PDA

View Full Version : automatic or manual tranny?

KNOWHOWELTD
06-16-2002, 04:50 PM
on a f350 desil do i want an automatic or a manual tranny.... lawn and landscape trailor, not super heavy hauling

Dennis E.
06-16-2002, 05:42 PM
2K F-350 PSD,CC,long bed.
I've got the auto. (With a few aftermarket goodies.):D
Does a great job pulling the trailer. The extra HP helps keeping up with traffic.
I would have loved to get a "sixer" but I'm happy with the auto.
I wish I had the 3:73 instead of the 4:10 rear.

Mowingman
06-16-2002, 05:42 PM
Get the Automatic. Avoid the manual. I bought several F350 Fords for my previous employer. Most had manual transmissions and all of the manuals were troublesome and expensive to repair. The Trans. itself was not the problem, it was the clutch. In every truck, we replaced the clutch on an average of once every 30,000 miles and it costs a fortune. You can almost replace the automatic trans. for what it costs to just replace a clutch. None of these trucks were even used for towing trailers. The ones with the automatic trans. had over 150,000 miles on them and were still going strong when I left there.:)

Dennis E.
06-16-2002, 05:46 PM
When the auto goes "south" there is a shop in the south-east that builds "killer" trannies for the PSD. He advertises at the Ford truck site that I frequent.
Brians Truck Shop.

Brickman
06-17-2002, 01:29 AM
When the PS clutch goes you got to put in a heavy duty Luk clutch. If you put in factory OEM you will continue to have the same problem. I got 70K or 80K out of mine before the clutch went. I pull heavy (as much as 30,000 lbs gross) some times too.

On the original question. If you do a lot of stop and go during the day (mowing route) then you will want the slip and slide box. I have the 6 spd. During the summer I WISH for an auto. The rest of the year I get along great with the manual.

KNOWHOWELTD
06-17-2002, 01:50 AM
yeah i talked to this one dude who knew this guy in cali who set him up with an aftermarket clutch kit in his truck... im sure they are pretty common, but i hadnt heard much about them... but like dumping the clutch doesnt hurt the transmission, so there are a lot fewer problems with grinding and stalling, but this kit ran him 4 or 5k, so i think i will be better off with the auto... if i were pulling 30,000 lbs of steel in the mountains mabey the 6 would be for me, but i think i can handle what ive got with the auto.

and a question about dulleys, will mileage change much between a standard 4 wheel or the dulley in the back? im talking a ford f350 disel. i dont need it for the towing im doing right now, but it would be nice for 5th wheel type applications, and just to have the extra width for if i ever did need it...

Brickman
06-17-2002, 01:59 AM
The guy that spent 4 or 5K on a clutch kit got raped. Unless he bought a racing application. I spent less than $700 on mine. Plus installation.
I would think that dumping the clutch would be hard on any clutch. I do not do that with mine.

Dunno on your mileage. More tires on the road means more friction, but I don't know if it is enough to notice on the mileage.

ADLAWNCUTTERS
06-17-2002, 02:51 AM
go with the auto. i love thoses guys that want standards you might as well skip the starter and go with a hand crank like they did with the model t. it's too hard to drive with a cup of coffie while shifting.i have three f-350 diesel with auto and love them.i will not use anything else.

Brickman
06-17-2002, 09:12 AM
Too hard to drive with a cup of coffee? LEARN HOW TO DRIVE.

I have drove a standard thru town, watching the lights, DRINKING MY COFFEE, talking on the cell phone and writing in the note pad. All while shifting the truck. If you don't believe me, ask the two guys that were riding with me. I was pulling my lawn trailer at the time as well.

KNOWHOWELTD
06-20-2002, 11:49 AM
heh multitasker

chopper4ME
07-08-2002, 10:24 PM
I'll take the standard: more power and torque to the ground and in a Ford-International application more power/torque available with the standard. 275/525 vs.250/500 dyno's don't lie and will support this fact. i have a '95 350 with the 5 speed and been loaded heavier than chipped SD's and I walk all over them in the hills,just goes to show who's getting all that grunt to the wheels.
I'd have to quote a member froma different site: cyber beers to all my SHIFTY friends!:blob4:

rkbrown
07-09-2002, 11:43 AM
I loved driving the 6 speed...wife had problems depressing the clutch all the way (ya...I know, but she does drive it sometimes), so we would up with an auto

Pelican
08-04-2002, 09:02 PM
I own both, and both are Fords. I have the auto in the F-350 SRW flatbed for pulling my mower trailer and plowing residential driveways.

