PDA

View Full Version : CopperMoon 9020

emby
03-12-2010, 01:32 PM
Just thought I would share a couple of photos. CM-9020, Anitque finish,25ft lead wire.
Nice path light.

S&MLL
03-12-2010, 02:34 PM
Is that antiqued? looks barley aged

irrig8r
03-12-2010, 02:40 PM
Is that antiqued? looks barley aged

Yeah, barley, and hops too... :-)

emby
03-12-2010, 02:51 PM
Maybe I should try the spelling check before I post as I spelled Antique wrong too!! Silly Canadian :)

irrig8r
03-12-2010, 03:32 PM
I just thought he meant it had been soaked in beer...

S&MLL
03-12-2010, 06:57 PM
Gregg dont you have some pgps to adjust??

Classic Lighting
03-12-2010, 07:18 PM
I don't have any experience with Copper Moon. What is the attraction to this brand over other name brands.
Posted via Mobile Device

klkanders
03-12-2010, 07:37 PM
I don't have any experience with Copper Moon. What is the attraction to this brand over other name brands.
Posted via Mobile Device

For me the attraction starts with the above pictures. Look at the packaging first. They don't mess around. Most pieces of each fixture are individually wrapped or boxed then put in a bigger box with bubble wrap or other protection.
Next check out how beefy and solid that fixture is. Also comes with good socket, lamp and stake. Last but not least is great customer service!

I use a few other "name brands" as well. Depends on the application.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
03-12-2010, 08:18 PM
Keith. CopperMoon does offer a few good fixtures and many that, in my opinion, are not so good. The fixture that is shown above falls into the latter category, again IMO. The material that the top hat is made from is rather thin and flimsy. To overcome this you will find the edge is rolled. I think that a good hail storm would dent the top hat material easily. Compare the thickness of the top hat material to that of Auroralight, FX, Vista, Nightscaping, etc.

There is no glare control on that fixture as you cannot adjust the height of the lamp inside the glass lens. Also, the sockets that they use are some of the worst I have ever encountered. They have a "memory" and once you install a G5.3 pin lamp you can forget about ever putting in a G4 lamp. I have had a lot of issues with that socket. As for the plastic ground stake, it is one of the weakest I have ever used. We toss them right into the recycling bin. Good packaging and labels are not enough to impress me on this one. :)

CM does make some decent fixtures, Specifically the 890, 895, 115, 125, and some will say the 390 too.... but as with most manufacturers they also sell some product that I don't think are up to 'pro standards'.

Ken, please let us all know your experience with these over time.

klkanders
03-12-2010, 09:48 PM
James, I can't argue on that. I agree with most of it. Actually my paths of preference from them are the 700/20, 730/20 and 750/20. Simple rugged and adjustable hat on the stem. I have not tried the 115 yet but your other choices are my favs as well. My favorite plastic stake is still the Kichler with the wire slot! I agree on the sockets but I thought that had been rectified?

emby
03-13-2010, 12:01 AM
This will be my first install of the 9020's.
I personally have many of the 730/20's out there. When I first tried these fixtures (about three years ago) I did have two sockets that were bad right out of the box but there was no problem getting replacements.
I have had zero issues since then with any of the sockets. I do apply dielectric to the pins before installing the bulbs. When performing bulb maintenance I have always used the same type of bulb and have not noticed any problems with the socket. I think they must have addressed and resolved these issues.
As far as the top hat thickness I personally do not feel that any normal hail storm would actually dent the material but I am sure that golf ball size hail would do something as it would our cars and trucks.
On the 730/20's I find when lowering the top hat which exposes more of the bulb it creates a shadow ring. When the top hat screw is on the top hole it disperses the light properly and softly with out the cutoff or shadow ring as I call it. This was one of my reasons for trying the 9020 as I do not really use that option for adjusting.
I know the "ground stake" conversation has been well discussed on one of the threads here and I have read it several times. You can order Coppermoon products with the brass stake but I just do not have any reason to install them in our surrounding location. Now if I had an install where it was going into sand or heavy rock then I could see that would be a problem.
I have had one instance where the lawn cutters banged into a bullet fixture and snapped the plastic stake. When I was there replacing it I thought to myself if this was a brass stake it would of bent. What would you do? Would you replace the brass stake or would you try to bend it back to its original shape and hope that it does not break? Either way your there and to replace the brass stake is going to cost you more than the plastic. Maybe I am missing something here such as time which most of you have on me because you know what lasts and what does not.
Overall these path lights are not the best of the best but they are a source of light, they are made from copper which is going to last a long time, they do not have an open bulb exposed to insects or moisture and they are reasonably priced all backed by great customer support.
I am going to give them a try and I will surely update on any issues. Thanks for all your input guys as I love to learn from other peoples experiences.

Ken

David Gretzmier
03-13-2010, 12:55 AM
I reviewed some copper moon stuff and posted the results on lawnsite last may. I found thier stuff to be pretty good. we all have our favorites, but while I remember the hats can interchange out, I don't remember the path hats to be thin. I will check tomorrow at the shop. i do remember the trans having very sharp edges compared to others, but you can look at the reviews if you care.

Pro-Scapes
03-13-2010, 09:58 PM
one of the best things about Coppermoon is Doug Shumates business ethics and willingness to listen to his customers. His service is second to none and he will always go above and beyond. The personalized service you can get with them is highly commendable. I think anyone who deals with them will tell you this.

Yes the packaging is always great. Never had an issue. I do have an issue with glass supported pathlights and they are not something I install anymore (from any manufacture)

I have hundreds if not thousands of Coppermoon fixtures in the field. Very few issues. True... some of them are better than others just like any lineup but I expect we will continue to see improvments accross the board as Doug continues to bring new products into his line.

S&MLL
03-14-2010, 03:58 AM
one of the best things about Coppermoon is Doug Shumates business ethics and willingness to listen to his customers. His service is second to none and he will always go above and beyond. The personalized service you can get with them is highly commendable. I think anyone who deals with them will tell you this.

Yes the packaging is always great. Never had an issue. I do have an issue with glass supported pathlights and they are not something I install anymore (from any manufacture)

I have hundreds if not thousands of Coppermoon fixtures in the field. Very few issues. True... some of them are better than others just like any lineup but I expect we will continue to see improvments accross the board as Doug continues to bring new products into his line.

Could not have said it any better myself.

elegance_alex
03-14-2010, 06:03 PM
We've been showing 2 Copper Moon Path lights in the Elite series and I think they are lovely, and my clients do too. We have tried a couple of other suppliers, but I must say that this company has wonderful customer service, the right items are always shipped in solid packaging, I have never had an issue with breakage in shipment (which I have with 2 others). They often follow up when I have tried something new to ask how I liked it. I ALWAYS do business with people I like, and I think this is the way to do business.