PDA

View Full Version : Where do you put your flyers

mowerdude777
03-14-2010, 05:25 PM
Well I pass out fliers in two neighborhoods for the most part, and one has a mail box at the curb of the homes where the other has mailboxes put on the porch or close to the house. I had always put the pliers on the curbside mail boxes until last year since it was my first year advertising in the other neighborhood I figured i will be walking there from house to house so I might as well put the fliers up at the door in the other neighborhood. I figured that puting fliers at the door would get more busnises and it did not, however I did land work in the other neighborhood where I had to walk to the door. I think I am just going to put fliers at the curbside mailbox in the one neighborhood, what do you do in this situation? Thanks- Ryan:waving:

Darryl G
03-14-2010, 05:45 PM
I suggest you read the postal regulations. It is illegal to put fliers in or on any mailbox in the USA.

Advertising on a mailbox or its supporting post is prohibited.

Our regulations cover what can and canít be placed in a curbside mailbox or mailbox outside of your house, which generally includes only mail that has been sent through the USPS. However, our regulations donít govern what can be placed in a mail slot on your door.

mowerdude777
03-14-2010, 05:47 PM
I suggest you read the postal regulations. It is illegal to put fliers in or on any mailbox in the USA.

Advertising on a mailbox or its supporting post is prohibited.

Our regulations cover what can and canít be placed in a curbside mailbox or mailbox outside of your house, which generally includes only mail that has been sent through the USPS. However, our regulations donít govern what can be placed in a mail slot on your door.

I worded my post a bit wrong sorry, I never put them inside the mailbox I either rubberband them to the handle of the mailbox, or if there is a news paper box on it I put in in there I think that is allright a lot of lcos around here do it that way

mowerman11
03-14-2010, 05:53 PM
It is against the law to put them in or on the mailbox. If i ever saw anyone messing with my mailbox, I would be pissed off.

Darryl G
03-14-2010, 05:55 PM
Yah, can't put on the mailbox either.

mowerdude777
03-14-2010, 05:56 PM
Yah, can't put on the mailbox either.

Well that sucks, I guess I now have to walk up to each house, I wonder why so many lcos get away with it though.

mowerman11
03-14-2010, 06:03 PM
the postmaster can fine you if you get reported. I guess some get away with it and some don't

AbbottCon.
03-14-2010, 06:24 PM
we strictly do door hangers for that reason plus its fairly cheap and i think something made at a printing shop looks more professional anyways.

SuperiorService.110mb.com
03-14-2010, 06:31 PM
I never looked it up on the net but from expereance you can put them anywhere on (not in) the mail box you want as long as that door does not open. When I first started I had the cops called on me for putting fliers in the mailbox as I was 15 and just got my DL like two weeks prior and was trying to get out of the naborhood. The cop told me just not in and ever since never had a problem and even advertising companies put then on the box. Post Office owns inside the box not the box.:usflag:

Darryl G
03-14-2010, 06:39 PM
It is illegal to put advertising in or on any part of a mailbox or it's support. I suggest you read the regulations yourself or check with your postmaster if you don't believe me.

03-14-2010, 06:43 PM
My and many other mailbox also have a area for a newspaper. So if it was not legal the postmasters would not allow these types of mailboxes

Darryl G
03-14-2010, 07:11 PM
This is the actual regulation section covering this:

3.1.3 Use for Mail
Except under 3.2.11, Newspaper Receptacle, the receptacles described in 3.1.1 may be used only for matter bearing postage. Other than as permitted by 3.2.10, Delivery of Unstamped Newspapers, or 3.2.11, no part of a mail receptacle may be used to deliver any matter not bearing postage, including items or matter placed upon, supported by, attached to, hung from, or inserted into a mail receptacle. Any mailable matter not bearing postage and found as described above is subject to the same postage as would be paid if it were carried by mail.

I think that makes it pretty clear! You can't legally put your flyer in or on a mail box or it's post. You can put it in a mail slot in a door though. Where I am, the postal carrier will collect any flyers they find and you will be charged the postage that would have been due if you mailed them.

