PDA

View Full Version : Preen or Snapshot

jjacobsgrounds
03-12-2010, 07:26 PM
Just curious to find out what you all use (if any) for pre emergent weed control in plant beds. Also would like to know sources for wholesale prices. I'm doing a lot of bed maintenance and applying a granular before mulching this spring.

www.jjacobsgrounds.com

clallen03
03-13-2010, 03:30 PM
I used snapshot this year for the first time. So far none of my winter annual beds have any weed in them and I haven't had to pull anything. The only time I bend over in my beds now is to deadhead my pansies. Thanks God!

Superior L & L
03-13-2010, 04:04 PM
snapshot is way better than preen. Just make sure it is applied right. I personally have used treflan for 10-12 years now. I think its about $35 per bag. Based on application rates on the bag you could do something stupid like 200 yds of mulch with it. But ive yet to see this happen!

Southern Elegance
03-13-2010, 04:24 PM
preen is a treflan based pre emegerent. preen is just a brand name. you can use treflan 3-4 times throughout the year and get great results, cheaper than you can use snap shot once per year. we normally alternate every year

grassman177
03-13-2010, 07:52 PM
we have been loyal snapshot users for around 8years, but started to lose control so made a switch to Freehand 1.75G for this year, we will see. it is cheaper, uses pendi and a new chem for control over yellow nutsedge which has become a huge problem in my beds. i thought if i can get control over that than i am a winner!! suppliers are everywhere. do some searching

Gold Star Lawns
03-13-2010, 08:09 PM
snapshot is good...apply at the proper time and the effects are usually pretty good in my opinion.

jsf343
03-14-2010, 01:07 AM
snapshot is KING! 6 months vs. 3 months snap is a very good product

bigw
03-14-2010, 01:36 AM
Used preen at my house before but since using snapshot on the jobs its all i use anywhere now.

White Gardens
03-14-2010, 10:09 AM
we have been loyal snapshot users for around 8years, but started to lose control so made a switch to Freehand 1.75G for this year, we will see. it is cheaper, uses pendi and a new chem for control over yellow nutsedge which has become a huge problem in my beds. i thought if i can get control over that than i am a winner!! suppliers are everywhere. do some searching

Have you guys used any sedghammer for existing nutsedge ??? I've got a couple of properties with nutsedge, luckily it's not out of control up here yet, but I have a couple of places that I need to get it under control.

grassman177
03-14-2010, 12:46 PM
i would have loved to consider sedgehammer( and i have some) to use in the beds for the problem, but the kicker is it seems 90% of the nutsedge is actauly in the shrubs where you cant spray it. that is why i am putting blind faith in this new Freehand to help curb this issue.

White Gardens
03-14-2010, 01:19 PM
i would have loved to consider sedgehammer( and i have some) to use in the beds for the problem, but the kicker is it seems 90% of the nutsedge is actauly in the shrubs where you cant spray it. that is why i am putting blind faith in this new Freehand to help curb this issue.

Have someone get in those shrubs with with a dish of sedgehammer and a disposable paint brush. Go in a paint the leaves, and make sure you wear good rubber gloves.

One other guy on LS mentioned using a dish washing soap/sponge dispenser filled with your favorite chemical thus making a true "wick" applicator.

I use that technique on volunteer trees, and hard to kill weeds that come up in shrubs and bushes.

Roundup doesn't seem to kill sedge at all, and I haven't tried sedgehammer yet and didn't know if you had any results.

Pulling it is almost a waste too, as you never completely get the "nut" out of the ground.

grassman177
03-14-2010, 07:57 PM
pulling it make sit worse by three fold!!!

sedge hammer works great, just neer used it in ornamental . think is, the small measure scoop you use for sedgehammer makes one gal, and it has to be used in 2hrs or it goes bad and non effective. so i would have to waste alot of product to do this as i am not always near all my jobs to do this within a 2hr window. i have used roundup this way on a sponge, but it can go badly quick if you trip and fall!!!! and it only kills the sedge leaves you see, it then sprouts up three fold as if you pulled it from the nutlets underground nice a deep waitin for their chance to cause grief and misery on LCOs!

but if Freehand works then super, if not then i prob will try my best to use sedgemammer like you were mentioning.

Shegardi
03-14-2010, 11:12 PM
I've seen all the data on Freehand and it shows it will outperform Snapshot. I used some last year and had great results and it controlled nutsedge

grassman177
03-15-2010, 12:17 AM
that is very good to hear, maybe i should revive an old thread from earlier this winter that asked for reviews about it. no one really seemed to be using it at the time or did not see the thread.

what rate were you using, app date and how many apps per year and when if i may be so nosy!? we used snapshot twice per year aobut 6 or 7 or 8j weed apart depending ont he weather, usually 6 though. that acompanied with gly apps periodically. i have to read the labe for Freehand better as i only did a few months ago one time. but i think it was a similar use rate and app timing/how many and how far apart as the snapshot.