PDA

View Full Version : Curved Concrete Wall Forms

jham
03-12-2010, 06:33 AM
I am going to be building a couple curved poured concrete landscape walls and am looking for some advice on form material and construction. The walls will be 3' tall and 6" inches thick poured on a 1'X6" footer. One will be a constant curve, the other multi-curved, and they'll be cutting the corners of an existing block wall to be used as raised planters. The tightest radius of any of the curves will be approx 2'. I've looked some at using curfed plywood or using regular 5/16" plywood curved across the grain and doubled as it should be able to bend to that radius. Any advice on the easiest and most economical materials/ methods that will reliably hold for the project would be appriciated.

tthomass
03-12-2010, 06:23 PM
A 2' radius? Use building stone or block and veneer.

jham
03-13-2010, 04:31 AM
Seems if I used any kind of block or stone there would be a whole lot of cutting and it would be really technical to level and aligned with the curves. I'm pretty sure pouring the walls and then veneering and capping would work best with what I'm dealing with. Looking for the best cost effective material for the forms as well as the support structure required.

Superior L & L
03-14-2010, 09:00 AM
maybe i dont know what im talking about, but isnt a 2' radius on a wall almost a 90 degree turn (way too tight)

jham
03-14-2010, 09:59 AM
If either of us doesn't know what we're talking about, it's not you. If you're both saying pouring is unreasonable I suppose I'll have to go with CMU. All the cutting, leveling, aligning will be better than trying to build an impossible form just to have it blow. I'll be putting on a ledge stone veneer anyway so not too worried about what it looks like. Thanks for the input.

jham
03-14-2010, 10:00 AM
How much rebar do I need to run with the blocks?

tthomass
03-14-2010, 03:05 PM
Check your county code. How tall is this wall? Drainage? 18" wide footer, I'd go 24". Where are you located? What the heck are you building that has a 2' radius? Are you working in a townhouse backyard?

Dirt Boy
03-14-2010, 07:27 PM
My $.02 worth

I will not try to pass any judgment on your judgment, but you can find plastic that is of various thickness', so you could get some that is say 3/8" or thicker (probably going to be expensive) and bend to your shape. 2 x 4's for bracing every 2' would and a couple of angled braces from top and bottom out and staked should hold everything.

Where to get it? Probably either an industrial plastic's supply company, or if there is an gravel trucking company around, they may use "bed liner" in their truck boxes to protect them, they may have old used ones around or be able to direct you to where to buy.