Darryl G
03-14-2010, 07:15 PM
My and many other mailbox also have a area for a newspaper. So if it was not legal the postmasters would not allow these types of mailboxes

Yes, newspaper receptacles are permitted, with conditions.

This is easy enough to look up and stupid to argue about if you don't know what you're talking about!

3.2.11 Newspaper Receptacle
A receptacle for newspaper delivery by private carriers may be attached to the post of a curbside mailbox used by the USPS if the receptacle:

a. Does not touch the mailbox or use any part of the mailbox for support.

b. Does not interfere with the delivery of mail, obstruct the view of the mailbox flag, or present a hazard to carrier or vehicle.

c. Does not extend beyond the front of the mailbox when the box door is closed.

d. Does not display advertising, except the publication title.

03-14-2010, 07:31 PM
[I]3.2.11 Newspaper Receptacle
A receptacle for newspaper delivery by private carriers may be attached to the post of a curbside mailbox used by the USPS if the receptacle:

a. Does not touch the mailbox or use any part of the mailbox for support.

Mine and many around here touch the mailbox and use the mail box for support as they are all in one. You have the mailbox on top and the newspaper slot on the bottom. One piece plastic form.

Even though I have never heard of anyone getting any fine. Now if you were driving up to mailboxs and someone called the cops and they came and you had no flyers on you and in the mailboxes you already went to or mail in your truck then you would be screwed, but they would give you a warning if you were really passing out flyers.

Darryl G
03-14-2010, 07:41 PM
Well apparently y'all are "SPECIAL"

I didn't write the postal regulations and it's not up to me to enforce them. But I don't go around breaking federal laws to pedal my services. I use legal forms of advertising. Do as you wish. Just don't come crying here if you get busted!

mowerdude777
03-14-2010, 07:42 PM
This just seems to have turned in to an arguement now. Can a mod please close this thread

Darryl G
03-14-2010, 07:54 PM
I'm not arguing...I'm giving facts that are readily available and supported by actual regulations. Whether people choose to ignore them is not my concern as long as it's not my mailbox (which by the way is on the wrong side of the road, lol).

The purpose of this site is to share information, and I'm the only one who has backed mine up by citing specific postal regulations.

Consider yourself informed and do with it what you please. :)

mowerdude777
03-14-2010, 08:06 PM
I'm not arguing...I'm giving facts that are readily available and supported by actual regulations. Whether people choose to ignore them is not my concern as long as it's not my mailbox (which by the way is on the wrong side of the road, lol).

The purpose of this site is to share information, and I'm the only one who has backed mine up by citing specific postal regulations.

Consider yourself informed and do with it what you please. :)

I just think this thread seems to have gone downhill. And just to let everyone know I am going to obey the rules and put all my fliers at the front door of the homes instead. I do not want any trouble from the postmaster so I am going to obey all the rules I need to. I am sorry if you felt that I was accusing you of arguing. -Ryan:waving:

Darryl G
03-15-2010, 09:46 AM
It's the law of gravity...everything tends to go downhill, lol. And no problem Ryan. Good luck with you marketing efforts.

I think the bottom line is that the postal regulations are clear, but local enforcement will vary from area to area. I do know that around here they don't allow people to put flyers on or in mail boxes. They will collect any they find and use the contact information on the flyer to contact the company and bill them for the postage that would have been due if they were mailed. I don't know if they then send them out through the mail or what.

Marcos
03-15-2010, 10:42 AM
Well that sucks, I guess I now have to walk up to each house, I wonder why so many lcos get away with it though.

Because frankly if people aren't ignorant of the law to report it, they're either lazy or too busy.

Here's a unique concept, md:
Go up to the door, ring the doorbell, wait for the prospect to open the door to actually communicate with you! :waving:

Yeah, you won't pass out nearly as many flyers that way, but I'll bet because you've had those very brief sales pitches one-on-one, at the end of the day you'll end up with more sales per neighborhood.

jblatti13
03-15-2010, 08:55 PM
many of you guys may have done the mailbox thing and gotten away with it, but take it from me personally...

delivering fliers for my uncles fert. company, put over 500 on mailboxes, not in, but between flag and box. he got a $385 fine.

second time, my business fliers, put them on mailboxes in a different town, different post office and all that, the post lady picked up everyone of them, didnt turn them in, but called me personally and said dont do this crap anymore.

theres your living proof. it is illegal, cops dont have anything to do with the mail. just dont it, not worth a fine.

