PDA

View Full Version : help with dallis grass please

Craig Turf Management
06-16-2002, 09:32 AM
I recently aquired three properties in the samr neighborhood. They have been neglected, and have quite a few weeds. There is quite a bit of dallis grass (I hate dallis grass), a lot of clover, and an assortment of a few other broadleaf weeds.

Question one: What are you guys using for dallis grass in fescue. I have used MSMA in the past, but I'm not terribly pleased with it's performance. Any selective herbicide that will take out dallis grass with one application?

Question two: I normally use Momentum for broadleaf weeds in fescue. Have you folks had luck combining MSMA and Momentum in the same tank?
Please let me know how you would handle these weeds. I would like to use the products that I have mentioned, as I already have them on hand.

Thanks, Bill Craig!

MrBarefoot
06-17-2002, 09:16 PM
I have had good relsults using MSMA for my lawns. I have not found a better product. I have found that Dallisgrass does take more then one app.

I have talked to people who use Acclaim (spelling may be wrong) for grassy weeds who are pleased with it.

I like to use Millennium Ultra Plus, for broadleafs and grassy weeds. It has 2,4-D, Clopyralid, Dicamba and MSMA.
I also find it costs about the same as Momentum in my area. It also mixes well with Talstar (label says so, I have not done it.)

Hope it helps.

Dan Cherney

FERT REP
06-17-2002, 10:16 PM
If you are to use Momentum with MSMA you should use the Msma DG not EC. They seem to be more compatible I believe the rate is .75 oz MO with 1.2 oz MSMA per 1000ftsq I have a formula at the shop if you need it just private message me

mark2
06-18-2002, 10:53 PM
I had a chem rep tell me last week that the best thing to do was "discretely spray round-up" before overseed time!!!!!!!

I thought this was crazy! He says, and I think he is right, that MSMA takes about 3 apps. and after 3 apps. the fescue would be burned up.

I would like to know the answer to your question also. Maybe someone can tell us more info.

Turfdoctor
06-19-2002, 02:18 AM
MSMA might make you feel better about Dallis, but I also agree it takes three apps, toasts the fescue by then, and will be right back in same spot next year, regardless. Roundup sucks on dallis. Envoy is the only chemical I have tried and actually killed with one app. Unfortunatly, it smokes fescue just as easy. I use it right before seeding. Actually put envoy in dish soap type spone stick and wiped blades of Dallis. Worked great,very boring, dont see that happening again!!!!!!

Craig Turf Management
06-20-2002, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the help guys. There is dallis in a bunch of lawns down here these days. I hit it with MSMA today. The guys at Lesco weren't able to offer me much more help.
Bill Craig!