16 AM
One of my suppliers is selling it and quite a bit of it too ... They have a display set up and all sorts of colors, like blue, red, green, black , brown, etc.. It looks really nice , but I think its' primarily geared toward playgrounds ? dont think it would hold moisture, but it , I would Think ? , would help retain moisture in the soil ? I dont know about retaining heat ?? Dont believe that rubber holds heat long ?? The info I read on the rubber mulch said it was ideal for planting s etc ????? But yeah , It's too expensive for my clients......

steveair
06-23-2002, 05:47 PM
Hello,

Only time I've seen it is in playground areas, and I'm talking about 'high end' homes with the playground set that costs more than most cars.

Can't see it being within many budgets. Also, I would hate to have to do any replanting in a area with the stuff. Would have to be used in places where you now nothing is going to change for a long time.

steve

lawnstudent
06-28-2002, 09:21 AM
The stuff is higher in cost but it does not compost rapidly (if at all). You don't need to renew this stuff every year like bark mulch. That should improve the ecomonics for this product. I've placed a sample in my landscape as a test. It looks like standard mulch. It has not faded like standard mulch. But I don't know if I would use it in my landscapes?

I think it does make sense in playground areas. Heavier than bark or shredded wood mulch, therefore, less apt to move around. Less prone to washouts? It seems to be a good cushion to fall on. Not a hard material that could get into the eyes of kids rolling in the stuff. Not going to produce slime molds or mushrooms in the middle of the play area after a rain.

jim

robert payer
06-28-2002, 10:40 PM
The other day I had inquired about the price of rubber mulch. The company e-mailed and quoted $450.00 per ton. HOW EXPENSIVE! I would rather sell a normal bark mulch job and up sell planting improvements for that kind of money.

JML
06-30-2002, 02:43 AM
hey scape,

where in nj can you get this stuff at?

thanks

joe