I get manuals in my dump trucks to handle the heavy loads. I had a '94 F-350 dump with an auto and the tranny went to lunch at 32,000 miles. Cost me $2200 and 2 weeks down time. My dumps do street plowing so there's not a lot of backing and shifting on their route, I feel the manual handles heavy loads better.

The other thing to consider is servicability. I can replace the clutch on my truck in a day's time, but you are at the mercy of a tranny shop if the auto fails. As I mentioned, my truck was down 2 weeks for the tranny repair and I missed 3 snow storms and the related revenue during this time.

Gravel Rat
08-05-2002, 12:50 AM
Manual trannys are the only way togo I never did like juicers and never will for use in a truck heavier than a 1/2 ton I had a auto in a old 70s Ford 350 and lost the tranny and had to stop the load with the brakes alone. With a manual you can use the gears to down shift and you know it will hold you back and if you have to double clutch it into 1st gear.

08-12-2002, 07:43 PM
One point to consider is will the truck be driven by you only or is it liable to be driven by "anyone & everyone"?

This is based solely on what I have seen at my work, in a different business (welding/fabricating) but if the truck is going to see a lot of different drivers the automatic is, IMO, your best bet. Other than shifting between "D" and "R" before coming to a complete stop, there's not t-o-o much a "flunky" can do to hurt an automatic, provided the maintenance is up to par.

The same "flunky" can burn up a clutch and/or tear the driveshaft(s) out on a manual transmission fairly quickly, especially when you're towing or carrying a full load.

m&m
08-18-2002, 07:55 PM
if a ford diesel, get a stick shift.........that is unless ford has redone their tranny's and are no longer having probs with it

replace clutch every 30,000? good gracious who is driving that thing? i had over 90,000 miles on factory clutch and that was while pulling a 30 foot flatbed almost everyday.....maybe 75% of time i had the trailer hooked up

Pelican
08-18-2002, 09:51 PM
In every truck, we replaced the clutch on an average of once every 30,000 miles and it costs a fortune.
I missed this the first time, m&m's right Mowingman, your boss needs to do some driver training.

You can almost replace the automatic trans. for what it costs to just replace a clutch.
If you're paying $2200 for a clutch, you're getting hosed! Parts are around $400, another $50 to turn the flywheel, plus a day's labor, around here that would total to $810. If you have any machanical skills, you can do the work yourself, it takes about 6 hours if all goes well.

Brickman
08-18-2002, 10:32 PM
I replaced mine with a heavy duty Luk clutch kit, includes a new fly wheel for some thing like $650 in parts. Supposedly WAY better than factory.

m&m
08-19-2002, 11:04 AM
brickman
i had my flywheel replaced when i did my clutch also........the factory clutches in the fords were not right..........they even admitted that the idea they tried was not as good as they thought it wouyld be.......instead of having springs in the clutch to absorb pressure, they had a dual flywheel that had something like a rubber "cushion " in between them......kinda hard to explain but Dorain told me about it when he fixed mine......all is well now....

as for the other guy, if he can find a auto tranny replacement for the price of a clutch,, lemme know because i have friends who would be very grateful to him......lol

Brickman
08-19-2002, 11:09 AM
Dual mass fly wheel. Not one of Fords better ideas.

But then it is hard to be the best ALL the time.

rkbrown
08-19-2002, 11:29 AM
I want to second what Dennis said above. If you wind up with an auto, plan to make a road trip to Arkansas when it gives out Brian's Truck Shop has been touted as the best bulletproof transmission rebuilber for the PSD's.

http://www.brianstruckshop.com

m&m
08-19-2002, 06:25 PM
thanks brickman....couldnt remember what it was calledand no, it wasnt one of their best ideas.........but u know the saying, ya learn from mistakes