PDA

View Full Version : Plate Tamp damage to pavers

Westbrooklawn
03-14-2010, 06:11 PM
I've been in the landscape maintenance business for 20 years, but this is the first time I am doing a paver job... at my own home I might add. I'm clear on the right process for prep and laying the pavers, but I am getting mixed answers on running the plate tamp over the final patio to set the pavers. I am using Belgard Cambridge pavers, and will be using poly sand to fill cracks. Some folks are telling me I will really scratch the paver surface if I don't use a plate with a poly face on it. Others say the sand on top of the pavers will absorb the contact with the metal plate, and when done I can just sweep off the excess sand... no damage to pavers. I'm having a hard time finding a tamp to rent with a poly plate... advice?

Dirt Boy
03-14-2010, 06:16 PM
An old piece of carpet and a couple pieces of baling wire to tie it on will do just as good.

Depends somewhat on the surface texture of the paver. Rougher faced ones will have "point" contact, and be more likely to be scuffed, smoother ones would have "face to face" contact, and be less likely to scuff.

Send some pic's of the finished job!!

Good Luck

zedosix
03-14-2010, 07:59 PM
Spread sand first, lay a piece of non woven geo-textile then compact. It also keeps the poly dust down to a minimum.

brickpuller
03-14-2010, 09:36 PM
The sand will protect it as long as you keep it thick, but my guys do use filter fabric if they don't have a pad. Hey if you break a brick while compacting, buy one of my paver pullers to remove it! lol

cameronderzack
03-14-2010, 11:10 PM
I think I may have some of the best advice for you ha..

but really especially if you're going to rent a tamper it is hard to find a place with the rubber bottom for the tamper

sooo... What should do is get a couple pieces of plywood 4'x8' sheets and lay them down to run the tamper over. Overall it self levels the pavers the best way versus the 24in surface from the tamper

Westbrooklawn
03-15-2010, 09:08 AM
Great advice from all... thanks! I have plenty of geotextile laying around, so I can certainly do that, and I also have several 4x8 sheets of OSB laying around... my only concern on using a 4/8 sheet of ply or OSB is that it seems the compaction wouldn't be as good since you are spreading the impact of the tamp over a larger area... does this make sense?

zedosix
03-15-2010, 12:05 PM
Great advice from all... thanks! I have plenty of geotextile laying around, so I can certainly do that, and I also have several 4x8 sheets of OSB laying around... my only concern on using a 4/8 sheet of ply or OSB is that it seems the compaction wouldn't be as good since you are spreading the impact of the tamp over a larger area... does this make sense?

Yes it does, make sure the geo tex is the thicker retaining wall type. Not the one for under the interlock.