PDA

View Full Version : 1992 F250HD With 7.3L INTERNATIONAL Engine

fullmetalbucket
03-12-2010, 06:58 PM
Hi All, found another truck today.... Nice old '92 F250 7.3L International XLT truck. The frame, cab and floors are mint. They replaced the front fenders, box and doors with Southern US parts. Truck is tight and straight but I'd give it a coat of paint to make it nice... Everything works, even the power lumbar, has dual tanks etc, etc.... 143,000 MILES and an 8' Arctic plow with joystick controls.
I've heard that the Int 7.3 is known as a million mile motor.... any truth to this? Anyone have one of these trucks? I'm seriously considering going down tomorrow and making him an offer..... Any input would really be appreciated.

Gravel Rat
03-12-2010, 07:10 PM
How many kilometers does the truck have ?

The only thing with the 7.3 IDI N/A is glow plugs and if the truck has some miles on the engine you may need injectors and a pump.

The big killer of the 7.3 IDI is cavitiation in the cylinder walls if there wasn't the additive in the coolant then you get caviation. It eats a pin hole through the cylinder and hydrolocks the engine. It can happen at any time and you need a rebuilt engine.

If the truck has any service history on it to find out if the cooling system has been maintained.

I had a 7.3 IDI it was good not much power I would rather have a 95-97 PSD thou in a OBS Ford.

fullmetalbucket
03-12-2010, 07:53 PM
It has 230,000KM on it.... He seems honest enough, has service history from a Ford dealer and was talking alot how well it has been maintained. It did take a couple times to fire up and he did say that in the winter it's sometimes hard to start if it's not plugged in. What does a pump run on those?? I thought it accelerated fine - better than my 6.5TD! Wasn't lightening but felt like the 7.3 I had in my '93 250 a few years ago...
I'll make a point of asking him about the diesel specific antifreeze though....
Thanks for the input!

fullmetalbucket
03-12-2010, 07:54 PM
Suppose I do get it, can you resleeve them?

farmboy1285
03-12-2010, 09:24 PM
yes you can, I guess you really shouldnt bore out the 7.3 idi because of the sleeves and thin walls, a guy over on the forum Im on for the IDIs went through like 3 rebuilt 7.3's in 6 months because the company that rebuilt them bored them out and the sleeves would come out of the block. He ended up building a super 6.9 IDI that was good for around 300 ponies. What is the asking price of the truck?

fullmetalbucket
03-13-2010, 08:57 AM
He's asking $7500 Canadian for the truck with the plow. Forgot to mention it has a backrack with plow lights, new bank of pro installed switches. I was really impressed with the overall condition of the truck.... I'm suspecting that the glow plugs aren't 100% because it took a few attempts to get'er going. Is there a test for glow plugs? Is there a test I can have done to the antifreeze to see if it's the correct type for the truck?
Thanks.

Mowingman
03-13-2010, 09:06 AM
I have owned a lot of those trucks. That engine is good for about 500,000 miles, if well cared for.
The truck itself, without the plow, would sell here in Texas for about $2500.00 - $3000.00, tops. I do not know how the market is for them in your area. Sounds like a nice truck though.

fullmetalbucket
03-13-2010, 11:15 AM
$7-8000.00 seems to be about what you have to pay to get anything diesel, 3/4t or better that appears to be a reliable truck that hasn't been beat on too bad. Anything less than that and the trucks usually have a ton of rust or other issues. I'll call the guy and get him to e-mail me a bunch of pics that I'll post.

fullmetalbucket
03-13-2010, 11:28 AM
One more thing about this truck that I see as a + is that it has never towed... It also had the trans rebuilt 5000km ago.

fullmetalbucket
03-13-2010, 12:19 PM
I just spoke to the owner of the truck and he said he always made sure that the Ford dealer used the proper diesel antifreeze in the truck. The owner before him was a long haul trucker who did all his own maintenance and only owned diesels... and he always used diesel AF in the truck. I should have pics later today... I'll post when I get them.

fullmetalbucket
03-13-2010, 02:15 PM
Pics attached.