Darryl G
03-15-2010, 10:07 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=9774

An old post on the topic. There is some misinformation in it but also some stories from others who have been caught. The misinformation is that the outside and post are ok..they are not.

NorthTXlawnguy
03-15-2010, 10:13 PM
Darryl, I like your research and have done it myself. Many years ago when I was young and didn't know better or do my research I did the mailbox thing and got a call and warning from the postmaster and have played by the book ever since.
Something else to consider is the Post Office is in dire straights like many cities/towns so fines are being handed out left and right....
5 over used to be a normal thing while driving and rarely pulled over and then just a warning. Now it is a ticket and FINE. just my .02

LouisianaLawnboy
03-15-2010, 11:50 PM
Darryl is right on this one. I've known ever since I was a little kid it was illegal to mess with other peoples mailbox. It is illegal to put anything on the mailbox or the pole.

Ryan, if I were you I would go with doorhangers. PM if you would like a good deal on some.

mowerdude777
03-16-2010, 03:13 PM
Darryl is right on this one. I've known ever since I was a little kid it was illegal to mess with other peoples mailbox. It is illegal to put anything on the mailbox or the pole.

Ryan, if I were you I would go with doorhangers. PM if you would like a good deal on some.

I am doing rubberband flyers on doors, I need to save my money since I am getting a bobcat 32 (most likely) this weekend

J&A Lawn Care
03-16-2010, 08:06 PM
well I put about 200 flyers out in a subdivsion one day.I was wondering a week or so later why I had not got a call from anyone in there cause there is alot of maintenance that goes on it that place.I get a letter in the mail from the post master with a bill for $110.Luckily one of my customers works with him.He talked to him and the post master dropped it.The economy is rough and USPS is starting to pick up flyers in my area left and right

Darryl G
03-16-2010, 09:27 PM
I am doing rubberband flyers on doors, I need to save my money since I am getting a bobcat 32 (most likely) this weekend

A 32 inch Bobcat walk behind mower? You replacing something or is this an addition to your fleet?

mowerdude777
03-16-2010, 10:00 PM
A 32 inch Bobcat walk behind mower? You replacing something or is this an addition to your fleet?

A bit of both I am ditching the ferris as a reg mower it is now a spare. I will just keep it in my grage for if I ever need it. But it is also an addition:)

Cross Cut
03-16-2010, 10:02 PM
Make sure the subdivisions do not have associations. Btw, I was walking out to the mailbox to meet my letter carrier. As I removed a flyer my the carrier promptly said they would call and give a warning.

mowerdude777
03-16-2010, 10:13 PM
Make sure the subdivisions do not have associations. Btw, I was walking out to the mailbox to meet my letter carrier. As I removed a flyer my the carrier promptly said they would call and give a warning.

One does one does not. Oh I have seen your rig in traffic before crosscut.

Darryl G
03-16-2010, 11:55 PM
A bit of both I am ditching the ferris as a reg mower it is now a spare. I will just keep it in my grage for if I ever need it. But it is also an addition:)

Cool! I don't have much use for anything that small around here unless I start going after the cottage lots...but most of them are little more than some clumps of grass and sand.

Early grats on the mower, and don't go parking it in front of any mailboxes, it's illegal to obstruct them you know. :laugh:

LouisianaLawnboy
03-16-2010, 11:56 PM
Cool! I don't have much use for anything that small around here unless I start going after the cottage lots...but most of them are little more than some clumps of grass and sand.

Early grats on the mower, and don't go parking it in front of any mailboxes, it's illegal to obstruct them you know. :laugh:

A 32 will definitely get you into almost all gates and small opening. You will want a big one though on the open lots.

Glenn Lawn Care
03-17-2010, 12:31 AM
it is against the law to touch someones mail box. just put them at the front door!

electronics2667
03-17-2010, 02:10 PM
Hey man this is the way we do our flyers, knock on the door first, then talk to the person face to face you will get more business that way the people wiil think you are serious about your business, if nobody answer the the door get you some door knob hanging bags. I think this is the right website address.They are pretty cheap here.

