PDA

View Full Version : I new.

killerbee133
03-13-2010, 07:43 PM
Hey guys I knew to the site just had some general questions for you all. I've done hardscaping and irrigation for 4 years with an employer. I've been doing side jobs doing lakeshore hardscaping and making some decent change on the side. I was wondering what I would all have to do to get registered as a business. Do I need to be registered? Do i need insurance? I'm young but I do it old school all manual labor no tractors no skids just halling blocks down to the lake by hand. I would like any advice ?'s you may have to help me out. Any help would be grealtly appreciated.

csl
03-13-2010, 08:03 PM
are you serioulsy asking these questions??? what part of anything you asked makes sense? of course you have to have a contractors lic., of course you need insurance. and be very careful about who you let know that you are doing side work. i pay 10's of thousands of dollars a year in L&I, insurance, lic., etc... and when i catch people locally doing sidework i do my best to make sure they get busted. if i have to pay that much to be legit then so do you.

However, start by going down to the L&I office, and you might want to keep your mouth shut about sidework:nono:

killerbee133
03-13-2010, 08:27 PM
I was just asking man I didn't mean to offend you. I didn't know since I usually only do 4-5 jobs a summer, if I needed to. I don't advertise, i've just gotten jobs by others taking notice of my work. I usually just to jobs on the weekend if time allows. I was more interested in the process of how everyone else does this I'm new I don't want to step on toes.

hoskm01
03-13-2010, 09:53 PM
If you are going to go in to business for yourself, get a license and insurance, like csl stated. Additionally, stay in or go back to school. Your spelling and grammar is atrocious. Few customers want to deal with someone who can't effectively communicate in English.

Stuttering Stan
03-13-2010, 09:59 PM
I concur with the above statements. Learning to communicate effectively and correctly is very important in business.

Meezer
03-14-2010, 12:44 AM
I was just asking man I didn't mean to offend you. I didn't know since I usually only do 4-5 jobs a summer, if I needed to. I don't advertise, i've just gotten jobs by others taking notice of my work. I usually just to jobs on the weekend if time allows. I was more interested in the process of how everyone else does this I'm new I don't want to step on toes.

Don't worry about offending anyone & don't stop asking questions here or elsewhere. Shop around for insurance. You'll need it.

As far as registering you business, you'll have to check with your state's dept. of revenue, secretary of states office or whatever it's called by you.

With regards to licensing: Every state has different licensing requirements for hardscape, some states like mine (Indiana) don't have any. Some towns have it, some don't. Do your homework

Good luck

Bru75
03-14-2010, 01:19 AM
Check with the agency in your state that regulates contractors about what license you need. You probably also need to be licensed in your county or city and maybe some others where you plan to work.
In some states you don't need a license if your jobs are under a certain dollar amount, but if you plan to make a living out of this then get the license so you won't be limited.
You definitely need insurance.
You will most likely need to register your business name with your state.
I appreciate the fact that you do things "old school", but if you are planning to make a long term career out of this then make an investment in the right equipment. After a while your body will wear out.
Starting and owning a business is not easy, but it is worth doing. If you're serious about it, it is worth doing it the right way.

csl
03-14-2010, 02:41 PM
i am not trying to be a jerk, i just have a strong dislike for those that dont play by the same rules the rest of us abide by. every year more and more people decide to open up shop and destroy our market. by you doing "side jobs" and not charging the going rates, taxes, etc. you are killing our market. the prices i am seeing today are those people paid in the 1970's, and gas, materials and labor have seen a 4x increase. so play by the rules, thats my only point. with that said, good luck.

killerbee133
03-14-2010, 05:14 PM
Hey guys, thanks for all the help. And as for going back to school.. the sad thing is i just graduated college. So it's mine understanding insurance is number one and then getting licensed. I really didn't make my self clear in my first post. I was asking if you had to get licensed because my sales rep told me I didn't need to. So from what some of you are saying it really depends on where you live, dollar amount, and if your doing it full time. And CSL it's obviously not my intention to drive the market down. I get paid what I want because people come to me for jobs. The said thing is if you really do good work people don't care what the cost is.

As for Insurance what kind of insurance should I get I am not to familiar with it.

amscapes03
03-14-2010, 07:26 PM
1. First come up with a business name. 2. Register with your state. 3. If your state doesn't require a license for Landscape/Hardscape then go to your town hall and register for a business license using your new business name. 4. Open up a Business Checking and Savings Account using the business name. 5. Get Liability Insurance under your business name. 6. Make up business cards. 7. Work like hell!!!! 8. Purchase hand tools and small equipment with cash as much as you can.......avoid using credit. Always use spell check!!!! Good Luck.

killerbee133
03-14-2010, 08:25 PM
Thanks for your help, i really appreciate it.

PatriotLandscape
03-14-2010, 08:39 PM
you dumb.

Seriously your sentence structure is worse than my first graders. You spelled new correctly in the Topic and three words into the post you used it incorrectly.

You need to go back and take comp 101 again.

I know I'm as ******* but it makes me upset to bid against other people that are undercutting and unprofessional.

killerbee133
03-14-2010, 08:49 PM
That's why I'm here asking questions any information would be helpful.

Meezer
03-14-2010, 09:26 PM
That's why I'm here asking questions any information would be helpful.

That is a good thing. You'll find a lot of useful information here in the Hardscaping forum. In addition, I wouldn't lose any sleep over the ripping by the grammar police. :)

Hardscaping
03-14-2010, 10:25 PM
Get what ever your city requires you to get.
Easiest way to find out what that is, is by going to your town or city hall.
Insurance is a must. Another thing, if your insurance finds out you are transporting any work tools in your vehicle without contractor liability then you will be canceled.

Work your ass off and don't worry about pissing off others by stepping on their toes. They will step on your head if they can, so be reasonable but never let them overrun you.

You are working for a landscape company? Don't let them know you are leaving to become their competitor. Unless they already knew this and are fine with helping you. ( all depends on the way the people you are working for think. )

Don't get loans for anything until you can almost afford to buy what you are buying in cash.

WORK ETHIC is really your friend in this industry.

Good luck. Don't get into this business just part time. Reason why is because the PART TIME GUYS usually bring the prices down because they don't have to make a full living plus retirement from doing this. Part time is a way to start only, not part time for life.