Mowingman
03-13-2010, 02:35 PM
Looks to me like it has been wrecked and rebuilt with a new front sheetmetal.
The paint on the front fenders and hood do not match the rest of the truck. You had better have a body man you trust, look that truck over.

fullmetalbucket
03-13-2010, 02:47 PM
The fenders are replacements and need to be lined up a little better than they are... he put them on instead of messing around with body work. The body is straight and rust free overall but a body/paint job would be in the order. I spent close to an hour underneath looking at everything and everything looks straight and original but you really never know what you're getting with an older truck I guess...
Trying to be cautious but I'm a sucker for these old Fords....

Mowingman
03-13-2010, 04:59 PM
I know about being hooked on these old fords. I have had 14 of them over the years, and just bought two more, ( that makes 16 now) in the last two months. One off of an ad on this forum. It is a clean, 97, in fact, maybe the cleanest old Powerstroke i have ever owned.
If, after doing a good inspection, you decide to buy it, you can always get your money back when you sell. These 7.3IDI and 7.3 turbo Pwerstrokes really hold their value well, and are highly sought after, if in good condition.
I just sold an old, but good running, but beat to heck, 97 crewcab F350, long bed, 4x2, powerstroke diesel, (331,500 miles), to the first person who responded to my Craigslist ad. They paid my full asking price of $2400.00 and were thrilled to get it.
Good luck with that old truck , if you decide to buy. There is probably a LOT of life left in it.

The fenders are replacements and need to be lined up a little better than they are... he put them on instead of messing around with body work. The body is straight and rust free overall but a body/paint job would be in the order. I spent close to an hour underneath looking at everything and everything looks straight and original but you really never know what you're getting with an older truck I guess...
Trying to be cautious but I'm a sucker for these old Fords....

360ci
03-13-2010, 06:24 PM
He's asking $7500 Canadian for the truck with the plow. Forgot to mention it has a backrack with plow lights, new bank of pro installed switches. I was really impressed with the overall condition of the truck.... I'm suspecting that the glow plugs aren't 100% because it took a few attempts to get'er going. Is there a test for glow plugs? Is there a test I can have done to the antifreeze to see if it's the correct type for the truck?
Thanks.

I'd definitely get it checked for problems through CarFax. $The price seems reasonable considering a new flat plow can run $4-5K in Canada with installation. The new front sheetmetal is similar on either side, so I bet the panels were replaced due to rust, rather than accident damage.

Take it for a ride and if the steering tracks straight and it doesn't fly over bumps then I'd get it. Find a rough area to test the 4x4 to make sure it all works. The tires look to have some decent tread left too. For the mileage, the front seat is in rather good condition! I'd definitely make an offer if I had the room.

Up until 2006, my work diesels as old as 1990, I'd turn the key 'on' until the glow plug light went out, then I'd turn the key 'off'. I'll wait a couple seconds then turn the key to 'on' and the glow plug light generally came on for 1-5 more seconds depending on the outside temp, and I've never had any problems starting, even without plugging the heater cable in on all but the coldest of days.

fullmetalbucket
03-13-2010, 06:44 PM
When I saw it on Friday I took it out for maybe 20 min.... tracks nice even with the plow on the front, took it down some rough roads and it was fine... Didn't try the 4wd because I wasn't near any dirt roads and the pavement was dry but I'll likely go back Monday to make the guy an offer and find a dirt road at that time. Anyone know if there's a test to do on the glow plugs to see if they're good? I remember doing something with my old truck but can't remember what I did..... :confused:

Mowingman
03-13-2010, 08:33 PM
Even if some of the glow plugs need replaced, they are cheap to buy and easy to replace.

stroker51
03-13-2010, 09:05 PM
Im guessing the front fenders are the same, it looks like they match the cab, its the doors and bed that are different. That tailgate is off of a 97, so I'm guessing the bed and doors are what has been switched.