Schu'sLawnDesign
03-25-2010, 11:56 PM
i had a newspaper route when i was a kid and the mail man told me it was illegal to even put the newspaper in the mailbox. stick with the door handle that way if the people see you, you get a chance to introduce yourself.

Southern Pride
03-26-2010, 02:39 AM
So, I guess the question is what do you "legit" guys do?

Literally walk to every door? Send a bunch of flyers out with the postman? Ad's?

I'm going to have to stick to rubber band on the mailbox for now. No time or money to do the others. People in my area could care less. There is a new landscaping company flyer ON or IN my mailbox everyday.

cgaengineer
03-26-2010, 06:46 AM
If i ever saw anyone messing with my mailbox, I would be pissed off.

Why? If they were allowed to do it so would you. I never say anything to someone who tapes something on my mailbox. If I dont like what it is they are selling I toss it in the trash just like the junk mail inside the mailbox.

The way I see it is I had to walk to the mailbox anyway, no skin off my back. Now what would bother me is if every flyer they taped to the mailboxes fell off and littered my neighborhood.

Kennedy Landscaping
03-26-2010, 02:02 PM
I stick them in the door because there's just too many laws to mess with and too many people to piss off with the mailbox. Seems like no matter where you put it someone gets mad.

kgcs
03-28-2010, 08:12 PM
This is the actual regulation section covering this:

3.1.3 Use for Mail
Except under 3.2.11, Newspaper Receptacle, the receptacles described in 3.1.1 may be used only for matter bearing postage. Other than as permitted by 3.2.10, Delivery of Unstamped Newspapers, or 3.2.11, no part of a mail receptacle may be used to deliver any matter not bearing postage, including items or matter placed upon, supported by, attached to, hung from, or inserted into a mail receptacle. Any mailable matter not bearing postage and found as described above is subject to the same postage as would be paid if it were carried by mail.

I think that makes it pretty clear! You can't legally put your flyer in or on a mail box or it's post. You can put it in a mail slot in a door though. Where I am, the postal carrier will collect any flyers they find and you will be charged the postage that would have been due if you mailed them.

If what I read is the exact wording of the regulation, I believe there is a loophole. It says "no part of a mail receptacle may be used to deliver any matter not bearing postage". It does not state that it must be correct postage. You could put a one cent stamp on your flyer and put it on the mailbox, or for a matter of fact, inside it legally. Also, It does not state who must deliver it. So you would be able to do it yourself.

Darryl G
03-28-2010, 08:42 PM
Wrong! Next.

electronics2667
03-28-2010, 08:51 PM
If what I read is the exact wording of the regulation, I believe there is a loophole. It says "no part of a mail receptacle may be used to deliver any matter not bearing postage". It does not state that it must be correct postage. You could put a one cent stamp on your flyer and put it on the mailbox, or for a matter of fact, inside it legally. Also, It does not state who must deliver it. So you would be able to do it yourself.

I support the doorknob hanging bags. With this you can meet the person face to face & have a better chance of get the yard.

kgcs
03-28-2010, 09:17 PM
Wrong! Next.

Then inform me of a regulation against this. According to the current regulation, unless they changed it since I posted this, this is perfectly legal.

Darryl G
03-28-2010, 09:24 PM
Yah, you're right...go ahead and do it...go opening peoples mailboxes and putting stuff in them with a one cent stamp on them....ain't you clever, rofl.

kgcs
03-28-2010, 09:28 PM
Yah, you're right...go ahead and do it...go opening peoples mailboxes and putting stuff in them with a one cent stamp on them....ain't you clever, rofl.

It might not be ethical but it is legal. I would recommend putting on the outside of the mail box though.

Darryl G
03-28-2010, 09:43 PM
Rofl...I give up!

Darryl G
03-28-2010, 10:19 PM
If you want to try putting a one cent stamp on your flier and violate federal law by opening people's mailboxes, I say go for it...they should get a real kick out of it. And you can't put it ON the mailbox either. Find a legal way to advertise!!!!!!!!!!!

8.3 Mailable Matter Without Postage in or on Mail Receptacles
8.3.1 Penalty
[11-29-09] Whoever knowingly and willfully deposits any mailable matter (such as statements of account, circulars, sale bills, or other like matter) on which no postage is paid, in any letterbox established, approved, or accepted by the Postal Service for the receipt or delivery of mail matter on any route, with intent to avoid payment of lawful postage thereon, shall for each such offense be fined not more than $5,000.00 per individual or $10,000.00 per organization (18 USC 1725, 3571).
8.3.2 Liability for Postage
Except for limited use by newspapers under 508.3.0, any mailable matter not bearing postage found in, upon, attached to, supported by, or hung from private mail receptacles described in 508.3.0 is subject to payment of the same postage if carried by mail.

8.3.3 Full Distribution
If there is a distribution of identical pieces to all or substantially all addresses on a route, only a representative number of pieces is returned to the delivery unit. Postage is computed as described in 8.3.4.

8.3.4 Partial Distribution
If there is a distribution of pieces to some, but not all, addresses on a route, pieces are returned to the delivery unit for use in computing the postage due. First-Class Mail prices are applied to matter that would require First-Class Mail postage if mailed. For other matter, if the piece weighs less than 16 ounces, the applicable single-piece First-Class Mail or Priority Mail price based on the weight of the piece is applied, or an applicable Package Services price is applied, whichever is lower. If the piece weighs 16 ounces or more, the Package Services price is applied.

8.3.5 Known Distributor
If there is reason to believe that a private delivery firm or an individual within the Post Office delivery area is responsible for the delivery, the local postmaster notifies that party of the number of pieces and the postage due. If, within 5 days after notice, the firm or individual agrees to pay the postage due, payment is accepted and the pieces are delivered to the addressees. The party paying the postage may choose to redeliver the pieces rather than have the USPS deliver them. If the pieces are found to have been removed from receptacles improperly, they are delivered without postage charge.

8.3.6 Unknown Distributor
If the party responsible for delivery is not known or if the firm requested fails to pay the postage, the pieces are returned to the publisher or manufacturer, postage due and endorsed to show they were found in or on the addressee's mailbox without postage. If a publisher or manufacturer gives the name and telephone number of a person to contact and guarantees postage payment, the pieces are redelivered to the addressees. If the publisher or manufacturer is unknown or refuses the pieces, the matter is treated as dead mail.

HUSTLERGUY10
03-28-2010, 11:14 PM
If you place a flyer with one cent postage on it in the mailbox and IT HAS NOT BEEN CANCELED BY POST OFFICE the carrier will pick it up and return it or redeliver it the next day as postage due. I really doubt many people would give you business if you send them a postage due letter. I know this for a fact because I have been a letter carrier for the USPS for 32 yrs.

electronics2667
03-28-2010, 11:38 PM
This guy don't have any sense at all or he is so cheap that he will not follow the USPS rules.

Darryl G
03-29-2010, 12:25 AM
i've been through this a half dozen times and you can cite people the regs and they still won't listen

kgcs
03-29-2010, 06:41 AM
I was not say to actually do it. That is why I said that it was not ethical. I just came across this forum and I read what people said and I realized that there was a loophole in the law. I was just stating that the person that already put flyers on mailboxes already (not inside) could now legally do it. They would just have to put the stamp on the back or somewhere. Also, I am not cheap, I mail my postcards to my potential customers for the full postcard rate which is $0.28 per piece.

Darryl G
03-29-2010, 09:03 AM
There is no loophole! It's bad advice! That was just one section of the postal regulations. And you can't even put it on the mailbox. Not in it, not on it, not on the post...they have it covered. If you want to use a mailbox to distribute advertising, you need to pay postage.

electronics2667
03-29-2010, 09:16 AM
There is no loophole! It's bad advice! That was just one section of the postal regulations. And you can't even put it on the mailbox. Not in it, not on it, not on the post...they have it covered. If you want to use a mailbox to distribute advertising, you need to pay postage.

I agree but some people will not listen i guess when they get caught & get the 5,000 fine those people will listen then.